Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone bought one like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...taf?Itemnumber=65414
Are they guieter than a typical construction generator like a Briggs & Stratton?
I know comparing this to a Honda is apples & oranges probably but $1000 is out of the question.
I'd like to be able to run it all night when we don't have neighbors close, in the winter time, but I sold my last Briggs because it was obnoxiously loud and I don't want another like that.
Also, if you have one or like it, is it pretty reliable?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are they guieter than a typical construction generator like a Briggs & Stratton?
I know comparing this to a Honda is apples & oranges probably but $1000 is out of the question.
I'd like to be able to run it all night when we don't have neighbors close, in the winter time, but I sold my last Briggs because it was obnoxiously loud and I don't want another like that.
Also, if you have one or like it, is it pretty reliable?
Denver, Colorado
Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Your link is to another construction generator. I doubt that this one would be any quieter than the last.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Also, if you have one or like it, is it pretty reliable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have one however the size and configuration of the muffler would make it seem that this one would be quieter than the typical contractors unit.

If you have a HF Store local to you walk in and ask the manager about the unit. Get the 2 year No Questions Asked over the counter exchange warranty. Start it up and return it immediatly if you don't like it.

Quality can be a mixed bag depending on the unit and your watch care in taking care of it. Get the required filters etc ahead of time and don't stretch out the schedule. Change and do all maintenance on time using good quality oil.

The reservation I would have would be the availiblility of the air filters. If not a standard engine that would be used on power equipment serviced at most local shops you may have to wait for them to be shipped from HF's parts dept which can add to the overall cost of ownership.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
http://ads.checkerauto.com/che...186%26pagenumber%3d2

Try this one
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #6

It will be too loud for what you want. Quiet costs $$. Much of the racket is engine mechanical noise, as I found out when I tried to quieten my 6500 watt construction unit.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies guys. The muffler on this one is at least twice as big as the muffler that was on my old 5000W Briggs & Stratton gen. and it's a smaller engine.
I saw the ones that Checker sells but I only saw the big ones and I want one that I can easily put in and take out of the MH compartment, by myself.
I guess the best way to try it is to buy it. 30 day return policy, but I would'nt want to buy one that another customer had put oil and gas in and ran it. Well not if I can get a brand new one for the same price.
I don't know how good their policy is but a 2 yr extended warranty is only $50 and the genny is $300
I wonder how much a 3000 Watt Honda or Yamaha cost?
I just don't like to wear out the 5500 Onan for 8 or more hrs. per day not to mention that it's not very economical.
That generator has a switch on it . One way is 120 Volts and the other way is 240 Volts.
If this gets switched to 240 while plugged into the MH or any thing else, is that 'good bye' to what ever 120 Volt item it was plugged into?
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #8

The muffler only plays a small part in the noise reduction. Open frame Gensets produce the majority of the noise because they are "Open Frame" and are not designed to be quiet. They are designed to produce power at construction sites. Not next door to a resting camper!
JMHO!!
Jerry
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #9

I once tried to quieten a Coleman 4.5KW genset. I bought the "quiet" muffler from Briggs, installed it, and I actually believe it was noiser. Over $120 for nothing, nada results. That construction genset now is used for emergency power at the house. I bought a Boliy PRO3600si gensetwith the same specs as the Honda SI series RV gensets.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Max, I have a little Honda 650 that I run all day long with about 1/2 gal of gas. Using a bat charger, it put about 20 amps into the bat that keeps my Dual DVR sat box powered 24/day....don't want to miss my nascar and ball games.

Anyway, you might consider a used Honda 650, 1000 or a 2000, althought the 2000 is a bit heavy for me. My 650 is about 14 yrs old and running like new. About 10 yrs back I installed a hour meter and it now has 900 some hrs. My point is that you may find a used Honda for the $300-350 you would spend on a HF no-name unit.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #11

You might consider an tried and true Cummins Onan from Costco with a manufacturers warranty of 2 years and the Costco "no questions asked return policy".
http://www.costco.com/Browse/P...atchallpartial&Nty=1
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner: My 650 is about 14 yrs old and running like new. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I just gave my EX650 bought in 1987 to a friend (have a 1 & 2k too), and it looks like the day it came out of the box. I think it's actually quieter than the new ones and can be had for $75-$200.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote