Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Half Cover

Over the years I've kicked around buying a cover for my MH and with full paint I haven't really had the fading to justify the purchase or the work involved putting it on and taking it off.

I just bought a different MH and in the bin is a brand new cover in the unopened box. This has provided me with a free cover. I have always just been concerned with the interior and window coverings fading so I used foil backed rolled insulation as sun shields.

I have been thinking that a half cover would be ideal as it would be lighter and easier to install. It would cover the roof and down to just below the windows. This would eliminate the sun on the windows and also keep the roof clean and help stop dirt streaks.

I have a free cover and I'm thinking about cutting it up and having an upholstery shop hem it and add some eyes for tie downs. Nothing to lose!!

Thoughts???
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

I have been thinking the same thing but I didn't want to buy a new cover and cut it up, just in case it doesn't work the way I want it to. CW has a new cover that just covers the roof and a few inches down the side which will help with the bird droppings ect., but doesn't go down as far as you are talking. I would go ahead and try it, from what I have heard for those of us in Southern Ca., the full cover is not worth the effort and may actually cause more scratches than it is worth, especially when we get the Santa Ana winds.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I have been thinking the same thing but I didn't want to buy a new cover and cut it up, just in case it doesn't work the way I want it to. CW has a new cover that just covers the roof and a few inches down the side which will help with the bird droppings ect., but doesn't go down as far as you are talking. I would go ahead and try it, from what I have heard for those of us in Southern Ca., the full cover is not worth the effort and may actually cause more scratches than it is worth, especially when we get the Santa Ana winds.
We stopped in CW in Santa Clarita on our way home from Rincon Parkway yesterday and I was eye balling that half cover. It looks like the perfect cover for us out here in SoCal to keep the sun from beating on the roof as well as birds and dirt. Can not seem to find many who have used it. I had another full cover for my last coach and it was miserable to put on and take off.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
We stopped in CW in Santa Clarita on our way home from Rincon Parkway yesterday and I was eye balling that half cover. It looks like the perfect cover for us out here in SoCal to keep the sun from beating on the roof as well as birds and dirt. Can not seem to find many who have used it. I had another full cover for my last coach and it was miserable to put on and take off.
530ktm
It seems to me that the tie-downs for a "half cover" would be more likely to scuff/scratch the finish when it's windy....even more than a "full cover" does.
Mel
'96 Safari, (uncovered for 19 years,140k miles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

I haven't decided if I'll try it yet, but now that I have 2 responses, if I don't like it, I get can you both in a bidding war.

I'm still thinking the whole thing through, so far I don't see any drawbacks. I'm thinking it might be light enough to make it manageable, it'll cover the roof and windows, should be easy enough to tie down. It's far enough down my list of projects that I won't get to it real soon, but i'll post here if and when I do it.

I've never had a cover so I've never had to handle or store a giant filthy sail.

The storage yard I keep mine in is surrounded by agriculture and on one side a construction yard, dirt on the roof is the major issue.

I hope to be headin to the Rincon next week, if not then it will be after summer. The spots are pretty much all taken while school is out. Besides, the you can't get in the 60s without a reservation!?!?!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
530ktm
It seems to me that the tie-downs for a "half cover" would be more likely to scuff/scratch the finish when it's windy....even more than a "full cover" does.
Mel
It appears that the straps to tie it in place are away from the coach so there is not rubbing. Covers Only the RV’s Roof - this is what it says on the site for ADCO.

Weighs a Fraction of What Full Size RV Covers Weigh (10 to 15lbs)
Easy to Install
Helps Eliminate Black-streaks and Protects Roof from Environmental Damage
Attaches Using ADCO’s Patent-Pending Wheel Anchor System that Prevents Straps from Contacting RV Side-Walls
Constructed Using DuPont Tyvek® for Maximum Durability and UV Resistance
Water Resistant Yet Breathable
Designed to Accommodate Roof-Top Accessories (Such as A/C, Satellite Dish, Horns, etc.)
Includes Storage Bag
2 Year Warranty
Old 05-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a cover on our previous MH, and that was a much smaller rv. They really are heavy, although my husband found a way to get it up on top without having to lift it all with a mop. But now our new larger MH is too tall for us to safely do it ourself.

Just a topper might be the answer, but as Mike and Cha stated, I can't imagine the Santa ana winds whipping the topper around, keeping the wind from getting under it and ripping it around would be an issue. We did get scratches from the old one, and basically the cover itself was ripped up within a year and half.

I wish there was an easy answer!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Never seen it done to an RV, but in the frozen north, boats are shrink-wrapped for the winter; some pretty big ones too. Wonder if "wrapping" a Class A would be feasible...?
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With ANY cover, you need to get it up to the roof, which is half the battle. For me, if I'm going up there, I'm going to protect the entire MH...not just part of it. This became a challenge for me when my helper/son got married and moved out, LOL!

I ended up buying a drywall hoist at Harbor Freight. I lay a piece of plywood across it and place my cover on the plywood before cranking it up to the roof. I still need my wife's help in getting the straps untangled, but I no longer need help getting the heavy cover up to the roof.

Craig

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432764278.917767.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	95435

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Gadget Man;2575314]
I ended up buying a drywall hoist at Harbor Freight. I lay a piece of plywood across it and place my cover on the plywood before cranking it up to the roof. I still need my wife's help in getting the straps untangled, but I no longer need help getting the heavy cover up to the roof.
Craig

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
530ktm
Mel
That's what I was thinking while reading the replies, and you posted the same thoughts.
I used a plastic tarp to cover our 5ers, that reached to about a foot below the sides and end caps. I secured it with bungee cords. I never found a scrape or scratch from the bungee cords or the tarp cover in 16 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm too old and lazy to fool with a cover!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #13

Joe
Me, too. Wife didn't like me on roof of our house, got metal roof installed and now she says NO! Cost me $100 to get a fellow to bleach the mold off and I fumed. But now that I think about it, one fall and no more RVing. Read an interview with an ER Dr. about things he sees in his ER. He says if you are a senior, don't get on a ladder--amongst other things. And he is correct. We no longer spring back with the resiliency of youth, and may in fact, never heal right. Prudence should prevail for me, even if I grit my teeth. At least I will have them to grit!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hard choice. I was thinking of just a roof cover. Winds beat up the side, last winter with a full cover. Wind is fierce here. Need to keep the snow and ice off of the roof though.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote