Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
has anybody had to extend their gas/brake pedals

Just wondering if anybody had to or wanted to extend their gas or brake pedals. I have a 2000 H/R Ambassador 34 ft DP and I am 5 10 tall but feel uncomfortable with the distance to the pedals. I was out of RVing for a long time had DP and everything in between and never had this distraction before. I know you can buy extentions and even make them. Any ideas or best ways to extend the pedals?
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
Just wondering if anybody had to or wanted to extend their gas or brake pedals. I have a 2000 H/R Ambassador 34 ft DP and I am 5 10 tall but feel uncomfortable with the distance to the pedals. I was out of RVing for a long time had DP and everything in between and never had this distraction before. I know you can buy extentions and even make them. Any ideas or best ways to extend the pedals?
Thanks
Could the seat be moved farther forward ? Maybe if the bolts to the floor are loosened,
there is some slack, and the seat can be moved 1/4 - 1/2 inch ? I think something is
Not quite right because most seats I've tried would even accommodate drivers 5' 2" and
You at 5' 10" should be able to get comfortable. Maybe I'm wrong..... I'll wait to see what
other people's thoughts are.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have done that many times in street rods and custom cars. The throttle pedal should be easy enough to extend but I would be extra careful with the brake. perhaps take the pedal out of the bus and pay a fabricator to weld an extension on it. if the kits you can get are stout enough and your happy with them then go for it.
Just an after thought can you lower the seat and be more comfortable?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
follow on

Just to add more info, I could move the seat up but then the steering wheel comes into play. It is a situation where I have attemped everything thing with the seat and postions of the steering wheel in and out, up and down extended not extended, the seat forward and back. I think it is poor design with problems with pedals and seating. I think the people building and designing motorhome should have some expierence with driving and maintaining them.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

With my 29in inseam I use a piece of wood about 3/4in thick on my brake pedal. The GO pedal is OK.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My '06 HR has a button to the left of the drivers seat that shows pedals in or out.
I am 6'3" and have on occasion ,when I was board driving, began to play with the buttons, I know shame on me.
Anyway the coach started to slow down and slow down, so I pulled off into a rest stop, seems as tho one of the buttons moved the petals far enough forward I lost contact.
I hope you can find your button and solve your problem.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Maxwell 18

I did a google search on short people driving accessories. There were a bunch of results that should help you.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My coach has adjustable pedals too, button on left console
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

I would not weld on the brake pedal, you could very well affect the integrity of the metal.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For many years JC Whitney had pedal extensions in their catalog.. Have not looked at their catalog for a while.

Alas. took a quick look and did not find them.

Wright & Filippis also has been known to carry them but again a quick web search gave no joy. (They are a Consumer level Medical Supply house)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have a 2000 HR Imperial and I have the same problem. I'm 5'11" and I have to move the seat so far forward that my knee almost touches the dash (hate to think about a crash). and I have to lower the seat so much that the steering wheel is a little high. I would love it if there was a magic button, but I haven't found it. I'll investigate the pedal extenders.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #12

The chassis maker may have a solution. I'm 5'10" and have to tilt the steering wheel all the way up to get comfortable. Mine is a Spartan bus chassis.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bolted a 3/4" thick board onto the gas pedal and then screwed another 3/4" block on top of that. Didn't have to do any thing to the brake pedal.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #14

My father-in-law was 5'0" . He had a pair of 2by4 blocks he would move car to car. Attached with bailing wire. Yup, a redneck!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, gas