Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2022, 08:18 PM   #1

H.R. admiral set tire pressure

Hello everyone;
I have 275/70/22.5 tires on my H.R. and I am getting confused on what tire pressure I should run. Mine is the Holiday Rambler Admiral se, 22000 GVWR.
I am thinking 110 psi. Any help would be great.
garyw148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 12:06 AM   #2

Without your loaded for travel scale weights for each axle ( each corner even better ) and tire manufacturer and load rating info; any info you can get online is a guess .
Old 06-05-2022, 02:32 AM   #3

If you are "thinking" or "guessing" what to inflate your tires to, then be sure to over-inflate a bit instead of underinflating. Overinflating will give you a more bouncy ride, rattle things around inside, loosen screws, bolts, fasteners, etc. and make more noises overall inside the coach as it's bouncing more than it should. It could also make it more squirrelly to steer and and more difficult to handle. BUT, it's better to do that than to underinflate as that can become dangerous because there will be more chance of a blowout or other type of tire failure because of overheating and stress on them.

So yes, as was mentioned, what you ideally want to do is to go get your traveling weight figures. Go to the scales and get your axle weights (and as said, 4-corner if you can) so you can inflate your tires to the PSI that will give you the best ride and handling and still safely support the weight you'll be carrying.

Load the motorhome in the manner which you typically will travel with and then go to the scales and get your weights. Then you can use the inflation tables to set PSI according to those weights.

We'd all be just guessing right now as we have no idea how much you take along when you travel. Therefore, at this point, there's no way any of us can advise you on the ideal PSI to use for the tires on your rig as only you know how much cargo and people, etc. you'll typically be traveling with while on the road. None of us know that at this point.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:19 AM   #4

garyw148-

Monaco put a label near the driver seat. It lists the tire size and pressures that Monaco recommended when your coach shipped from the factory. The rule is this: If you do not have loaded scale weights for the coach, and the tire size installed on the coach matches that on the label, then inflate the tires to the pressures indicated on the label. It's as simple as that.

On another note, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After getting my weights I called the tire manufacturer with that info and was given a window of “no less than but no more than”

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:32 AM   #6

You've been given some good advice and, for more complete information, everything you need to know is here:

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2011/03...and-roger.html

Here's one of several relevant sections:

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/...lation%20table

The author, Roger Marble, aka Tireman9 is a retired tire engineer and IRV2 member. He knows his stuff.

You'll need to track down and download the load tables for your particular tire brand, size and load range. The response to your phone call have given you some accurate information based on the tables, but they could have been more helpful. In my experience, the tables for different brands don't seem to vary much for the same tire size and load range (both are important).
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:02 AM   #7

Thank you.
I just added my signsture (I hope)
Old 06-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

Thanks to all. I will get my RV weighed. not sure where yet but will start looking.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #9

Gary , thank for setting up a signature line.

Might I suggest adding your coach's chassis manufacturer info , to what you've already placed in your signature . The more info other members have when you ask questions the better answers you'll get.

Check around for the closest Cat Scale , most large truck stops have them . Love's ; Flying J.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary, using the label on the coach wall for tire pressure is good for now, but most likely will be 10-15 psi more than you need. That 10-15 psi can make your coach ride like a tank.

As soon as you can, find a place to way the coach. Often there may even be places in your town that can way you.

While you're waiting to get weighed, go to the website of your tire manufacture and print out their tire pressure recommendations for your weight. That way, when you get it weighed, you'll be ready to adjust the air (cold).

The weight chart, for example, may say if your front axle weighs between 8350 and 8860 pounds, inflate your tires to 100 psi. When you get your actual axle weight, you'll look for the weights that your axle falls between and use that psi.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #11

Keep in mind, using tire load/inflation charts you'll be running your tires at 100% capacity. The vast majority of tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading per the Tire and Rubber Industry.
I run mine at the Federal Tire Placard listed pressures, never had a tire issue, and I don't have to add/remove air every week with changes is temperature or elevation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:27 AM   #12

I got my motor home weighed and the front is 7200 lb and the rear is 14100 lb.
I was not able to get each wheel separately. The HR manual tire pressure chart is of no help because the numbers are nothing like my weights.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #13

What tires??
Old 06-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
What tires??
Roadmaster RM272 by cooper tires 275/70R/22.5

Tags
tire pressure, tire