Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2022, 01:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
GREAT (and not so great) experience at NIRVC Las Vegas last week!

Hey, gang. I want to share a few things about my first visit to a National Indoor RV Center -- this time in Las Vegas (because they haven't figured out how to open one closer to Northern California, YET! =).

First, I have to say that--albeit with only a couple other RV shop experiences and a mobile RV tech experience to compare it--I was very impressed with their organization, their property, and their ability to move and manage soooo many rigs each day.

Second, if you don't already have a go-to service center, (and maybe even if you do), this place deserves your consideration (and money). Their service team was great. Bethanie stepped up nicely on our first day there to cover for Jonathan (fighting covid) and Jonathan returned the next day to take us the rest of the way. Both of them were great and easy to work with--professional, friendly, understanding, empathetic, and helpful! I was able to even squeeze in a few additional items that needed diagnosing and repair during the week that we spent at their facility.

Suffice it to say that, after this single experience at NIRVC L.V., we will surely return there both when ready to upgrade to a newer rig and for any future work that I'm unable or unwilling to do on my own. In fact, I plan to make that 10 1/2 hour drive to return to Jonathan and the Las Vegas location in March to see if they can help us out with a couple more things that should be covered under our extended warranty (a broken slideout and an AC/heat pump that sounds like it's on its last leg.)

All that said, we were also very disappointed by one aspect of our trip and it might help others to plan accordingly if we post it here. I was in communication with Jonathan and the NIRVC team for nearly a year as I got to know my RV and started planning how and when we could get to NIRVC--not just for maintenance items, we can get that locally--but specifically for Proteng and RettroBands. If you don't know about these items, you should--they both can save your rig and even your life! And if you do know about these, then you likely are aware that the RettroBands have been super hard to come by due to a redesign and then the nationwide problem at our ports that is stranding so many parts offshore.

Anyhow, after many months, we were finally able to secure a pair of 275-305 RettroBands for our RV so that we could get them installed when we made this (what we thought would be only a) 10.5-hour each way yearly visit. We even paid in advance so that these would be waiting for us when we got there and I even went so far as to buy two new Michelin tires so they could install the new tires while they were installing the RettroBands (it didn't make sense to put 5-year old tires back on the rims and risk a blowout or having to replace them somewhere other than NIRVC down the road). But as the saying goes, the best laid plans of mice and men...

It turns out that the 275-305 RettroBands don't actually fit the 275 rims! Apparently, nobody knew this, yet--at least not the Texas location or the Las Vegas location. If I understand correctly, they are creating (or did create already?) new molds specifically for the 275 wheels but the product is not available yet and they were unable to provide an ETA on when they might be. I know this wasn't Jonathan's fault and he did arrange to install my new tires at no charge since I already had purchased them and had them delivered to their shop. Still, it was very disappointing.

We were fortunate enough to meet Brett and Angie in person at a NorCal Newmar rally last summer and they reinforced my belief that the RettroBands are a critical component that should not be considered "optional" on our 40' RV. And this was when and where my wife learned about these devices (I had known about them for months and was working with Jonathan to get the install scheduled). Needless to say, the demo made her anxious about a front-tire blowout ever since and she was eager to get these installed during this trip. In fact, this installation was the centerpiece of our to-do list that led us to Las Vegas and NIRVC so you can imagine her disappointment when they told us they could not install them. Hopefully they'll get these in soon and we can get back there to install them.

Anyhow, I didn't intend to rant--we really did enjoy our experience and the service at NIRVC outside of the RettroBand issue and, like I said, we're already making plans to return there and to work with Jonathan on some other issues. I hope they can get us some information soon about when the 275 RettroBands will be available but, until then, maybe this post will help others with this same wheel size to avoid getting caught off guard the way we did.

Best of luck and safe travels to all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVJandJ63 View Post
Hey, gang. I want to share a few things about my first visit to a National Indoor RV Center -- this time in Las Vegas (because they haven't figured out how to open one closer to Northern California, YET! =).

First, I have to say that--albeit with only a couple other RV shop experiences and a mobile RV tech experience to compare it--I was very impressed with their organization, their property, and their ability to move and manage soooo many rigs each day.

Second, if you don't already have a go-to service center, (and maybe even if you do), this place deserves your consideration (and money). Their service team was great. Bethanie stepped up nicely on our first day there to cover for Jonathan (fighting covid) and Jonathan returned the next day to take us the rest of the way. Both of them were great and easy to work with--professional, friendly, understanding, empathetic, and helpful! I was able to even squeeze in a few additional items that needed diagnosing and repair during the week that we spent at their facility.

Suffice it to say that, after this single experience at NIRVC L.V., we will surely return there both when ready to upgrade to a newer rig and for any future work that I'm unable or unwilling to do on my own. In fact, I plan to make that 10 1/2 hour drive to return to Jonathan and the Las Vegas location in March to see if they can help us out with a couple more things that should be covered under our extended warranty (a broken slideout and an AC/heat pump that sounds like it's on its last leg.)

All that said, we were also very disappointed by one aspect of our trip and it might help others to plan accordingly if we post it here. I was in communication with Jonathan and the NIRVC team for nearly a year as I got to know my RV and started planning how and when we could get to NIRVC--not just for maintenance items, we can get that locally--but specifically for Proteng and RettroBands. If you don't know about these items, you should--they both can save your rig and even your life! And if you do know about these, then you likely are aware that the RettroBands have been super hard to come by due to a redesign and then the nationwide problem at our ports that is stranding so many parts offshore.

Anyhow, after many months, we were finally able to secure a pair of 275-305 RettroBands for our RV so that we could get them installed when we made this (what we thought would be only a) 10.5-hour each way yearly visit. We even paid in advance so that these would be waiting for us when we got there and I even went so far as to buy two new Michelin tires so they could install the new tires while they were installing the RettroBands (it didn't make sense to put 5-year old tires back on the rims and risk a blowout or having to replace them somewhere other than NIRVC down the road). But as the saying goes, the best laid plans of mice and men...

It turns out that the 275-305 RettroBands don't actually fit the 275 rims! Apparently, nobody knew this, yet--at least not the Texas location or the Las Vegas location. If I understand correctly, they are creating (or did create already?) new molds specifically for the 275 wheels but the product is not available yet and they were unable to provide an ETA on when they might be. I know this wasn't Jonathan's fault and he did arrange to install my new tires at no charge since I already had purchased them and had them delivered to their shop. Still, it was very disappointing.

We were fortunate enough to meet Brett and Angie in person at a NorCal Newmar rally last summer and they reinforced my belief that the RettroBands are a critical component that should not be considered "optional" on our 40' RV. And this was when and where my wife learned about these devices (I had known about them for months and was working with Jonathan to get the install scheduled). Needless to say, the demo made her anxious about a front-tire blowout ever since and she was eager to get these installed during this trip. In fact, this installation was the centerpiece of our to-do list that led us to Las Vegas and NIRVC so you can imagine her disappointment when they told us they could not install them. Hopefully they'll get these in soon and we can get back there to install them.

Anyhow, I didn't intend to rant--we really did enjoy our experience and the service at NIRVC outside of the RettroBand issue and, like I said, we're already making plans to return there and to work with Jonathan on some other issues. I hope they can get us some information soon about when the 275 RettroBands will be available but, until then, maybe this post will help others with this same wheel size to avoid getting caught off guard the way we did.

Best of luck and safe travels to all!

Good afternoon BVJandJ63,

I’d like to start by thanking you for the commitment in travel you made in order to trust the service of your coach to National Indoor RV Centers at our Las Vegas location. It’s not lost on a single person here who pays our paychecks, and that National Indoor RV Centers merely handles the transaction.

I also want to thank you for the “GREAT” part of your post. I truly appreciated it!

Now for the “not so great” part of your post. Ugh! The amount of inconvenience and frustration we heaped on you may only be surpassed by my embarrassment as I read your post. For my almost 44 years in business I’ve always said “if you don’t want to read about it on the front page of the Wall Street Journal… don’t do it!” While IRV2 isn’t the WSJ, trust me, in the small pond we call motorhomes, it might as well have been on the front page.

I can appreciate how this unfortunate situation happened, which I want to explain for anyone who may read this post, and then I want to discuss trying to make this right by you. Trust me, the last thing I want is for you, or anyone who read this “to be spitting on the ground at the mention of our name.”

First things first, I had another reminder go out to all our General Manager's and Service Managers that our Version 2.0 295 Rettrobands DO NOT fit on 275 rims. I really don’t want this to happen to another customer! I also want to say, I know our people don’t wake up in the mornings wondering who they can inconvenience when they go into work. I know I have been blessed with an abundant number of great employees who truly have customer service in their DNA, but being human, they will drop the ball from time to time.

Our Version 1.0 Rettroband 295s were pretty universal, and fit 275, 295, and 305 rims. Our 315s fit 315 rims, and our 365s fit only 365 rims. However, this is no longer the case with our Version 2.0 Rettrobands. By adding the stainless band inside the Rettrobands they are now slightly wider, and far too rigid. Bottom line, 295s will now only fit 295 and 305 rims. 315s will only fit 315 rims, and 365s will only fit 365 rims. Our 275 Rettrobands MAY fit both the 255 and 275 rims, but we won’t know for certain until the two shipments with 275s finally arrive. FWIW, those two shipments are currently in Dallas, but are being held at a customs facility, and are due to be released anytime. For the past several weeks, we have felt like monkeys in a cage, with the bananas just outside of our reach as it relates to our two largest shipments of Rettrobands.

Lastly, besides being embarrassed, I’m just sick at the inconvenience we caused you. I know I can’t give you your time back, but I will try and make it right by giving you your choice of one of the following:

1. Reimburse you the cost of your fuel to and from our Las Vegas facility. According to Google Maps, round trip from Livermore, CA to our Las Vegas facility is 1,100 miles. I’m assuming you get about 6 miles/gallon, and according to my Gas Buddy app, the average cost of diesel fuel in the Livermore area is $5.00 per gallon, or $917. To be safe let’s round it up to an even $1,000.

2. You mentioned in your post you’re thinking of coming back to our Las Vegas facility in March, and I am very grateful you’re still willing to give us a “do-over!” The Las Vegas Motor Speedway gave us a sweetheart deal on a suite for all NASCAR races. The suite comes with all the food and drink you can consume, plus Hot Passes and Garage Passes. If you happen to be a NASCAR enthusiast, and would like to attend all three races in our suite, it would be our honor to host you and your wife. You can stay in your coach at night, as the LVMS is just two exits away.

3. We have our All Inclusive Motorhome Club (AIMclub.org) rally in San Diego 3/17 to 3/21. I promise there will be a night to remember at this rally, which can never be duplicated. In addition to staying in a resort right on the ocean, and all the other fun activities already planned, you will get to eat dine under the stars on the deck of an active aircraft carrier to live music from an eight piece band in San Diego bay.

If you’ll PM me your which of the three options interests you, along with your cell phone number, I will make sure it happens.

Onward,
Brett
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
BrettDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDavis View Post
Good afternoon BVJandJ63,

I’d like to start by thanking you for the commitment in travel you made in order to trust the service of your coach to National Indoor RV Centers at our Las Vegas location. It’s not lost on a single person here who pays our paychecks, and that National Indoor RV Centers merely handles the transaction.

I also want to thank you for the “GREAT” part of your post. I truly appreciated it!

Now for the “not so great” part of your post. Ugh! The amount of inconvenience and frustration we heaped on you may only be surpassed by my embarrassment as I read your post. For my almost 44 years in business I’ve always said “if you don’t want to read about it on the front page of the Wall Street Journal… don’t do it!” While IRV2 isn’t the WSJ, trust me, in the small pond we call motorhomes, it might as well have been on the front page.

I can appreciate how this unfortunate situation happened, which I want to explain for anyone who may read this post, and then I want to discuss trying to make this right by you. Trust me, the last thing I want is for you, or anyone who read this “to be spitting on the ground at the mention of our name.”

First things first, I had another reminder go out to all our General Manager's and Service Managers that our Version 2.0 295 Rettrobands DO NOT fit on 275 rims. I really don’t want this to happen to another customer! I also want to say, I know our people don’t wake up in the mornings wondering who they can inconvenience when they go into work. I know I have been blessed with an abundant number of great employees who truly have customer service in their DNA, but being human, they will drop the ball from time to time.

Our Version 1.0 Rettroband 295s were pretty universal, and fit 275, 295, and 305 rims. Our 315s fit 315 rims, and our 365s fit only 365 rims. However, this is no longer the case with our Version 2.0 Rettrobands. By adding the stainless band inside the Rettrobands they are now slightly wider, and far too rigid. Bottom line, 295s will now only fit 295 and 305 rims. 315s will only fit 315 rims, and 365s will only fit 365 rims. Our 275 Rettrobands MAY fit both the 255 and 275 rims, but we won’t know for certain until the two shipments with 275s finally arrive. FWIW, those two shipments are currently in Dallas, but are being held at a customs facility, and are due to be released anytime. For the past several weeks, we have felt like monkeys in a cage, with the bananas just outside of our reach as it relates to our two largest shipments of Rettrobands.

Lastly, besides being embarrassed, I’m just sick at the inconvenience we caused you. I know I can’t give you your time back, but I will try and make it right by giving you your choice of one of the following:

1. Reimburse you the cost of your fuel to and from our Las Vegas facility. According to Google Maps, round trip from Livermore, CA to our Las Vegas facility is 1,100 miles. I’m assuming you get about 6 miles/gallon, and according to my Gas Buddy app, the average cost of diesel fuel in the Livermore area is $5.00 per gallon, or $917. To be safe let’s round it up to an even $1,000.

2. You mentioned in your post you’re thinking of coming back to our Las Vegas facility in March, and I am very grateful you’re still willing to give us a “do-over!” The Las Vegas Motor Speedway gave us a sweetheart deal on a suite for all NASCAR races. The suite comes with all the food and drink you can consume, plus Hot Passes and Garage Passes. If you happen to be a NASCAR enthusiast, and would like to attend all three races in our suite, it would be our honor to host you and your wife. You can stay in your coach at night, as the LVMS is just two exits away.

3. We have our All Inclusive Motorhome Club (AIMclub.org) rally in San Diego 3/17 to 3/21. I promise there will be a night to remember at this rally, which can never be duplicated. In addition to staying in a resort right on the ocean, and all the other fun activities already planned, you will get to eat dine under the stars on the deck of an active aircraft carrier to live music from an eight piece band in San Diego bay.

If you’ll PM me your which of the three options interests you, along with your cell phone number, I will make sure it happens.

Onward,
Brett
I get more impressed with each one of your responses. When r u going to expand to Canada 😀
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Holy cow! And THIS is why I drove all the way to Las Vegas (and why I will again)!

Brett! You are far too kind in your response. I didn't expect you to jump in so quickly although I did have a hunch you and your team would help set us all straight regarding the potential arrival/timing of these 275 RettroBands. But I was not looking for compensation (with the possible exception of being high on the waiting list for when those do finally arrive ). I've heard stories about your integrity and I witnessed it in your efforts to change the way manufacturers, dealerships, and warranty companies operate on behalf of your customers. I can't wait to see that all come together! Your focus on customer service precedes you but this is still far above anything I expected. I will message you privately, as well.

I feel bad, though, that I posted this here, now--I didn't stop to think of the negative impact it might have on this forum. So let me make it perfectly clear that I *DO* understand that our inconvenience was not the result of any intentional act on the part of anyone at NIRVC. It's just an unfortunate event that I was hoping I could prevent others from running into by posting the info here. RettroBands have been hard to come by anyway and I know I'm only one of hundreds of customers who are eager to get these installed, which is why I felt so fortunate to get a pair reserved for our trip to Las Vegas last week (and disappointed when it didn't work out).

To reiterate, if the RettroBands were the only reason we made that trip to Las Vegas last week, then we would have been pretty upset--even when understanding that it was not intentional. But as I also said, it was the primary reason--not the only reason--that we made the trip. And I do not regret it! It was fortuitous for us because we met Jonathan, got many other nagging issues addressed, and are looking forward to heading back there to get some more work done next month. If this misunderstanding had not occurred, we might very well have postponed our NIRVC trip for Proteng and RettroBands until they were both available and we would've gone somewhere close to home for our yearly maintenance tasks. As it turns out, though, we got our Proteng installed, a Safe-T-Plus device installed (which helps ease the worry about the front end blowout scenario until we get the RettroBands installed), and your team looked into and fixed where needed about a dozen other issues while we were there!

My wife and I are both thankful for all of that work and look forward to finishing up these few outstanding issues and getting the RettroBands as soon as they're available to us.

And who knows... with any luck, they will make it out of customs and we'll have a set to install on our rig when we get back to Las Vegas next month!

And, again--from the bottom of my heart--Thank you! For being you and for being here for us who are learning to count on and who will depend on you and your team going forward!

--Bill
Old 02-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRaces View Post
I get more impressed with each one of your responses. When r u going to expand to Canada [emoji3]

WOW. Could not agree more. This is unheard customer service in an industry that is growing less and less trustworthy. Brett and NIRVC are a shining example of how it OUGHT to be
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would have been dam right for La Mesa Rv to even reimburse me half the cost of the botched slide repair they did on my rig a few years back- and I only live 50 miles from there. I'm not going to travel the distance to NIRVC to get anything done but it's a great testament to their place to hear about the great damage control they do.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #7

If you look in the dictionary under customer service, you’ll see the definition is NIRVC. WHAT A FIRST CLASS OPERATION. And Brett Davis is the epitome of a leader with integrity and real concern for us customers.

I am so happy we are picking up our new coach next week at their (our) Atlanta location.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:35 AM   #8

Brett Davis' response was awesome.... looks like I know where I'll be going when it's time to buy our next coach !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Brett, amazing response!
Old 02-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #10

We're currently narrowing down our choice on which Newmar we'll end up with. Even with a 12 hour drive from Detroit to the closest NIRVC, I don't see why I would ever consider buying from someone else.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, Brett, an amazing response and confirms our trust and dedication to NIRVC and their amazing commitment to their customers.
Wil_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #12

Wow. Brett's response was amazing. I know of only one other business I've encountered with that kind of customer service, and they're not in this industry!

If and when the opportunity arises, I'll be sure to give NIRVC a try in person.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I would like to thank all of you for your extremely kind comments. They’re very humbling. I really appreciate them, and truly appreciate all your support and patronage over the years.

I do feel very blessed to be a part of the coolest business ever! What business gets to enjoy the friendliest community of people on earth as their customers?! I would submit, nowhere except in the RV industry. Thank you!

Also, I was very grateful for the opportunity to make right on a ball we clearly dropped. Now, I’m so looking forward to meeting Bill and his wife at our AIM Rally in San Diego in March. Bill has been an incredible gentlemen through all of this, and after speaking with him on the phone I can see why… it’s just innate. He really is the embodiment of a true gentleman. I’m thrilled he and his wife are members of our NIRVC family.

All’s well that ends well,
Brett
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
BrettDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NIRVC---VERY Impressive!

We are currently waiting on our new unit through NIRVC's Vegas location, and this, along with every other response and recommendation we've seen, makes us absolutely certain that we made the right choice.

We had originally considered a unit at La Mesa RV San Diego as they are much closer but they were so incredibly horrible just during our initial visit that I can only imagine what the long-term relationship would have been like.

We are eagerly awaiting becoming a part of the NIRVC family because of their stellar reputation, and unfailing dedication such as this to their customers .

Thank you Brett, Angie, and all of the NIRVC team and family for being the shining light in the RV industry; we as your customers appreciate it very much.
RajTaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas