Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #1

Has anybody Good Sam service plan or any others .
They are fairly expensive but with our warranty expiring soon we are considering them.
thanks or any help or info.
sallyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #2

Has anybody Good Sam service plan or any others .
They are fairly expensive but with our warranty expiring soon we are considering them.
thanks or any help or info.
sallyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I got an excellent price on a plan through RVProtection.net. I don't normally buy such things, but I got a deal too good to turn down when they were having a promotion to gain a broader customer base. You might check there and also with WarrantyExperts.com. Nothing wrong with the GS plan either.

It is always less expensive in the long run to self-insure (pay as you go) as long as an unexpected big expense would not crash your budget. Put $1500 or so in the bank (hide it in a separate account somewhere) and use it to pay for any major expenses, should they occur. However, if you feel more comfortable having repair insurance, shop around for the best price because there is a lot of difference - as much as 100% in many cases.

You might also consider a plan with a deductible, where you pay for smaller expenses and have insurance only for big stuff, maybe over $250 or $500. There are a few of those around and sometmes are offered for older RVs.

I would not buy the individual warranties from individual appliance vendors, e.g a Dometic refrigerator warranty. They are fairly expensive and do you no good if your transmission fails instead of the fridge! Since it is impossible to predict what thing may fail in a complex RV, broad coverage is probably better than targetted stuff.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with Gary 100%. I deal with them every day; I do have an intrest for the consumer over the insurance co. and so I am careful to word the cause and repair to favor RV owner using the actual contract as a guideline.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #5

.....wizz....be dam careful what you write - there is such a thing as fraud.....dam adjusters look for _any_ excuse......Our Mayor is an adjuster and he looks at all the village stuff like he's looking for a reason to whack someone....geof kaye
Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Not commiting any fraud; just using the right words or not, out of the actuall contract. You must use proper terminalogy in dealing with these contracts. By doing so certain repairs are leagally covered whereas someont that does not use the right words will have a claim denied. I am not saying that I can get uncovered repairs covered.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #7

.....just checking.....as it is hard to get good mechanics to repair RV stuff these days...geof kaye