Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Goodyear RV Tire Linked to Deaths Still on Motorhomes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/goodyear-...140026337.html
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #2

Click-bait! That article says the Goodyear G159 tires on the MH were over 20 years old.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #3

Yep, Goodyear stopped manufacturing that tire in 2003. If they're still around, they are long, long aged-out, but a novice may not be aware of the risk of any aged tire on a RV.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Well, the article was just published by Consumer Reports (Ryan Felton is an investigative reporter for CR ...here's the original/source article at CR). What it is calling attention to is that there may still be G159s on some motorhomes as they were never officially recalled.

Along with never being recalled, they've never officially been taken off the market either as according to Felton's reporting, they are still being sold online as spares, etc.

The current article (just published yesterday by Consumer Reports) is just calling attention to the fact that the tires might still be out there so to be aware and people should check any older used RVs they are considering to purchase or have just purchased.

Not all RVers are seasoned RVers and may not know about this 20-year-old problem. I think the article does some service. There may be some new RVers out there thar may not know about this or even know the hazards associated with using tires that are more than ten years old for that matter.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Well, the article was just published by Consumer Reports (Ryan Felton is an investigative reporter for CR ...here's the original/source article at CR). What it is calling attention to is that there may still be G159s on some motorhomes as they were never officially recalled.

Along with never being recalled, they've never officially been taken off the market either as according to Felton's reporting, they are still being sold online as spares, etc.

The current article (just published yesterday by Consumer Reports) is just calling attention to the fact that the tires might still be out there so to be aware and people should check any older used RVs they are considering to purchase or have just purchased.

Not all RVers are seasoned RVers and may not know about this 20-year-old problem. I think the article does some service. There may be some new RVers out there thar may not know about this or even know the hazards associated with using tires that are more than ten years old for that matter.
Agree with all you posted, and it is good that the topic is raised again since there never was an official recall of the tires. I still see occasional ads which tout the amount of tread on the RV tires, but never mention their age.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #6

Shoot until recently they were still trying to get rid of the rest of those deadly propane tent heaters. Seemed like every few years people would find one ,use it and die of CO poisoning. The tags were on LP cylinders when I was a kid . I think last tag I seen was less than ten years ago and not all that long ago a few more people died. I remember discussing with my wife after news aired about seeing top circle LP tags here and there for most of my life. At least the tires will eventually become so rotted , no one in their right mind will want to drive on them.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Click-bait! That article says the Goodyear G159 tires on the MH were over 20 years old.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like STILl MFR/ still for sale? https://simpletire.com/paid?v=1&tire...bc299fa604eed8
Old 05-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #9

Got rid of our G159s in 2018. They were still on my parents rig.
So yes, they can still be out there.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:36 AM   #10

Most people don't change their tires unless the treads are worn out but more often than not an RV tire will go bad from aging. They should be changed after 7 years even if they've never been used.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Most people don't change their tires unless the treads are worn out but more often than not an RV tire will go bad from aging. They should be changed after 7 years even if they've never been used.
Who decided 7 years was the time to change ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:55 AM   #12

General Forum Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Twinboat,

Its “Forum Knowledge”. I have seen “forum knowledge” occurring on every forum that I spent any time reading. Someone will plant a seed fertilized with a few facts and it snowballs from there. Go against that and you are no longer taken seriously.

One tire manufacturer’s website (Goodyear I think) recommends that no tire older than 10 years be used. Did they do a study? Maybe. Does it have to do with sales of new tires? Probably. Will Tireman9 respond with all sorts of facts? Soon. Do I go against the flow? Yes, as often as possible.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Twinboat,

Its “Forum Knowledge”. I have seen “forum knowledge” occurring on every forum that I spent any time reading. Someone will plant a seed fertilized with a few facts and it snowballs from there. Go against that and you are no longer taken seriously.

One tire manufacturer’s website (Goodyear I think) recommends that no tire older than 10 years be used. Did they do a study? Maybe. Does it have to do with sales of new tires? Probably. Will Tireman9 respond with all sorts of facts? Soon. Do I go against the flow? Yes, as often as possible.
All the major manufactures, Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone/Bridgestone, Toyo, recommend replacement after 10 years of service. None state that the tires must be replaced, that they are unreliable or dangerous, only that they should be taken out of service.

That being said, all the manufacturers acknowledge the need for tires to be used regularly, inspected regularly, and that seldom used tires will weaken and lose some performance capabilities as they age. The ten year limit on use is basically a CYA statement, putting the responsibility on the owners to make the call. I suspect a tire failure on a tire older that ten years would cause all manufacturers to claim no liability, regardless of tread depth.

My guess is the "seven year rule" is a combination of a more conservative interpretation of manufacturers recommendations, allowing for an increased margin of safety, the very limited use of most RV tires, anecdotal stories of dangerous blow-outs on older tires, and yes, "seeds" of "knowledge" that have taken root. It is not really a "rule" though many preach it as gospel, but it is a highly recommended practice of which all should be aware.

It remains up to each owner to make the call on aged tires, as opposed to "aged-out tires," and the consequences should a tire fail. Certainly, failure on a large RV steer tire is a high risk that we all want to avoid.

All of the above does not really apply to the specific Goodyear tires mentioned in the article. Those tires were, in fact, inappropriate for large RVs in high speed use, even when new. Unfortunately, they were never officially recalled and some remain on the road.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nobody "decided" for the rest of us, but that doesn't mean it isn't a wise thing to do. Nobody decided it isn't smart to park on a railroad track, or to make a campfire in the living room either, but the collective wisdom is that these things are not safe practices. Can you still do them and survive? Of course, if you know what you are doing and do so carefully. Or if you are just plain lucky.

I have some 8 year old tires on my old "beater" van right now. It's a light duty usage, the van isn't worth a lot of $$, and I visually inspect them every couple months. I'm comfortable my risk is acceptable vs my reward (not buying more tires that will age long before the tread is worn). I might go 9 years, but probably not 10. I'm only willing to push my luck so far.

In addition to tire manufacturers, Discount Tire has joined the "tire age-out" bandwagon with a recommendation that tires be replaced after 6 years of age. Photo of their tire age placard/recommendation attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Discount Tire-6 years(sm).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	327779  
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes, tire