Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Anyone prefer a special grease for their steering joints?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

I simply use a good heavy duty grease that has moly in it.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Same grease you use on all of the grease fitting.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
This is what I use:
Valvolineā„¢ Crimson Grease : Product Catalog - ValvolineĀ®
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

I would use what the manufacture prefers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would use what the manufacture prefers.
I would if I knew. I was hoping maybe someone would know and I wouldn't have to do the research.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #7

Greasing zerk fittings on these coaches is not rocket science. Some greases are better than others. A few minutes research on the net will reveal some better quality ones that are redilly available in many auto parts stores etc. Usually, but not always, a higher priced grease is a better quality one with better traits.

I've done the "tacky" test many times in auto parts stores. If they have various types etc. in front of me on the shelf and, they're all in a tube, I get a paper towel and simply remove the plastic cap and, touch the grease with a finger. Then, squeeze it between two fingers. If it's not very tacky and feels like it won't provide protection, I wipe off my fingers and, move to the next one.

Then, I also read all the specs on each tube which, once you've read one, the specs usually are very similar on each different brand. In the end, I usually end up with:

Pack of 10 14 5oz Tubes of Lucas Oil 10005 Red 'N' Tacky Grease | eBay

Scott

I've used that same grease in every possible lube point in every vehicle/boat/trailer/RV/Motorcycle that I've owned and, so far, nothing has ever worn out. But, I lube things often so, I'd just about bet that I could use any grease and all of it would survive.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Greasing zerk fittings on these coaches is not rocket science. Some greases are better than others. A few minutes research on the net will reveal some better quality ones that are redilly available in many auto parts stores etc. Usually, but not always, a higher priced grease is a better quality one with better traits.

I've done the "tacky" test many times in auto parts stores. If they have various types etc. in front of me on the shelf and, they're all in a tube, I get a paper towel and simply remove the plastic cap and, touch the grease with a finger. Then, squeeze it between two fingers. If it's not very tacky and feels like it won't provide protection, I wipe off my fingers and, move to the next one.

Then, I also read all the specs on each tube which, once you've read one, the specs usually are very similar on each different brand. In the end, I usually end up with:

Pack of 10 14 5oz Tubes of Lucas Oil 10005 Red 'N' Tacky Grease | eBay

Scott

I've used that same grease in every possible lube point in every vehicle/boat/trailer/RV/Motorcycle that I've owned and, so far, nothing has ever worn out. But, I lube things often so, I'd just about bet that I could use any grease and all of it would survive.

Thanks Fired Up. I've done my own auto maintenance growing up but as I've gotten a little older I typically don't much any more but with the MH I'm willing. That is why I was wondering what others might use. Thanks for your input I will see what's on the shelve at the auto parts stores.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

I use waterproof "blue" grease to lube everything I own; farm equipment, tractors, pickups, autos, MH, you get the drift, for the obvious benefit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #10

I just did the lube on the coach and used what the manufacturer recommended. The information was easy to find. I have used the Lucas red-n-tacky in other applications but chose to use recommended in this case. When I had a boat I used the waterproof in the boat and trailer applications but in reading the freight liner lubrication requirements recently, it said not to use the waterproof.

My new pneumatic Lincoln gun made the job a lot easier since I wasn't built with 3 hands. For this wondering it has a variable trigger and I was able to get grease from all the caps on the drive shaft universals by going slow. I had a manual gun ready incase I couldn't get the grease to all caps but this gun worked great.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did the oil change and lube today. Used the Lucas EP #2 Red and Tacky, it met the requirements which actually aren't very specific. Thirteen zerks including the drive shaft.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum