Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Got shocked touching my rv standing in wet grass... [Moderator Edit]?

2000 Winnebago ultimate, plugged into a land line at 110v to charge up the batteries...

Was standing in wet grass, touched a bare rivet in a panel... got a case of the tingles...

Weird. Touched it again, got it again. [Moderator edit]?

Got a voltmeter stuck 1 end on concrete one on the rivet... 0 volts.

Put one end on the rivet, 1 end in wet grass... 10.9 v AC !!!

Checked anywhere on the frame, same result...

Shut off all the breakers in the rv, no change.

Checked my wire running to the garage and it was an ungrounded utility wire, ie, 2 prong...

Used a proper grounded wire, and all’s well: 0 volts.

But why would that matter? When you’re getting ac off the generator, your clearly not grounded to the earth. Haven’t tried with the generator running yet...

What if the rv park isn’t grounded? I suspect no one ever checks...

Perhaps tommorrow...
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #2

You have a leak to ground, a ground fault.

My bet its the water heater element partially burnt out. The inner core burns thru the insulation causing a ground fault.

To test, you need to not only switch off the heater breaker but remove the white wire from the heater element. Only then is the fault isolated.

Then test with ungrounded cord and your meter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #3

Since you said you shut off all CB in panel other wise I would suspect WH as well if you had running. You have low level short to ground a hot skin condition. It is dangerous. Not enough to trip the breaker on the grounded outlet .
I would expect between where cord enters RV , cord reel, my first thought is in ATS ....burnt connectors carbon making a path for current flow. Possibly Romex between ATS and CB panel . Be watchful for clamps on Romex or power cords they can cut through the skin and short . Check those at ATS or in CB panel you may have to remove extra to get to screw clamps or they may have put them inside out.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

A funny thing happened to me a few years ago when I parked my Airstream under electrical utility power lines. You guessed it, got tingles when I touched the body.
Rick
Gold Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

There is no ground in an RV for 120VAC, the only ground should be at the main panel which should be the CG main panel.
That's what I remember from the retired electricians who are members of irv2.
Many years ago (40?) my daughter was exiting our 1976 Allegro MH barefoot, the moment her foot touched the ground she began screaming. I ran and grabbed her up quickly and jerked her other foot off the metal steps, she stopped screaming.
Our MH had a "hot skin"~90VAC when I tested things. I determined the cause was a broken ground somewhere in the CG electrical pedestal, other pedestals tested OK.
I insisted the office call the CG owner on-site, he argued with me his CG electrical was fine. I had to show him by using my VOM, to his credit he moved me to another site and called in an electrician to inspect his entire system.
To this day my daughter is frightened of electricity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #6

Hereís an article on RV Hot Skin/Stray Voltage by Mike Sokol.

https://rvelectricity.com/2018/09/24...stray-voltage/

He explains how you can easily test both the pedestal and your RV before touching them.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Pot View Post
A funny thing happened to me a few years ago when I parked my Airstream under electrical utility power lines. You guessed it, got tingles when I touched the body.
Rick
That's kind of cool and spooky at the same time. I know of the phenomena but never thought about it applying to an Airstream.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:24 PM   #8

The 50A. shore power has 4 poles
2 hot poles
1 Neutral pole
1 ground pole
The ground pole should be grounded to the frame and is supposed to ensure 0 volts to ground if the distribution system is set to code. The shore power monitoring device should detect & indicate if the distribution system is not properly grounded.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:37 PM   #9

If a RV is fed from a really old house with non-polarized 2 wire branch circuits ... and if the RV is plugged in with a 2W adapter you could plug it in reversed and the RV frame would be hot.

I’ve seen a lot of old houses with non-polarized systems but it is more & more rare.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #10

He was first on 2 prong cord , no hot skin on grounded cord. Issue is in his MH . Most likely in the other MH that shocked poor girl had an issue unless ground was broken at pedestal and also shorting power back up to his ground.
A work friend friends was killed by extension cord cut by mobile home door when he grabbed it.Probably other hand was on frame and stopped his heart. He is very particular about anyone running a cord out his department door.
You should also make sure neutral and ground are not bonded in your CB box it has came up a several times with GFCI trip issues . It can cause issues if you have bad neutral feeding any distribution box . That is what a MH CB box is.
Main incoming fuse/cb box is only where they should be bonded , no panel down stream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Hereís an article on RV Hot Skin/Stray Voltage by Mike Sokol.

https://rvelectricity.com/2018/09/24...stray-voltage/

He explains how you can easily test both the pedestal and your RV before touching them.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #11

Some updates, and confused. Everyoneís help appreciated...

I read the attached article and more... it suggests that a bad powercord or cg power supply, in and of itself, is enough to cause this without an intrinsic issue with the rv...

So, checked power source polarity, itís all correct.

With the rv plugged in to a properly grounded cord, using a non contact ac tester, all is good. Beeps near power cords, thatís it.

With the ungrounded powercord, the non contact sensor lights up anywhere within 2 feet of the rv!!!

So, tried the generator...and...

No problems! No juice anywhere it shouldnít be...

I was using a portable generator to power the system. Obviously not grounded, sitting on grass with rubber feet.

How does that make sense?

If it were something within the rv, then there should be a fault to ground no matter how itís powered, right?

So is this ďnormalĒ using an ungrounded land line wire?
Old 03-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You have a leak to ground, a ground fault.

My bet its the water heater element partially burnt out. The inner core burns thru the insulation causing a ground fault.

To test, you need to not only switch off the heater breaker but remove the white wire from the heater element. Only then is the fault isolated.

Then test with ungrounded cord and your meter.
Would this not also show up using the generator? Is the wire to the heating element obvious, I didnít see it externally...
Old 03-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There is no ground in an RV for 120VAC, the only ground should be at the main panel which should be the CG main panel.
That's what I remember from the retired electricians who are members of irv2.
Many years ago (40?) my daughter was exiting our 1976 Allegro MH barefoot, the moment her foot touched the ground she began screaming. I ran and grabbed her up quickly and jerked her other foot off the metal steps, she stopped screaming.
Our MH had a "hot skin"~90VAC when I tested things. I determined the cause was a broken ground somewhere in the CG electrical pedestal, other pedestals tested OK.
I insisted the office call the CG owner on-site, he argued with me his CG electrical was fine. I had to show him by using my VOM, to his credit he moved me to another site and called in an electrician to inspect his entire system.
To this day my daughter is frightened of electricity.

So, it can just happen with a missing ground? Or is the implication itís still an issue with the rv?
Old 03-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #14

The only way for you to get a tingle when touching the rivet is if there is a path back to the source for any power leaking to the skin.

Have you tested your portable generator to make sure that it's making clean power without a short to ground? Correct polarity? Ground connection on the receptacle is good?

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote