RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Getting DP out of Canada

Hello guys!

I bought another Diesel Pusher from a friend, but I am in Michigan and the coach is in Canada.

Has anyone dealt with this throughout covid? July 21 is the date Canada is reviewing the border closing again, however, it's expected to be extended. I called Canadian border authorities and they consider a personal purchase "non-essential" and would not allow me to cross into Canada.

I don't know if there's a transport service that could literally drive it across the border from Canada, thus making it a commercial trip (thus allowed) or if I just have to wait it out.

I've heard there's some success in FLYING into Canada vs driving.

If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 04:15 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LindyT-

I looked into this carefully a few months ago, and concluded to wait it out.

I have no experience, so everything below is pieced together from "information" found on the Internet. Some or all of it could be incorrect.

I could not find a Canadian "commercial" RV transport service, at least after searching the Internet for a few hours.

Yes, I understand you can fly to Canada, but they don't have to let you in. Post-entry quarantine is mandatory.

Also, there's the issue of returning through the American side of the crossing, as a tourist. It was not clear you could do so easily. I understand you can fly into the U.S. from Canada, but transporting the coach- even as checked baggage- would exceed the weight allowance.

On a related topic, you need to have a coach that's acceptable for import into the U.S., and the paperwork to back that up.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The border closure applies to land crossings only, you can fly in. I've been flying into Vancouver for work from LAX twice a month since April. You'll have no trouble crossing back at a land border as long as you're a citizen or PR.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Have you checked out the " Importing into the USA " requirements of your purchase ?

Do you know what info/paperwork you'll be required to have if/when you do get to drive the RV home?
Old 07-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

The questions about importing your coach into the U.S. is something I had not thought about but you will have to pay some form of customs duty on the coach and it will need all kinds of paperwork. Also, once here, the state where you reside in will need documentation to register it in your state. So... lots of things to consider.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:10 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
The questions about importing your coach into the U.S. is something I had not thought about but you will have to pay some form of customs duty on the coach and it will need all kinds of paperwork. Also, once here, the state where you reside in will need documentation to register it in your state. So... lots of things to consider.
On one issue yes, and in the other, no. I'm depending on memory from research I did six months ago, so folks should confirm it for themselves.

On state registration: Yes, a concern. I understand that Canadian provinces (some/many/all?) do not issue titles, just registrations. This has apparently tripped up some U.S. buyers, whose states require the prior title to register and/or title the coach. The way I read it, having a prior title is supposed to reduce sales fraud and stolen goods trafficking.

On import duties: No or yes, depending. If the coach was originally sold in the U.S., it usually may be reimported without paying duty at U.S. Customs, if you can provide documentation as required.

Here's the big potential problem, though: If the coach was built for and sold in the Canadian market, and has never been sold out of Canada with the correct U.S. documentation, then it must be shown to meet U.S. safety and pollution-control requirements that were in effect at the year of manufacture. According to what I read, U.S. border agents are not willing to take your say-so. You must provide proof. If you can't, the coach must stay in Canada until you can.

There are companies that advertise they will be able to do the research and get your Canadian motorhome's paperwork in order. It looked as if (in some cases) you can assemble that paperwork yourself. For instance, there are posts on iRV2 that explain how folks got "Monaco" to cough up some required documentation on company letterhead.

We're only talking about private sellers and buyers here. I have to believe the major RV sellers (such as Lazy Days) process a number of used Canadian coaches into the U.S. every year, taken as trade-ins. Accordingly, they would have a process for "making the paperwork correct," even for coaches that lived in Canada all their lives before they ended up in Florida, for instance. Maybe they could offer that expertise as a service to those of us who might want to buy cross-border?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #7

Perhaps you could hook up to a local dealer. For compensation they may be willing to work with you.

A dealer closer to the border is probably a good bet as with the Cdn $ being so weak it makes the RVís a pretty good deal and they may be swooping up all great RVís. Not such a great deal for Canadians buying.
GonetoRaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95f5334j View Post
The border closure applies to land crossings only, you can fly in. I've been flying into Vancouver for work from LAX twice a month since April. You'll have no trouble crossing back at a land border as long as you're a citizen or PR.
Can you tell me how you fly in and return? Are you considered an essential service? Do you need any documentation to show you're essential? Don't you have to quarantine for 14 days? I hired a van builder in Saskatoon to build out a custom van for me. I was able to get my van to them before the border closure. They'll be done in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out how to get into Canada and drive the van to the US. You make it sound like I can just fly in, pick up the van and drive it into the US.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Use a Cusstoms Bonded Broker for the crossing & paperwork, & use an RV transport/Drive-away company to do the actual crossing...
That way You do not have to deal with the Quarantine/travel restrictions.
The US & Canada ARE allowing commercial crossings.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
Can you tell me how you fly in and return? Are you considered an essential service? Do you need any documentation to show you're essential? Don't you have to quarantine for 14 days? I hired a van builder in Saskatoon to build out a custom van for me. I was able to get my van to them before the border closure. They'll be done in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out how to get into Canada and drive the van to the US. You make it sound like I can just fly in, pick up the van and drive it into the US.
I don't think it's quite that easy!
Go to the Government of Canada web site and type in: "Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada Ė citizens, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees".
It clearly explains who is eligible to travel into Canada.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Use a Cusstoms Bonded Broker for the crossing & paperwork, & use an RV transport/Drive-away company to do the actual crossing...
That way You do not have to deal with the Quarantine/travel restrictions.
The US & Canada ARE allowing commercial crossings.
Thanks, we actually looked at having someone ship/drive our van from NC to Saskatoon to deliver it to the builder and it was stupid expensive. Perhaps it won't be so bad if I just have them drive it from Saskatoon to Montana and I pick it up there. I'll look into that again.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #12

Here's hoping our govt makes it just as difficult this fall for all our northern snowbirds trying to embark on the annual migration to FL, AZ or TX. That should create quite the uproar.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Here's hoping our govt makes it just as difficult this fall for all our northern snowbirds trying to embark on the annual migration to FL, AZ or TX. That should create quite the uproar.
Oh ... The Uproar is still ongoing..
A lot of the Canadians have annual reservations during the summer months in the Northern US border states. Some have RV's on a permanent RV pad/campsite year around and cannot utilize them this year...
The good of all this is that there are a larger number of campsites available to the US campers this Year..(BG)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Have you checked out the " Importing into the USA " requirements of your purchase ?

Do you know what info/paperwork you'll be required to have if/when you do get to drive the RV home?
Skip426 raises a very important point. If your friend is Canadian and the coach is registered in Canada, you are not simply needing it transported across the border. You need to import it to the US. That's a whole lot more involved.

spuds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada