Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #99

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While many leave Gray open, (maybe best if you have big Class-A w/ Washing machine?), I prefer to close/ monitor use, and dump Black when GRAY fills and then FLUSH w/ GRAY. I would PREFER to NOT have a 1/2-3/4 full Black and empty/ Low Gray? LIFE changes results UNexpectantly
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 01:59 AM   #100

I have always left it open to dump BUT always put either a couple sharp S bends in the hose OR a gooseneck vertical bend much like in domestic toilets - to keep the stink where it belongs and NOT in your mh !

GL
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #101

Just returned from a four-day trip. As recommended by the “experts” (you can tell they’re experts because they say so on YouTube), I leave both tanks closed, even if I have the dump hose connected to a sewer.
I was reminded of this good advice yesterday when I dumped the tanks before departure. As usual I started with the black tank. I noticed that the effluent was a bit on the clear side. After the black stopped flowing, I closed the main dump valve and opened the grey tank valve to backflush into the black. Then I closed the grey and opened the black. This time the black tank yielded some solid stuff. Had I parked with the grey tank open, I would not have been able to flush the black tank. The solid stuff would still be there.
Yes, I use the tank treatment that should break up the solid stuff, but it takes time to work. Having the contents of the grey tank available to rinse the black tank means a lot less worry about black tank buildup.
The black tank level indicator (old-fashioned lights) showed a 2/3-full tank for the last three trips despite the empty-flush-empty routine. This time, I finished with all lights dark, so the backflush from the grey is working to keep the level sensors clear as well as improve the emptying of the black.
Those YouTubers might be onto something.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:53 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBike View Post
Just returned from a four-day trip. As recommended by the “experts” (you can tell they’re experts because they say so on YouTube), I leave both tanks closed, even if I have the dump hose connected to a sewer.
I was reminded of this good advice yesterday when I dumped the tanks before departure. As usual I started with the black tank. I noticed that the effluent was a bit on the clear side. After the black stopped flowing, I closed the main dump valve and opened the grey tank valve to backflush into the black. Then I closed the grey and opened the black. This time the black tank yielded some solid stuff. Had I parked with the grey tank open, I would not have been able to flush the black tank. The solid stuff would still be there.
Yes, I use the tank treatment that should break up the solid stuff, but it takes time to work. Having the contents of the grey tank available to rinse the black tank means a lot less worry about black tank buildup.
The black tank level indicator (old-fashioned lights) showed a 2/3-full tank for the last three trips despite the empty-flush-empty routine. This time, I finished with all lights dark, so the backflush from the grey is working to keep the level sensors clear as well as improve the emptying of the black.
Those YouTubers might be onto something.
Were you on a full hook up?
Old 06-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #103

On my old coach I installed a tank sprayer in the Grey tank in addition to the black. I used a garden hose Y with valves to direct the flow to either tank. Although the opportunity did happen often, when I had sewer hookup at a camp spot I would open the Grey valve and hold the black.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
I have always left it open to dump BUT always put either a couple sharp S bends in the hose OR a gooseneck vertical bend much like in domestic toilets - to keep the stink where it belongs and NOT in your mh !

GL
Reinventing the wheel? Isn't it easier and more effective to simply close the valve until the tank is nearly full then open the valve and drain the tank?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #105

Before I leave for a trip I put some nice soapy water in the gray and black tank which gives the tanks a nice wash down on the way to my destination. When I start camping I have some clean Soapy tanks.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Sometimes when you make an all encompassing statement, you need to think about how other RV's are setup and not just your own situation. My full wall slide extends over 30" and then drops down 6", covering all the bays on the driver's side. To access the wet bay means someone very small accesses the bay, or I crawl on my knees. If there are bushes/hedges on that side, it can be nearly impossible.

I've had two back surgeries and both knees replaced. I get around well, but why would I want to punish myself to access the wet bay.

You're right about everyone needs the exercise, but not always the same type. I have to use a recumbent bike to get my exercise, to keep the stress off of my knees.
Didn't you just say in another thread you had electric valves and a Sani-con system?
Old 06-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4LK View Post
After hooking up the sewer we open the grey for the duration of our stay. A friend told me he never does that because the tank could fill with gas from the sewer and end up in our coach! Not sure if the gases could make it past the P traps? What do you do?

Thanks
Dana
I bet you didn’t think you were going to get 8 pages of replies about a silly dump valve did you?
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #108

sewer gas! ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4LK View Post
After hooking up the sewer we open the grey for the duration of our stay. A friend told me he never does that because the tank could fill with gas from the sewer and end up in our coach! Not sure if the gases could make it past the P traps? What do you do?

Thanks
Dana

We have owned 2 campers a class "C" and now a Class "A" you never are to leave the Black tank open until ready to Empty 2/3's Etc.. But I always leave Grey tank open until I need to empty Black tank, Then I close Grey Tank, I use sewer solutions hook up going through a 3/4" or 7/8" hoses with no problems. it was sold @ camping world for several years but don't know now .... so far I have never had a sewer gas problem...
ET-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:06 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I bet you didn’t think you were going to get 8 pages of replies about a silly dump valve did you?
Or see it picked up and run with nearly two months later.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #110
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Didn't you just say in another thread you had electric valves and a Sani-con system?
Yes I did! I have an electric valve on my BLACK tank which I can operate from inside the coach. There is no need for an electric valve on a grey tank on my coach and how I camp. I also have the SaniCon system which has a grey water bypass, which also can be operated from inside the coach. I can connect my SaniCon hose to the sewer drain faster than anyone here can connect their 3" hose to the coach. I simply open the grey valve and I'm done, the SaniCon allows grey water to bypass through the SaniCon. Since I have macerator toilets, the black water will also pass through the SaniCon bypass. When I'm ready to dump my black tank, I simply flip the black tank switch inside, return in about five minutes and flip the switch off. Tanks drained.

Again, EVERYONE has their OWN reasons for dumping the way they do, from a tent trailer with just sink water draining, to an all electric coach with a washing machine, dishwasher and unlimited hot water for showers. So do what works best for you!

On my daughters fifth wheel, they can walk right up to the valving and open their tanks, no obstructions. On mine, I have to crawl three feet under a slide that is anywhere from 25" to 35" off of the ground, depending on the site. With two knee replacements and two back surgeries, it's not something I like or want to do, so I leave the grey OPEN, which I've been doing for 50+ years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I keep them closed until it's time to dump. That way no gas enters. I like to rinse the hose after dumping black with the gray dump.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, tank, water