RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

Had some tire thump at around 55 mph...

... so I lifted the front wheels off the ground with the jacks and spun the tires. Expected to see that maybe a tire was egg shaped, but it's a side-to-side motion. Belt shifted? The wheel appears to be straight, though I haven't measured it with a run-out gauge yet.

Sorry for the sideways video, but you'll certainly get the idea.

Strange that over 60 mph everything was very smooth. Just finished a 1,500 mile trip so feeling lucky that it didn't blow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KgWFrGuRUMp8iBpn7
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #2

This type of tire failure , will be more noticeable at slow speed , when the tread has more time on the ground to transmit to the steering components.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #3

If your wheel bearing are good and your wheel isn't bent, you have a bad tire.

Any looseness in the bearings ?

Did you check wheel run out ?

Balancing sand can rebalance a bad tire. That can explain it smoothing out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your wheel bearing are good and your wheel isn't bent, you have a bad tire.

Any looseness in the bearings ?

Did you check wheel run out ?

Balancing sand can rebalance a bad tire. That can explain it smoothing out.
Yes, there is some looseness in that bearing. Visually the wheel looks fine while spinning, but I haven't measured it with a gauge yet.

I suspect that there is balancing sand in the tires. I bought the coach used 18 months ago and a couple times when I've checked the pressure in the tires the Schrader valve has stuck, leading me to believe that there must be sand in there. I did wonder if the sand was masking the tire problem at higher speeds.

Do you think a loose bearing could have caused the tire to wear this way? Seems like if the bearing were loose enough to wobble like this it would be REALLY loose and we'd see it in the wheel too.

The tires are 3-1/2 years old and I don't think they have more than about 5k miles on them.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #5

I see a bent rim effect on the tire video. That is easy to check, lay a concrete block near the rim, lay a yardstick on the concrete block with the end about touching the rim bead, then rotate the wheel. Then do the same for the tire, which can have broken cords.
I also see the outer edges of the tire worn oddly, which can be a sign of under-inflation or alignment issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I see a bent rim effect on the tire video. That is easy to check, lay a concrete block near the rim, lay a yardstick on the concrete block with the end about touching the rim bead, then rotate the wheel. Then do the same for the tire, which can have broken cords.
I also see the outer edges of the tire worn oddly, which can be a sign of under-inflation or alignment issue.
I don't think the wheel is bent just watching it while it spins, but I'll be at the storage yard today and will hold a straight edge up against it to see.

I run the tires at 85 psi cold, which is about 10 psi higher than the minimum according to the chart. They usually end up around 93-94 psi when warmed up according to my TPMS.

Misalignment is always a possibility. I plan to get it checked. Not too many shops around here have equipment for the big wheels, so I may have to drive a few miles to one of the truck tire shops on I-40 in Flagstaff.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Nice video. Quite a wobble! Awaiting the rim inspection!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I would dismount and then remount the tire and recheck
Old 10-02-2020, 02:28 AM   #9

Sometimes just deflating the tire, while off the ground, will show the lumps of belt seperation in the sidewall.

I had 3 tires that looked OK, until they were deflated, and then the defects were obvious.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Sometimes just deflating the tire, while off the ground, will show the lumps of belt seperation in the sidewall.

I had 3 tires that looked OK, until they were deflated, and then the defects were obvious.
Ok, thanks for that advice. I'll give that a try.

There is some run-out in the rim too, but not nearly as much as in the tire. I had a big rig mobile mechanic scheduled to come and look at it today but he never showed.

I'll try reseating the tire too if it looks ok when deflated.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #11

A tip from Tireman9; close to the tire bead is a small line, this line helps accurately mount a tire on the rim when the distance between the small line and rim is equal all around rim.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #12

Great info! Thanks
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A tip from Tireman9; close to the tire bead is a small line, this line helps accurately mount a tire on the rim when the distance between the small line and rim is equal all around rim.
That Tireman9 is a pretty smart guy! The distance between that line and the rim varies, and it coincides with where the tread varies side-to-side, so it appears that the tire was not seated properly. I've owned the motor home for about twenty months and 5,000 miles now, and it must have been that way the whole time!

I have a mobile tire guy coming to fix it tomorrow. I'm hoping that the tire has not been damaged.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #14

Well my tire guy thinks it's the wheel. I do see that the wheel has a slight amount of run-out, but not nearly as much as the tire. He says that the run out will increase as you get farther away from the center, which makes sense to me, so I went ahead and ordered a wheel.

W-22 Workhorse chassis from 2002-05 or thereabouts used Maxion 6.75" wide wheels, Maxion part number 5088067587. I found a source of them on E-Bay for $95, with free shipping. These are new take offs apparently, though probably a few years old as this part number is now obsolete and has not been made for a few years. I believe Workhorse later switched to a 7.5" width wheel. This looks like a good deal if you need a 6.75" wheel for a spare. An RV junk yard I checked with wanted $250 for the same wheel.

Here's a link to the E-Bay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202966536232