Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Smhutto & Ivy log,

The following is currently on the GA State DDS website under classes of licenses:

Class F (formerly Non-Commercial Class B)**
Class F:
Single vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds; and the unit being towed is less than 10,000 pounds; and motor vehicles included within Class C. Applicants must possess a Class C driver’s license prior to obtaining a Class B driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age.

I interpret it to mean that in GA with a motorhome over 26,000 lbs towing something under 10,000 lbs requires a Class F license. I ran this up the chain of command at DDS to their headquarters and they agreed. I now have my Class F. Even though they changed the law, there seems to be conflicting sections within different areas of the GA code. Apparently when they clear that up you will need a class F if you meet those weight requirements.

Post #16 which says you only need a class c is on GA web site also, can’t believe anything you read on internet especially that has to do with government.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #30

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	215288
Old 08-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, that's what my Class c said also. Apparently good until your next license renewal.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm OK with the way GA does it

Have not paid property taxes on my last 2 motor homes in Georgia since 2014. Only a one time 6.5% ad valorem tag tax when I bought the rig(s). No sales taxes. No taxes after that other than the $20- a year tag fee. Why they have not hit me with a weight add on yet is beyond me.

The one time 6.5% tag (or whatever you want to call it) tax was only the difference between the value of the old rig I owned and the new one. This applies to motorized vehicles. TT's and 5vers pay ad valorem tax annually in GA. (at least in Troup County) Go figure.

I just renewed my GA Class C DL. The motorhome is over 26000 lbs GCVWR, The way I read the law I thought I needed a higher non commercial license. Examiner said no- all I need is a C. Got the license and it says plain as day all recreational vehicles included in a C license

Since there is no sales tax it works out as a pretty favorable place to buy and own a motorhome. No gripes by me as compared to others I've seen.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Smhutto & Ivy log,

The following is currently on the GA State DDS website under classes of licenses:

Class F (formerly Non-Commercial Class B)**
Class F:
Single vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds; and the unit being towed is less than 10,000 pounds; and motor vehicles included within Class C. Applicants must possess a Class C driver’s license prior to obtaining a Class B driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age.

I interpret it to mean that in GA with a motorhome over 26,000 lbs towing something under 10,000 lbs requires a Class F license. I ran this up the chain of command at DDS to their headquarters and they agreed. I now have my Class F. Even though they changed the law, there seems to be conflicting sections within different areas of the GA code. Apparently when they clear that up you will need a class F if you meet those weight requirements.
Did you have to take a test to obtain the license? From what I found on the DDS web site is that you have to take a knowledge test on certain parts of the CDL, take a sign test, and provide the DDS form self certifying that you have driven that type of vehicle for something like 3,000 miles.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Georgia Taxes

Quote:
Did you have to take a test to obtain the license?

For my Georgia Class “F” license:
1. Paid $32

2. Took standard CDL knowledge test. Computerized multiple choice test, 20 questions. You cannot miss more than 5.

3. Provided notarized self-certification.

No skills test.

There’s a chart in the front of the GA CDL manual showing which sections apply. You don’t need Passengers, Tankers, Hazardous materials, etc. you do need Air Brakes and the basic sections (1-5, if I recall correctly)

Got paper license that day; permanent license a couple of weeks later in the mail.

The only weird part is I got to keep my Class “C” license too. Is that normal?
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Have not paid property taxes on my last 2 motor homes in Georgia since 2014. Only a one time 6.5% ad valorem tag tax when I bought the rig(s). No sales taxes. No taxes after that other than the $20- a year tag fee. Why they have not hit me with a weight add on yet is beyond me.

The one time 6.5% tag (or whatever you want to call it) tax was only the difference between the value of the old rig I owned and the new one. This applies to motorized vehicles. TT's and 5vers pay ad valorem tax annually in GA. (at least in Troup County) Go figure.

I just renewed my GA Class C DL. The motorhome is over 26000 lbs GCVWR, The way I read the law I thought I needed a higher non commercial license. Examiner said no- all I need is a C. Got the license and it says plain as day all recreational vehicles included in a C license

Since there is no sales tax it works out as a pretty favorable place to buy and own a motorhome. No gripes by me as compared to others I've seen.
I agree it’s good provided you stay there a while. It is more affordable than Colorado after year 4 or so. I wish there was some way to get a 50% refund if you give up your residency, though :(
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
As noted by more than one person here, there is much confusion within the personel at DDS in GA as to which license to issue. Who knows if they will get it straightened out soon. I went with the Class F since it appears that is the direction the state is headed. Plus, I figured I have it covered with the class F if any authority figure checks it regardless of which state I'm in at the time.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
boomersooner,

Yes, I had to take the 20 question test, pay the $32 license fee, a $10 test fee, and certify that I had the necessary experience.

This is how it went down when I went to the drivers license center to get the license.

When I arrived and told them what I needed, I was told I did not need a Class F. I showed them the section of the law, they scratched their head and still told me I did not need the Class F. However, they took my name and number and said they would let me know if they found out different. I left and was about 2 miles away when my phone rang. The DDS office said that apparently there was a new section of the license law that said I did in fact need a Class F and if I returned to the office they would start the process. Upon my return, they said I might want to study the CDL test manual before I took the test. Since I had a CDL in the past, I optioned to pay the $10 and take the 20 question test. I thought I should be able to past it. Wrong. Missed 7 out of the 20 questions. Note that a good 17 of the questions had no connection to the rving world.

It turns out that you can only take the test one time in a 24 hour period, so I had to wait until the next day to take it again. So I took the 93 page CDL test guide with me and spent the evening studying. Late in the day I received another phone call from my local DDS office telling me they still did not think I needed the Class F but they would continue to look into it.

The next day when I returned to the license center, they thought I may need the license, so I paid another $10 test free and took another 20 question test. This time I passed. Then they told me I would get a paper learners permit! I complained about that which got me nowhere. I left and went to my rv to do some work. While there I got another phone call, this time from the district manager of DDS, telling me this was all a mistake and that to come back in as they were going to give me back my Class C. I said OK I'll be back within the hour to make the exchange. Within that hour I got another phone call from the district manager that said she talked to another district manager who told her that I did in fact need the Class F. Once again I said OK. At this point it had become a 3 ring circus and I was now chuckling about the whole situation.

When I got back to the license center, I was told they had gotten a ruling from someone high up at DDS Headquarters (Atlanta?) that said I did indeed need a Class F. Because of my troubles HQ authorized a waver to the permit and had them issue me the Class F on the spot and refund me $10 for one of the test fees.

And that my friends was how easy it was to get a Class F in GA.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
…$10 for one of the test fees.

Oops. I forgot about the $10 test fee in my note above.

I just told them I needed a non-commercial Class F license. I didn’t say why.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Georgia Taxes

PS- “Kathy”, the supervisor at Georgia DDS on County Services Parkway in Cobb County was SUPER helpful when the other folks didn’t know what to do. A shout out to her!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #40

Quote:
boomersooner,

Yes, I had to take the 20 question test, pay the $32 license fee, a $10 test fee, and certify that I had the necessary experience.

This is how it went down when I went to the drivers license center to get the license.

When I arrived and told them what I needed, I was told I did not need a Class F. I showed them the section of the law, they scratched their head and still told me I did not need the Class F. However, they took my name and number and said they would let me know if they found out different. I left and was about 2 miles away when my phone rang. The DDS office said that apparently there was a new section of the license law that said I did in fact need a Class F and if I returned to the office they would start the process. Upon my return, they said I might want to study the CDL test manual before I took the test. Since I had a CDL in the past, I optioned to pay the $10 and take the 20 question test. I thought I should be able to past it. Wrong. Missed 7 out of the 20 questions. Note that a good 17 of the questions had no connection to the rving world.

It turns out that you can only take the test one time in a 24 hour period, so I had to wait until the next day to take it again. So I took the 93 page CDL test guide with me and spent the evening studying. Late in the day I received another phone call from my local DDS office telling me they still did not think I needed the Class F but they would continue to look into it.

The next day when I returned to the license center, they thought I may need the license, so I paid another $10 test free and took another 20 question test. This time I passed. Then they told me I would get a paper learners permit! I complained about that which got me nowhere. I left and went to my rv to do some work. While there I got another phone call, this time from the district manager of DDS, telling me this was all a mistake and that to come back in as they were going to give me back my Class C. I said OK I'll be back within the hour to make the exchange. Within that hour I got another phone call from the district manager that said she talked to another district manager who told her that I did in fact need the Class F. Once again I said OK. At this point it had become a 3 ring circus and I was now chuckling about the whole situation.

When I got back to the license center, I was told they had gotten a ruling from someone high up at DDS Headquarters (Atlanta?) that said I did indeed need a Class F. Because of my troubles HQ authorized a waver to the permit and had them issue me the Class F on the spot and refund me $10 for one of the test fees.

WOW, how screwy is that!!! All that you stated regarding the requirements is pretty clearly spelled out on their web site. I have the sections of the CDL manual already printed out and have glanced over them. I am not going to purchase a new RV until January/February 2020 (plan on retiring Dec 2019). Currently we are tracking with ordering a gas Tiffin 36LA, but my mind could possibly be swayed to a diesel, and thus the need for the Class F. Thanks for your story, made me chuckle at how inefficient the DMC can be.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post

You are largely correct. Motorized vehicles are subject to a one time TITLE tax, now 7%, when the title is issued, and after that, yearly registration of $20. Title tax system went into effect in March of 2013, two of my vehicles are under the old system, and two under the new system. NON-Motorized vehicles, meaning trailers, fall under the old system, which is annual advalorem (meaning "at value") personal property tax, plus the $20 tag fee each year. The property tax is the exact same millage rate that is used to calculate the taxes on your house, meaning county taxes, city taxes (if levyed, about 68 incorporated municipalities in GA do not levy for tax, LaGrange being the largest), plus fire district, library, and various other special taxes found in certain counties.

Charles
Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
WOW, how screwy is that!!! All that you stated regarding the requirements is pretty clearly spelled out on their web site. I have the sections of the CDL manual already printed out and have glanced over them. I am not going to purchase a new RV until January/February 2020 (plan on retiring Dec 2019). Currently we are tracking with ordering a gas Tiffin 36LA, but my mind could possibly be swayed to a diesel, and thus the need for the Class F. Thanks for your story, made me chuckle at how inefficient the DMC can be.

From Ga? Read the back of your class C license. All recreational vehicles.