Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
'Bama...How soon will you make it to this side of the USA? I am sure there I know a place you can "unload" that extra 200 pounds with some help!
I am actually a little more on the fence than I had been. I have found some public machines to cause damage to my clothes so I dislike them for that reason. I would say that it will be something to think about more if we ever full-time ...otherwise - I can use that space to carry the extra 200 pounds of clothes!
Good Luck on your project

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
Retired Senior Member

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much passion surrounding the W/D appliance. Never considered some of the ideas put forth here. Different strokes for different folks. The full-timers have very valid reasons for keeping the unit in place. I know that SWMBO would rather buy an entire wardrobe than wash in some public laundromats, but most campground facilities meet her requirements. I say this and also note that she has utilized such facilities two times in the past 5-years!

I really don't know much about the capability of this unit. I threw some unmentionables and socks (all already clean) in with some detergent when we first bought the RV and ran a test load. The softness of the finished load was surprising. Seems that it did take awhile longer than "normal" though. Mine is the non-vented version.

For those who asked, we are in Huntsville, AL. Open to any and all offers for assistance in removing balanced against the low low sale price.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
... I find it interesting how much water they use - fer sure you can't use them when not hooked up, can you?
Based on the capacity of our tanks, I calculate our Splendide uses about 15 to 25 gallons of water per load depending on the size of the load and the cycle selected. We have a vented model. The unvented models use significantly more water because they use water to cool the warm air used to dry the clothes to get moisture to condense out of the air.

We have used our Splendide many times with no hookups. If we're staying with no hookups for 5 days or less, we have enough fresh water and gray water capacity to do 1 load of wash. If the stay is only 1 or 2 nights, we can sometimes do 2 loads. We have to be sure not to select pre-wash or a cycle with extra rinses.

In cases where we have water hookup but not sewer, we can do unlimited laundry if I am willing to haul gray water to the dump station in our blue boy.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
As someone so aptly stated, "its a love or hate relationship" with these all-in-one units. Our first MH had a non-vented model and it was not worth the space/weight to carry around. Our new coach has the combo (vented) and we find it to be very good at what it does -- certainly not up to the task of heavy loads (bedspreads, etc.), but more than adequate for the normal weekly loads. We normally run it several times a week with small loads.

My question, which Splendid has not answered, is why can't we use the Purex Purex® Complete 3-in-1™ Laundry Sheets sheets?? Maybe I've got my 'blinders' on, but I don't understand how these sheets would adversely affect the Splendid.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
You 'hang around' the Laundromat because the mortal sin of campground Laundromat etiquette is leaving your wash load in a washer after it is done and you have someone waiting for that washing machine. Nothing worse than going to the Laundromat with 4 garbage bags full of dirty clothes and not being able to start your wash because all the machines are full, done with their cycle, and no one is around.

PS – My wife loves her Splendide and usually does a small load every night so the wash does not pile up.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #20

I removed mine after a year with no use and sold it at a very good price.

In my case the frame that held the two doors enclosing the W/D were easily removed. I unplugged the power cord and was able to pull the unit out, and disconnected the water supply and drain. Don't forget to put a cap on the drain or you may get odors from the waste tank. I removed the dryer vent and replaced it with a blank access panel, mounted two feed through connectors in it and that's how I get the satellite feed up to the Hughes Net modem.

I converted the area to storage by installing a slide out shelf that holds my printer. I also mounted the Progressive surge protector there. Directly above this spot I removed the TV and use that space to store towels, the router and Hughes Net modem.

Good luck.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Splendide 2100, never used, out of a 2007 Winnie, is sitting in my garage in Richmond VA area.

If anyone wants it, for a mutually fair price, and is in the area PM me.

Heck, I'll even help you get it into the rig.

jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #22

My MH was plumbed for a washer/dryer but I preferred to have the storage instead. After a couple of years I had the idea of putting a dishwasher in the space, or at least part of the space. That has been one of the best additions I have made to my MH, and I still have half of the closet for storage. I added shelves for the storage. Washing dishes happens several times a day because there is so little counter space.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
1. - Water usage - two loads will fill the grey water tank
How big is your grey holding tank, or which combo did you have? Our Splendid uses very little water. We can do four loads easily and still not fill the grey tank.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #24

We took ours out and installed a small 120 volt fridge. It has come in much more useful. It doesn't hold a lot, but makes a convenient place to cool beverages of your choice, and it has a small freezer to augment the main freezer for long trips. I also recall there were some angle brackets holding it to the floor. It took some time to get it loose with lots of peering around with a flashlight and small screwdriver to get it free, but it has been worth it.

We had stacked units in our previous MH and used it once, resetting breakers many times to complete the load.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #25
Retired Senior Member

The small L-brackets were hidden by a carpet covered 1" square board. The screws holding that in place were completely hidden by the carpet covering. I finally got to the unit though and as soon as I get lifting assistance, out she comes. I had not considered the 120V fridge option for that space. Hmmmm, might be a win-win here.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #26

I had a counter top above the washer/dryer. Taking that out gave access to the washer connections. I removed the faucets, capped the pipes, cut and capped the drain PVC and put the counter top back in place. I fastened the upper sides of the fridge to the bottom of the counter top and put a couple angle brackets at the floor. The thing is rock-solid, and has been there for 4-5 years.

There was a switch on the wall above the countertop that selected the microwave or washer that I removed. I did a little rewiring and reinstalled the switch to turned the fridge on or off. That way, if I don't need it on a trip or when I'm parked at home, I can switch it off and leave it cracked open. Since the fridge doesn't use nearly the power the washer/dryer used, it was not needed to select between the microwave or fridge.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #27

Lots of good opinions on this one. We have the 2100 and use it daily. As fulltimers, we wash everything in it (except our queen bed comforter). Over the past couple years, I guess we have washed several hundred loads -- no problems. We had to learn how to use it properly, but that was easy and we really do not like to hang around the laundrymat. We find that we can toss a load in during the evening and it is done before bedtime.

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
How big is your grey holding tank, or which combo did you have? Our Splendid uses very little water. We can do four loads easily and still not fill the grey tank.
I have the standard tankage (about 65 gals I think, but I am guessing) and I am probably not full but above 3/4 after 2 loads. I have the vented model washer dryer.

Bob, is your washer dryer mounted in the kitchen slide on the '04? Mine is and was installed by the selling dealer and they did a really crappy job. One of the reasons I dislike the unit is I have not figured out how to properly secure it in the cabinet. When the coach was returned to me the unit was just slid onto a metal plate that was installed in the area previously occupied by the pull out drawers; it was not physically secured to anything. The plumbing behind the unit did not allow it to sit far enough back and the louvered doors could be latched shut. I have since reworked the plumbing to allow it to clear the doors but haven't figured out how to fasten it down to keep it from walking out into the kitchen when we are driving, needless to say it really gets to moving when it starts to spin...