Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
From Ga? Read the back of your class C license. All recreational vehicles.
If you end up having to get a class F license you can thank those above that could not read the back of their license and leave well enough alone. My wife says Thank You.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
Anybody have info on how the property taxes on motor homes are in Georgia, compared to surrounding states?

Thanks!

Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia all have a personal property tax and the only way to know what they will charge is to ask them. I considered Georgia residency in 2006 and at that time my $250k boat would have cost me $4,000 a year. This goes down a bit each year as the value of the item (boat, RV, plane, auto, etc ...) depreciates. I was trying to escape a $4k insurance bill to keep the boat in Florida, where I ended up. At least I got insurance and not a tax deduction I didn't need in retirement. I am considering North Carolina to relocate (tired of NE FL after 10 years) but will contact their taxing authorities to see what my RV (insured for the purchase price of 65k used but have much more in it now). It really irks me that states that collect all kinds of taxes anyway, want you to pay annually for something you bought with after tax dollars, paid a sales tax on (one time thing you cannot escape), and pay a registration fee for. Beware - this is not a one time tax - you pay every single year.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia all have a personal property tax and the only way to know what they will charge is to ask them. I considered Georgia residency in 2006 and at that time my $250k boat would have cost me $4,000 a year. This goes down a bit each year as the value of the item (boat, RV, plane, auto, etc ...) depreciates. I was trying to escape a $4k insurance bill to keep the boat in Florida, where I ended up. At least I got insurance and not a tax deduction I didn't need in retirement. I am considering North Carolina to relocate (tired of NE FL after 10 years) but will contact their taxing authorities to see what my RV (insured for the purchase price of 65k used but have much more in it now). It really irks me that states that collect all kinds of taxes anyway, want you to pay annually for something you bought with after tax dollars, paid a sales tax on (one time thing you cannot escape), and pay a registration fee for. Beware - this is not a one time tax - you pay every single year.

No correct, several years ago ga law changed. Rv’s, auto have a 1 time tax at time of purchase. Boats have a property tax just like a house.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #46

Angry

The State of Maine charges a 5.5% sales tax at the time of purchase and you then have to pay an excise tax to the municipality where it is housed. The excise tax is paid every year. The amount of excise tax declines each year for 6 years at which time it becomes fixed for the life of the vehicle. The excise tax is based upon the msrp (to make it fair. Fair only to the municipality).

Our first excise tax payment for a new 2018 Class A MH was $5,000. The lady said that we will luck out next year as its only going to be $3,800. I feel so lucky.

Excise tax is supposed to help the municipality take care of the roads. They are really making out as I don't plan on using their roads other than to leave and go camping somewhere else.
lsu4ester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Georgia taxes

We just bought and registered a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer in the communist state of Georgia. Those thugs charged us just over $2000 to register the coach. This included a $50 luxury weight tax.

We are seriously considering buying property just across the state line in Alabama to avoid their ripoff taxes.

Stay away from Georgia. I wish we had never moved here. Hate the state!
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Georgia Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
Anybody have info on how the property taxes on motor homes are in Georgia, compared to surrounding states?

Thanks!
The new Georgia Law is really nice because Personal Property Taxes are now paid by the seller at the time of the sell and then afterwards you pay a flat $20.00 for License Plates for your motorhome, a lot better than it used to be. Now if you already own a motorhome you can ask for the taxes to be calculated and you can pay a one-time tax and from that point on your License Plates will be a flat $20.00. And if you want to know what the tax rate is for a motorhome that you own per year, then call the County Tax Assessors Office and they will tell you what it is exactly for the year that you move there and buy a license plate.
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #49

Tag and Title in Ga. - License

Tag and Title in Ga. - There is a flat fee of $15-20 for Title. Then there is a one time 6 1/2% ad valorem on the book value on the vehicle. There is a $100 yearly fee for vehicle greater than 26000 lbs plue $20 tag fee. (I pay $120 yearly on my 2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE and $20 yearly on my 2011 Ford Edge)
License in Georgia to drive a Motorhome is a regular license (Class A) per the GSP. I am Volunteer Firefighter in Georgia and I have talk with the GSP and they told me that we can drive any size motorhome with a Class A license. That includes any type (Bus's that was made into a Motorhome) motorhome.

Thanks
Bob L.
Ellerslie, Ga.
rl4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post
The new Georgia Law is really nice because Personal Property Taxes are now paid by the seller at the time of the sell and then afterwards you pay a flat $20.00 for License Plates for your motorhome, a lot better than it used to be. Now if you already own a motorhome you can ask for the taxes to be calculated and you can pay a one-time tax and from that point on your License Plates will be a flat $20.00. And if you want to know what the tax rate is for a motorhome that you own per year, then call the County Tax Assessors Office and they will tell you what it is exactly for the year that you move there and buy a license plate.
I really do wish the seller paid the TAVT tax as you stated.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down You DO NOT have to get a noncommercial class B license in Georgia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Plus now in Georgia you will have to get a noncommercial class B license to drive your motor home, where it's not required in Florida.
You are WRONG, don't know where you get your information but it is completely WRONG! You DO NOT have to get a noncommercial class B license in Georgia!!!

You live in Florida, so do you thing that since you apparently have to get a noncommercial class B license in Florida that we have to get the same in Georgia? For your information, we DO NOT have to get a class B license as you posted!!!

This person has posted a post that is completely untrue about Georgia and having to get a class B license................................
Old 08-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down Georgia is NOT a Communist State as you ranted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebonord View Post
We just bought and registered a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer in the communist state of Georgia. Those thugs charged us just over $2000 to register the coach. This included a $50 luxury weight tax.

We are seriously considering buying property just across the state line in Alabama to avoid their ripoff taxes.

Stay away from Georgia. I wish we had never moved here. Hate the state!

You only stated about half of your transaction, Yes you pre-owned a motorhome, you registered it and instead of paying the ad-valorem tax each year, you elected to pay it all up front which the ad-valorem tax, title fees, and registration came to just over $2,000 but your FAILED to tell them the rest of the story, each year afterwards your License Plate only cost you $20.00 and there is no ad-valorem taxes (Personal Property Tax) any further on your motorhome. Georgia came up with the fairest system for Ad-Valorem (Personal Property Tax) than anywhere in the USA. Also note that when you buy a NEW Motorhome or Car or Truck then all the taxes are paid by the seller (Dealer) and you never (NEVER) have to pay any taxes on them again. You should include all the truth before you make claims that Georgia is a Communist State! At least we are not a LIBERAL STATE !

You stated: "Stay away from Georgia. I wish we had never moved here. Hate the state!" Well my answer to you is: WHO invited you? No one twisted your arm and ask you to move to our state! You are completely free to move back to where ever you came from and do it quickly since you hate our lovely, friendly state! Georgia is a great State and Georgians (REAL Georgians) are among the friendlies people in the United States and Georgia was a lot better before all the non-Georgians began to move here and try to tell us how to drive, how to live and what to do, GEORGIA IS A GREAT STATE, BETTER THAN MOST!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #53

I’ve read every single comment so far and I still don’t know if one needs a special license or not. Or if the GA method of taxing RV’s is a fair or not. One person comments on how good it is and the very next guy say’s it’s a ripoff. How can their be so much disagreement between people that live there?
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down You are incorrect about Georgia Taxes now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No correct, several years ago ga law changed. Rv’s, auto have a 1 time tax at time of purchase. Boats have a property tax just like a house.

You are incorrect in what you posted about Georgia, yes years ago we did have to pay Ad-Valorem Tax (Personal Property Tax) each year but they stopped that some years back, all (ALL) vehicles whether it be sold by and individual or dealer must include the tax at the time of sale and then the buyer ONLY pays a flat $20.00 a year for License Plates from then on, no more taxes on RV's, Cars, or Trucks! Boat taxes are still added to license plate renewal but also was drastically reduced.............
Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation There is an easy way to know who to listen to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
I’ve read every single comment so far and I still don’t know if one needs a special license or not. Or if the GA method of taxing RV’s is a fair or not. One person comments on how good it is and the very next guy say’s it’s a ripoff. How can their be so much disagreement between people that live there?
There really is a way to know who to listen to about taxes in Georgia and if you need a Class B License to drive a motorhome, that way is ask a NATIVE GEORGIAN! Those of us who lived here all our lives loves the new tax system on vehicles, my Tiffin only cost me $20.00 a year, no more, no less and if you don't believe me, I can show you my tag receipt! The ones that complains are the ones who just moved to Georgia and they have to register their motorhomes and pay the Ad-Valorem (Personal Property Tax) on their license purchase and you have two ways, pay it each year or pay it all up front along with registration and tag fee and then after that the price is $20.00 a year and NO MORE! These people who are gripping don't know the whole story or they are stating what happened on day one and not what happened when renewal time comes! NOW, as for having to have a noncommercial class B license as many are posting, that is a complete and utter fabrication and IS NOT TRUE! We DO NOT have to have a Class B License to drive a motorhome in Georgia, all you have to have is a regular drivers license, feel free to give the Georgia State Patrol Office a call if you need to verify that FACT !!!
Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down You are incorrect about Georgia Taxes now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post

Note to PeterFTH:

You are incorrect in what you posted about Georgia, yes years ago we did have to pay Ad-Valorem Tax (Personal Property Tax) each year but they stopped that some years back, all (ALL) vehicles whether it be sold by and individual or dealer must include the tax at the time of sale and then the buyer ONLY pays a flat $20.00 a year for License Plates from then on, no more taxes on RV's, Cars, or Trucks! Boat taxes are still added to license plate renewal but also was drastically reduced.............