Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
GFI keeps going off

GFI keeps going off ? sometimes it will reset immediately other times not ? wet or dry doesnt seem to matter ? any thoughts ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Most are rated for 15 amps ... What are you trying to run off it and what else is in the the same circuit ?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
GFI's do not look at current(amps) they look at grounds.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Yes, if you have one kicking out two possibilities: Unit needs to be replaced, or you have a 'problem' in its "cur cut." Start with the replacement (yes, they do go bad) and then on to the second ... and unless you're damned good at this sort of thing, you'll pay up for a good repair person.

Just personal 'opine,' but when it comes to 'electrics,' unless you really know what your doing, don't fool around.
fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
PEJ

Is the same appliance plugged in when it trips? Is so, it is likely the culprit. I once had an older electric heater that always tripped my gfi. I noticed quite an arc as the thermostat activated heat. I think some current strayed to the metal frame causing a current to ground... Tripped every time.

Just a possibility.

Peter
PEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
They also do not reset automatically. His problem is either

1: Defective GFCI or (more likely) 2: Elsewhere (as in bad connection)
Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
paz

GFCI units trip for 2 reasons -
1) there is a ground fault. If an appliance is working properly, all electricity that the appliance uses will flow from hot to neutral. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit.
2) the unit is defective

You can swap out a suspected bad GFCI with a new or known good unit to eliminate reason 2. If it still trips, you will have to track down the fault.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
GFCI units trip for 2 reasons -
1) there is a ground fault. If an appliance is working properly, all electricity that the appliance uses will flow from hot to neutral. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit.
2) the unit is defective

You can swap out a suspected bad GFCI with a new or known good unit to eliminate reason 2. If it still trips, you will have to track down the fault.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #9

Most GFCI duplex outlets also protect against ground faults elsewhere in the coach like in a bathroom and an outdoor outlet. You can remove the GFCI and in the back of it there are 2 sets of terminals. One on top labeld line and another set near the bottom called load. The line is from the breaker or the feed, the other set of wires on load is the outlets downstream of the GFCI it is actively protecting. Often, if one outlet is outside, it can get water in the outlet and create a ground fault. Turn off the breaker that feeds the GFCI and remove the 2 lower terminal from the wires and try to reset again after you have turned back on the power. If it resets, the fault is in the one of the protected outlets downstream of the affected GFCI. Another point that is often overlooked is the that the duplex outlets supplied by the builder are of Chinese manufacture and are of very poor quality. Go to Home depot or any hardware store and replace these cheap Chinese made outlets (CRAP) with an underwriter labs approved duplex outlet. It may well solve your problems.
If a GFCI is tripped often, they get weak and need to be replaced. Either way check your outside outlets.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

I agree on the outside outlets. They are a real common cause of GFI breakers tripping from moisture. Open the covers on the outside outlets and either blow air into them or wedge them open to let them dry out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finally got her nailed down Water was getting on a outlet when filling the water tank then would dry out be ok well after changing the gfi i knew we had a problem and now we have found it ! what cheap lugs we have ill be re wiring 3 different receptacles now happy to had finally figured it out
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #12

My gfi trips from time to time and goes to my outside freezer/refrigerator. I'm thinking of replacing then gfi breaker first.
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i found that the Receptacles are really CHEAP the wire is just pinched in my Refrig one is working but looks really bad so im replacing 3 of mine with a good box and a new Receptacle relived that i finally have figured it out also
Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A GFCI is like a teeter Totter.. If both kids on the totter are EXACTLY the same weight it's balanced

If both curents (White wire and black wire) are exactly the same it's perfectly balanced (See how it's the same)

If wire (normally black) is hauling more current then the board tilts well, CLICK and darkness ensues (It does the CI part of it's GFCI name Circuitus interupptus if you like fake latin)

Some common causes of frequent tripping. (And hints on tracking)

Something plugged in has a fault. (UNPLUG EVERYTHING that is plugged into GFCI protected sockets)

NOTE: a GFCI can protect several regular "Downlline" sockets.

One of those "regular" outlets is the patio.. Sometimes the seal leaks and that area fills with water

Sometimes if you have a GFCI protected outlet in a slide out (I DO) the junction boxes under the slide fill with water (I have read about it, has not happened to me...yet).

Sometimes the wires chafe and short to ground (The white wire may be "neutral" and may be bonded to ground at the park's end. but if it shorts to ground click goes the GFCI)

And finally.. They wear out