RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
BnR

Got sick and tired of looking at flaking clear coat

We bought our 2006 Astoria a couple years ago and it had a little bit of flaking clear coat around the roof edges. This seems to be a common problem with RV's of this era. The issue kept getting worse and it was really bugging me as it looked horrible and the rest of the motorhome finish is in really good shape. The other thing was the rear A/C had been replaced and the roof cover was white while the front one and roof heater vent were the correct blue but also looked ratty with nasty clear coat. I got a few estimates from various RV and other body shops and prices ranged from $3k-5k and that didn't include the 2 A/C covers and heater cover. I painted a car years ago and figured I can at least make it look a lot better than it is...so about $600 in base/clear coat material and a cheap HVLP paint gun and it was time to go. Started by giving everything a good scrub down. Then started sanding away all the clear coat and roughed up the basecoat to accept the new material. Lots of sanding/cleaning and climbing up/down the ladder a bout 1000 times. Due to some raining weather moving in the last few days I couldn't quite finish yet. But I'm really happy with the progress. Turned out much better than I hoped for. I won't say it's perfect, but being 10' off the ground helps it look even better. Should be able to finish the rest of the painting by end of the week. Then a little bit of sanding/polishing and I'm calling it done. Not a lot of before pics since I was racing the weather and daylight. Hardest part was painting the front end cap due to trying to reach and cover it all from both the top of the coach and ladder.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1005201532_HDR (Large).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	304391   Click image for larger version

Name:	1005201819 (Large).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	304392  

Name:	1008201859 (Large).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	304393   Click image for larger version

Name:	1009201551 (Large).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	304394  

BnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Nice job!
Lots of sanding work. The hardest part is sanding the clear without messing much of the base coat. Mine needed to go down to fiberglass to fix the issues.
Show some pics of the final!
Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be following this thread. I haven't fixed my clear coat peeling yet!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #4

You would be annoyed by my Hooptie. It's a $200 Corolla that I got just to keep miles off my truck and save a bit on just driving to work. The clear coat is always peeling. A big flake this morning reminded me of the scene in the Goldmember movie where they guy was saving his flaky skin to eat later. Every time I see one peel off I'll say..Smoke and a pancake?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:49 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I need to do the same to our rig.

My wife thinks I should farm it out to a pro, but I'm too much of a DIY guy, and being cheap doesn't help. I plan to do it myself. Have to wait until the Spring now though.

Nice work Bob. Thanks for inspiring me.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

Kudos to you, Bob! That's a lot of work. But, the reward is SO gratifying! I made a not-so-stellar attempt at fixing mine earlier this year. I peeled all the loose clear coat that wanted to come off. I scuffed everything with a brown scotchbrite pad. Washed & wiped it down with alcohol. Then sprayed (rattle can) it with Dupli-color premium enamel clear coat. I think my biggest mistake was spraying it from the top of the coach. We park at home in a confined space, so using a ladder was useless. I couldn't control the can & spray stroke with wrist twisted sideways.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #7

IMHO, if you are going to do all the work to prep the paint for spraying, and if the area is larger than 2sq feet, then I would invest in quality spray equipment (rent, borrow or buy if you do this stuff a lot), or hire a painter to do the spray for you. I would never use a rattle can for that much surface area.

What is needed: 2hp+ compressor, air regulator dryer, 3/8" hose, and a $150 minimum Devilbus or Sharpe HVLP spray gun, automotive quality clear coat and activator. Blue masking tape (several rolls), auto body roll of masking paper, clear plastic to mask rest of RV, Prepsol, wet sand paper on a rubber block - multiple grits from 400 to 1500.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nice....you're doing it the right way. So many think you can lightly sand the clear coat and re clear the paint. It will look good for a short period of time and come back. I tried many things with my Diplomat, before I realized it was a losing battle. I finally had the entire roof line repainted in a light color. It's nice when the roof matches the rest of the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnR View Post
We bought our 2006 Astoria a couple years ago and it had a little bit of flaking clear coat around the roof edges. This seems to be a common problem with RV's of this era. The issue kept getting worse and it was really bugging me as it looked horrible and the rest of the motorhome finish is in really good shape. The other thing was the rear A/C had been replaced and the roof cover was white while the front one and roof heater vent were the correct blue but also looked ratty with nasty clear coat. I got a few estimates from various RV and other body shops and prices ranged from $3k-5k and that didn't include the 2 A/C covers and heater cover. I painted a car years ago and figured I can at least make it look a lot better than it is...so about $600 in base/clear coat material and a cheap HVLP paint gun and it was time to go. Started by giving everything a good scrub down. Then started sanding away all the clear coat and roughed up the basecoat to accept the new material. Lots of sanding/cleaning and climbing up/down the ladder a bout 1000 times. Due to some raining weather moving in the last few days I couldn't quite finish yet. But I'm really happy with the progress. Turned out much better than I hoped for. I won't say it's perfect, but being 10' off the ground helps it look even better. Should be able to finish the rest of the painting by end of the week. Then a little bit of sanding/polishing and I'm calling it done. Not a lot of before pics since I was racing the weather and daylight. Hardest part was painting the front end cap due to trying to reach and cover it all from both the top of the coach and ladder.

Bob
Bob,
I have to commend you phenomenally on this. OUTSTANDING!! There are but a handful of even qualified *DIY* types on here that would take on that project. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, is also loosing some clear, just above the radius. You really can't see it from the ground but, when on the roof, yeah, you can see quite a bit here and there.

I too have painted cars and Jeeps in the past and, while it was/is a ton of work, especially in the prep, I found it quite fun in painting. I used Dupont Centauri for a couple of the cars and, on my Ford truck, I used Dupont Imron. All were single stage paint. I have never done a base/clear application. The ladder part is a pain in the a..., as you've found out. Up, down, up, down, up, down. That gets tough after even a short while.

But, it appears all your efforts are paying off. Pictures never do justice in things like this. It's up front and personal that really shows quality. I look forward to see a finished product. Closeup shots if possible. Good luck and great work.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
IMHO, if you are going to do all the work to prep the paint for spraying, and if the area is larger than 2sq feet, then I would invest in quality spray equipment (rent, borrow or buy if you do this stuff a lot), or hire a painter to do the spray for you. I would never use a rattle can for that much surface area.

What is needed: 2hp+ compressor, air regulator dryer, 3/8" hose, and a $150 minimum Devilbus or Sharpe HVLP spray gun, automotive quality clear coat and activator. Blue masking tape (several rolls), auto body roll of masking paper, clear plastic to mask rest of RV, Prepsol, wet sand paper on a rubber block - multiple grits from 400 to 1500.
You are absolutely correct. I should have known better. If this pandemic ever dies out, maybe I can get my son to help me out. He has a little experience with painting. He and his crew did up this F-15 for the Oregon Air National Guard anniversary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_1460126912445.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	304649  
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Imron paint for me when I do our rig!

I never have been a big fan of base coat/clear coat. I've seen too many peeling. Even BMW and Mercedes can't get it to stay on.

Good surface prep, and Epoxy primer, then shoot the Imron. You will have a paint job that looks like a pro! Just be sure to use a good respirator!

I have used it on boats, and it lasts.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 10-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #12

If you can still get the imron. I have a bit left that's 35 years old. last time I used it (10 years ago) it still worked great! Wonder how much the formula has changed over the years?

Especially for fiberglass parts it's been suggested to me to use either boat or aircraft paint, single stage.

My RV is 21 years old now, just dinged up enough to make me wince. All the easy to remove decals are off, the ones that remain are a PITA and will take a while.

I want to get the windows fixed, re-work the clearance and marker lighting, as well as the gutters, and delete the roof horns to reduce places or water intrusion, and then paint the thing.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
If you can still get the imron. I have a bit left that's 35 years old. last time I used it (10 years ago) it still worked great! Wonder how much the formula has changed over the years?
You may not be able to get Imron as such, but Glass Guard 2800, and Epoxy 1400, 1500, or 1700 primer will get you similar results.

They are made by Glass Sheild. Info at glass-shield.com if you want to have a look.

They have different hardners for fast, medium, or slow cure speeds. It will also depend on the thinner you use as well.

Here's a link to the Canadian site. We might have different rules to follow up here.
https://glass-shield.com/pdf/2800_en.pdf

Happy Glamping.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #14

Imron is still available but I understand the formula has been changed so can't comment on the new product. Dupont sold the rights to it a while back. The old formula was bulletproof and would easily last a minimum of ten years with minimal care. There are other 2 part epoxy paints that are available in the marine world that are the equal of imron.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote