Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2022, 12:02 AM   #1

Going to have to consign my coach for sale- what and who to go to or avoid?

I am going to sell my coach. I have a loan out on it so no clear title available to the seller at time of sale, it would have to be paid for then title released upon satisfaction of loan. Given the complexities that situation introduces into the sale coupled with my limited time available due to work to devote to the sale, I am going to have to put it up for consignment. I'm in Houston, so I would like to keep the consignment to the Houston/Dallas/San Antonio/Austin areas. I don't feel like driving it 15 hours away to put it up for consignment unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.

My coach is a very clean 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304. 4 slides, tag axle, etc. I saw a post here on our forum from NIRVC in Dallas looking for consignments, but they don't accept coaches over 10 years old, so that puts me out of there.

Do any of you gave a good or bad consignment experience with any company in this area that you can share? What should I know about the consignment process going in, pitfalls to look out for, etc? Recommendations?
Thanks for any and all info sent my way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2022, 12:19 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try PPL in Houstion I don't think they have an age limit. I've seen motorhomes older then your on their website.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:27 AM   #3

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:28 AM   #4

PPL has a webpage with actual selling prices of previous consignments in case you're interested.

Another option is MHSRV.com
I think they have multiple stores around the nation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As previously stated, PPL, Houston would be the most logical choice being you are in Houston.
We sold a '97 Holiday Rambler through them some years ago. A very easy transaction. Review their web site for all of the particulars pertaining to PPL handling the transaction.
I am sure they have dealt with sales where there was not a clear title involved.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #6

Agree with others. PPL seems to do a pretty good job, and no age limit. We looked through quite a few at our local PPL (New Braunfels) while shopping for our pre-emissions DP. They even have on-site maintenance / minor repairs.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #7

As I suggested in your other post, why not use your investment securities as security for a bank loan to pay off the motorhome and offer for sale with a clear title? That would make the sale to a private party a simple process. The difference in loan interest would be insignificant with a much easier sale process.
You also mentioned that it hadn't been cleaned up for a sale. If you want to get any interested buyers and top dollar, spend the money to get it detailed inside and out. First impressions will make or break a deal. You will double, triple or more any expense you might have to make it look as good as it can.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #8

A good option not too far from Houston is Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches. https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/ch...r--consignment
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #9

Our coach is virtually spotless right now. I only need to wash the dust off of it. My wife keeps the inside clean enough to eat off the floors, she's fanatical. All cherry cabinets oiled, windows cleaned, carpets spotlessly clean, etc. The outside just had a full wetsanding and total polish job done, it looks brand new. It only needs a quick wash and it's ready to go.

I was thinking about PPL. My worry with PPL is exactly what I said above. We've walked through the PPL inventory many times over the past few years. One thing the coaches they have in inventory all have in common is they're all disheveled and filthy. I can't believe all the owners don't bring them in clean. It seems to me that they come in clean, and that's the last thing PPL does to maintain any resemblance of cleanliness. Tons of people walk through them with dirty feet, kids with dirty hands and sticky fingers, and within a week your coach is absolutely filthy. PPL does nothing at all once they arrive to keep them clean. That's my main concern with PPL. I'm wondering if there's anywhere relatively close to me that keeps the coach in at least somewhat in presentable condition while presenting it for sale.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
A good option not too far from Houston is Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches. https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/ch...r--consignment
Thanks, Spuds. I had thought about them. I'll ring them up and see if they'll accept a 2005 coach. It's a Newmar Mountain Aire tag axle unit so it's a relatively high end coach, and it's in pristine condition, so maybe they'll be interested. I wonder what kind of traffic they have through there. We went there once and one thing that struck us in a positive way is that the coaches they showed us were all kept very clean. I'm pretty sure PPL has more traffic, but my goodness, they let the coaches get filthy inside and out. There's no doubt that the location of PPL, being right in Houston, is a huge plus for traffic and accessability. People flying into the main Houston airports there (Bush and Hobby) are only a $20 Uber ride away from seeing the coach in person. Nagadoches is way out of the way for prospective buyers. That said, I just can't get the neglect of the coaches on display at PPL out of my head. In the end PPL might be the correct choice due to location and traffic, but darn they neglect what they have on display badly.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
As I suggested in your other post, why not use your investment securities as security for a bank loan to pay off the motorhome and offer for sale with a clear title? That would make the sale to a private party a simple process. The difference in loan interest would be insignificant with a much easier sale process.
I agree that's a great idea, Crasher. I spent some time the last day or two really thinking this sale through and the bottom line is that in being really honest with myself I just don't think that I'll have the time needed to really dedicate myself to do this sale process on my own properly and effectively. I'm an airline pilot and I'm gone from home way too much to really pull this off myself.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #12

Selling a vehicle/RV with a lien is NOT difficult-- done hundreds of times a day.

After decision to go ahead with the purchase, buyer contacts an officer at their bank who works directly with officer at lien holder and do a "draft for title".

Purchase price vs lien balance will tell if seller gets money back or has to pay money toward lien amount. If the latter that is normally be done before buyer's bank initiates the transaction so the seller's bank is left whole AND buyer gets clear title.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

PPL has a webpage with actual selling prices of previous consignments in case you're interested.

Another option is MHSRV.com
I think they have multiple stores around the nation.
Thanks Ray - I'll look into MHSRV as well!
Old 10-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #14

Once I choose a place, what do I have to look out for? How do there places "get" you? Added expenses, etc?

Tags
for sale, sale