Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
So when you buy roadside assistance are you buying a dispatch service? Or are you buying a "help me get my vehicle fixed/towed without further money outlay" service?

Because any police department can be a assistance dispatch service. You still have to pay the company dispatched to aid you.
Both. You're buying a service where they will find the tow truck, dispatch them to you and then pay the company for the tow.

Which service do you think Good Sam should provide for someone that hasn't paid them a penny?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Good Sam Roadside Assistance - FAIL!

Have had good Sam towing for several years and used them 3 times 2 were quick and efficient but were normal hours fairly near a large town. 1 was out in the middle of New Mexico and I waited for 2 hours for tire service to my utility trailer with no luck. I finally cancelled and a local cop directed me to a tire shop 2 miles down the road. The good Sam rep ( answered the phone “Allstate road service” then corrected herself..... meaning to me good Sam contracts to the same service Allstate uses )on this one call was new and not clear on what to do
I now have coach net but haven’t used them.
I really believe where you are is all important no matter who you have find service. ( which you could do yourself with a smart phone and internet ) These services can only work with the companies in the area if any the don’t have any service ability themselves. Also remember they are paying less than the going rate aaa discount for bringing them business. Like all insurance type contracts they bet they’ll never hear from you and your betting you’ll need over a 1000$ tow ..
but I’ll let them do the calling and arranging .. they should have better contacts doing it all the time
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #17

I'm wondering why you would've even left home in the first place without a roadside assistance plan bought and paid for.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #18

Good Sam Roadside Assistance - FAIL!

I am amazed that anyone would expect a company to just give you there service for free. These companies have to pay an employee to check with several towing services and find someone who has the right equipment available at that moment . How many of you go to your job and work for free? Do you think if you had an accident you can call an insurance and tell them if you fix my car and do a good job I will buy a policy from you?
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #19

Oldest trick in the books. I used to be a service manager for a scientific equipment company. I can't tell you how many times people wanted us to fix their equipment for free with the promise that they would buy a service contract after the fix. Never gave in once. The time to buy a contract is BEFORE you need it. Otherwise why would anyone buy one? I have never used Good Sam or Coachnet but the OP is doing GS a tremendous disservice by slamming them on the internet. IMO inappropriate given the circumstances.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #20

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Good Sam has been great when I've used them. Luckily never in my MH, but they cover all family vehicles for the one price. Quick and easy and concerned about our safety. I hope they would not give that kind of service to someone who is not a member.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #21

The most important part of the service is the dispatching. I would never pay the $79 if I could simply call goodsam and have them find me help for free. I would happily pay for the tow and in the long run be ahead financially.
I think the op was testing us to see if we would fall for his story.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #22

I had Good sam and AAA RV.. both left me with no help when i needed a tire change on my rig. lucky i was still at the campground when i noticed the problem. Tulla Falls is not full of roadside tire service trucks.. the campground owner knew a guy that knew a guy he was there 20 minuts after the call, to check out the problem and come up with a soulition for getting us on the road. waited 3 hours for AAA and goodsam to give up. i kept AAA and got rid of GoodSam.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Years back, I had AAA, but did not have coach coverage. I had a blowout on the Mountain Parkway in the middle of nowhere Kentucky. I called AAA, just to ask them who they would recommend for service so that I could make the call. They would not even talk to me, even though I was an AAA customer, just not on the motorhome. They would not even tell me who I could call.
Too bad you didn't know me... I'd have come out and helped. I grew up in the red river gorge, and now live right at the beginning of the parkway
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #24

Sorry mr. Test....No ticky...No laundry! You must have had a smartphone...why didn't you search one out for yourself since you were paying for it anyway?

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's funny about most of these stories is the fact that not one of the roadside service companies actually provide the roadside service. They ALL must find a local towing company, in every part of the country, at all hours, for every type of RV, and every type of emergency. And then, if that takes more than 2-3 hours, they get ripped a new AH online. I wonder if any of those that complain about the service would hold themselves up to that same standard.

The level of service, the type of equipment, the efficiency of the workers... All are by definition going to vary across the country, because the ACTUAL on the ground providers are going to vary. When you drive an oversized vehicle, you may have to wait a bit longer for a tow or a tire, just as you may not be able to get into every gas station, or not be able to get an oil change at every shop, or may have to park farther away from a restaurant and walk.

As for the OP, I cannot figure out why he would expect any company that he doesn't do business with to provide him service. In fact, part of me wants to believe that the post is a joke; surely nobody is really that stupid or arrogant.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #26

4X4Van sez "As for the OP, I cannot figure out why he would expect any company that he doesn't do business with to provide him service. In fact, part of me wants to believe that the post is a joke; surely nobody is really that stupid or arrogant."

Dear Mr. Van, based on my constant contact with the public for 12 hours a day for 16 days out of 28, many are.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:16 AM   #27

I think I will try that approach with my doctor next time I need some help!

Hello Doctor, I have this problem. If you can diagnose it correctly and prescribe some medication, I promise to make you my Primary Care Physician and send you a check. Really. I promise.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Been rving for along time. Advise: Don't Be Too Quick To Judge from one incident. I have been with Good Sam and have great results and some where I was ready to Cuss and Idiot Representatives. Seems like on those occasions resolution was obtained through their administration. I bet the same can be true for most the the Programs that offer service.