Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Getting closer to buying. Feedback sought.

Hi there! I’ve seen a 2016 vista lx that has many desirable features that I would have to manufacture for an older or other rv. I’m here seeking feedback.

First, this was not something I was looking for. After some years of reading and looking and watching as a brick house rooted person thinking about chucking this lifestyle for one that has less lawn mowing and leaf raking, I had pretty much settled on looking for a diesel model built somewhere between 96 and 2006, depending on manufacturer etc. I wanted to be at or under 35’.

Best laid plans eh? So my wife shows me a 2016 37’ gas fueled Winnebago vista. It has a layout I love, a televator, no dinette and a fantastic kitchen. The bedroom though small has a bed a little bigger than queen. Which would be helpful for two overweight people, two cats, and two medium dogs. Bonus a single overcab bunk that my cats would love. And washer and separate dryer.

I worry about the perhaps middle range quality of Winnebago, vs some of the older models I have been looking at. Ramblers, Country Coach, Tiffins, Newmar, and more. I have not really investigated Winnebago. I believe all of them have a one piece fiberglass roof and that is a good thing. That’s about it.

So all words of wisdom even conflicting wisdom is being sought.
Turtle Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We’re sure glad you joined the gang here!

I would go with an older DP. JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO, a 2016 Winne is a pretty good choice.
Old enough to have depreciated a bit.
Young enough to get parts for, and provide several years of good service.
Gas is good. No DEF issues and lower fueling costs. 6 quarts of oil instead of 20 is a bonus. A small toad is in your future.
If the DW is pleased with the layout, you can handle the rest.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #4

Suggestion: Go on rvshare.com or Outdoorsy.com and see if you can rent that same RV. If so, you could take it on a 3-4 day trip to see how you like it. Going on a trip in an RV is a GREAT way to figure out the things you like and/or don't like.

If you aren't a seasoned RV owner, I would also suggest you get a professional RV inspection prior to purchasing any RV. Might save you thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, or it might tell you it's a great RV and you will sleep well knowing you've got a quality RV.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #5
NXR

You'll probably get more focused answers over here: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f263/

Ray
Old 11-09-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

I have had numerous Winnebago coaches over the years and have never been disappointed.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #7

advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmmkristin View Post
Hi there! I’ve seen a 2016 vista lx that has many desirable features that I would have to manufacture for an older or other rv. I’m here seeking feedback.

First, this was not something I was looking for. After some years of reading and looking and watching as a brick house rooted person thinking about chucking this lifestyle for one that has less lawn mowing and leaf raking, I had pretty much settled on looking for a diesel model built somewhere between 96 and 2006, depending on manufacturer etc. I wanted to be at or under 35’.

Best laid plans eh? So my wife shows me a 2016 37’ gas fueled Winnebago vista. It has a layout I love, a televator, no dinette and a fantastic kitchen. The bedroom though small has a bed a little bigger than queen. Which would be helpful for two overweight people, two cats, and two medium dogs. Bonus a single overcab bunk that my cats would love. And washer and separate dryer.

I worry about the perhaps middle range quality of Winnebago, vs some of the older models I have been looking at. Ramblers, Country Coach, Tiffins, Newmar, and more. I have not really investigated Winnebago. I believe all of them have a one piece fiberglass roof and that is a good thing. That’s about it.

So all words of wisdom even conflicting wisdom is being sought.
My only two pieces of advice is always look for a bed that you can access from both sides, and NEVER BUY an RV WITH Atwood electric leveling jacks, they are nothing but expensive problems and you will eventually need to replace them
CCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Try to find out what is the CCC cargo carrying capacity of the coach. Many gas coaches are near max weight just filling fuel and water tanks full.

Just as a comparison, our DP has 10,720 lbs CCC

I believe you would want at least 3000 lbs, or whatever you are comfortable with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	380670
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #9

If youre the kind of potential owner, that will need to take your RV to the dealership for repairs over every little needed fix, I would rethink owning. Its expensive, you’ll wait forever to get repairs done, and its really hard to find someone who will actually fix your problem and not just take your money.

Have fun shopping!
Old 11-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandcinok View Post
If youre the kind of potential owner, that will need to take your RV to the dealership for repairs over every little needed fix, I would rethink owning. Its expensive, you’ll wait forever to get repairs done, and its really hard to find someone who will actually fix your problem and not just take your money.

Have fun shopping!

This is also good advice!

Regarding diesel RVs....disclaimer, I have only owned Class C RVs with V10 gas engines.... My RV repair shop owner has told me several times that diesel RVs are VEEEEERY expensive to maintain. I can't remember specifics, but he gave me some examples. Maybe others here can comment... Oil changes might be very expensive. I think he mentioned a radiator on one needing to be replaced and it was going to cost something like $8-11k. He told me he would only recommend a diesel RV if you have money to burn.

Note: I don't have anything against diesel RV owners. Seems like if you want a big Class A RV then many/most(?) are diesel. Certainly there are many people here with diesel RVs. Again, I don't have personal experience so maybe others can chime in. Just relaying what I have heard multiple times from my RV repair shop.

side note: Large Class A RVs with multiple slide outs are really impressive inside! My In-laws have one and it feels incredibly roomy when their camp is set up.

-Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
This is also good advice!

Regarding diesel RVs....disclaimer, I have only owned Class C RVs with V10 gas engines.... My RV repair shop owner has told me several times that diesel RVs are VEEEEERY expensive to maintain. I can't remember specifics, but he gave me some examples. Maybe others here can comment... Oil changes might be very expensive. I think he mentioned a radiator on one needing to be replaced and it was going to cost something like $8-11k. He told me he would only recommend a diesel RV if you have money to burn.

Note: I don't have anything against diesel RV owners. Seems like if you want a big Class A RV then many/most(?) are diesel. Certainly there are many people here with diesel RVs. Again, I don't have personal experience so maybe others can chime in. Just relaying what I have heard multiple times from my RV repair shop.

side note: Large Class A RVs with multiple slide outs are really impressive inside! My In-laws have one and it feels incredibly roomy when their camp is set up.

-Chris
Depends on what you consider expensive.

What do you pay for a oil change for your RV?

My Cummins ISL engine takes 7 gallons of oil. I can change the oil, oil filter, and both fuel filters for about $250 in materials.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #12

Winnebago does not have a solid one piece fiberglass roof. Actually, they seem to have one of the worst roofs out there. Not knocking Winnie’s, but take a real hard look at the roof condias there is no minor repair, but mostly replacing the entire tool. There are trade offs between gas vs diesel. Have had both and really prefer the diesel for comfort and ride. Maintenance (annual) is slightly more than the gas, but worth it to me. And yes, if you have major engine issues, it gets pricey, real quick.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying