Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
costco batteries are made by Johnson controls and are ranked pretty high and 6V Kirkland golf cart batteries are about $79. And you can not beat the customer service. I dropped one battery while putting it into my F350 cracking the case. I took it back and it was replaced no question. Try that at a lot of auto stores.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
Opinions on the affect (effect?) of having the Trace inverter/charger set to maintain gel-cell batteries when the bank is actually lead-acid type? Cells kept boiling over (new to me RV) and when I finally ran through the settings on the Trace I found the incorrect setup. My house battery consists of four GC2 6V units.
At the wrong setting you are probably charging too "agressively" which is causing the boil.
At the correct settings your charger will start off at a high charge rate and then drop the rate as the batteries are charging up. Most good chargers charge at 3 different rates, the maintenance rate is soft such that your batteries should never boil or use water and would/should never need maintenance unless they are defective/dying.
The voltages and charge rates are pre-programmed in your converter/inverter for different types of batteries.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #17

I would definitely recommend gel cell or agm. I had 3 8D gel cell battteries on my Country Coach Intrigue. I kept the coach plugged in all the time and had a little over 7 yrs of service from them before I traded the coach. they were still good when I traded the coach. I purchased them from a Batteries Plus store. No maintainance and no problems at all. Highly recommend. dcoke
dcoke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

I see costco mention quite a bit when it comes to rv batteries. I do not have a membership here but would consider one if the batteries are reasonable. I know prices vary by state but what price range am i looking at? I have an Interstate store close by and there price is $139. The maintenance to me is not a big deal and it seems the AGM and gel last just as long as a wet cell IF properly maintained. Please someone correct me if i am wrong.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
IF properly maintained. That is a big IF. if you have a good charger, 3-5 stage that adjusts for battery type, the AGMs seem ideal. It would not be a big deal to just look at the terminals for corrosion, but looking at every cell to check for the water levels is different.

Does anyone have an opinion on the SAMs AGM batteries?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look what I just found.

http://www.sears.com:80/amstron-ap-g...=1357274808233
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #21

Nice find!!!!
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought 2 Sam's 6V batteries last March and smeared No-ox paste on everything metal and have had zero corrosion in 9+ months. They use very little water -- about 1/2 oz per cell per month. They fit my budget and have plenty of amp hours to meet my needs. Has anyone calculated the cost difference between the the 3 types and the Trojans vs $79 6Vs?Since there is seldom an installation charge and monthly maintanence takes 15-30 minutes, I don't see the advantage of spending so much more on AGM and Gels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This summer I purchased 4 wet cell 6 volt batteries from Sears for $89 each. I installed a Pro-fill system and it literally takes 3 minutes to pull out a bottle of water and attach the suction hose and fill all the cells in all 4 batteries at once, without even pulling out the battery tray. As far as I am concerned, maintenance is a non issue with this setup. So if I get 6 or 7 years from these batteries, I am way ahead of the game versus paying 2 to 3 times as much for AGM batteries. JMHO
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
okmunky,
i was able to increase my battery bank capacity from about 190 ah to 300 ah by installing 2 lifeline agm gpl-6ct batteries ON THEIR SIDES. that was over 5 years ago and they are still working well.
for me, it was a no-brainer to use the higher capacity batteries even with the higher price. i got my batteries from bd batteries online. the shipping was at no extra charge.
there are pictures of my installation in the archives of this forum.

Lifeline GPL-6CT Battery
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
So AGM's use a different charging system?
Not a diffrent charging system, A diffrent charging Rate (bulk, aborsorb,and float voltages) Lead acid, AGM, and GEL are all diffrent charge rates. Most good RV battery chargers are 3 stage, and are able to be set for the type of battery to prevent over/under charging. Nothing wrong with lead acid batterys you just have to pay a little closer attention to them. You didn't mention what model charging system you have for the house battery, if it is a standard 12V converter/charger they are good for over charging batterys.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
Retired Senior Member

[QUOTE=Davdeb1;1419395]Look what I just found.
$225 is a deal??
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you compare it to OTHER quality AGM BATTERIES IT IS. The only AGM I have found for less is the SAMs club AGM. $159.73. 190 AH. I'm definitely going to put in 4 AGM 6v batteries because I'm on oxygen, and just bending over takes my breath away. If I could easily check and fill the flooded cell batteries, I would do it.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1

If you compare it to OTHER quality AGM BATTERIES IT IS. The only AGM I have found for less is the SAMs club AGM. $159.73. 190 AH. I'm definitely going to put in 4 AGM 6v batteries because I'm on oxygen, and just bending over takes my breath away. If I could easily check and fill the flooded cell batteries, I would do it.
Hey Dave...the AGM route looks pretty attractive for you. However, as several others have posted a Pro-Fill system makes checking and filling flooded cell batteries EASY!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote