RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you used a scaffold to work on your MH?

Doing roof, etc. re-sealing and I need a way to do the sidewall joints. I want to re-caulk and then seal with two-inch wide Eternabond. In the meantime, I'm resealing everything on the roof with Eternabond. Then come painting.

There is a question in here, and here it is.

I've decided the best and safest way to work on the sidewalls is off of a scaffold. My question is have you (anyone) used either of these two, or another that you would recommend? (To do the sidewalls, I need to have my feet at least 58-inches off the ground).

From Walmart - free shipping

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Serie...xoC1-0QAvD_BwE

From Harbor Freight - plus $70.00 freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/Heavy-...hoCiHYQAvD_BwE

One more question while I have your attention:

Has anyone painted Eternabond installed on your RV roof while painting the roof? I'm going to be using Heng's Rubber Roof coating.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Short answer yes. I have installed solar panels on two RV's. Made it easy to get panels up on the roof. Should work good for your job. Got mine at Home Depot. Also used when painting the house.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. I've looked at Home Depot and Lowe's and they want from $230 for one set. I'd buy from them without hesitation but was hoping someone might have had some experience with the lower cost ones from Walmart and Harbor Freight.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

Rubber roof or fiberglass? I would search Craigslist first, in my area they are always listed just as you have posted
Old 06-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
My Harbor Freight scaffold is real handy for working high up on the sides of the MH, especially when polishing it.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #6

I just purchased a Harbor Freight model off of Craigslist for $90 a couple weeks ago. Used it for the first time to paint our patio cover and was glad I had it. Saved a lot of up and down on a ladder. I plan on using it for polishing the MH also. Very handy to have around and I don't plan on selling it for some time.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #7

I have a rolling staircase of the type workers use to get things down in warehouse stores,I use it to access things high up on my coach. I bought 3 of them in various sizes at a store fixture auction about 15 years ago from a Lowes that had moved across the highway to a new building for about $150 total.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep debating on getting one for myself but when I do decide it will probably be from Menards.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/l...515-c-7985.htm
Old 06-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to 1doodadd and capnqball, just found one on Craigslist. Picking it up this afternoon. $90. If y'all weren't so far away, I'd buy both of you a coffee...or beer.

This is why iRV2 is my favorite place to go for advice. Thanks to all of you for your input.

Guy
Old 06-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #10

You will be glad you got it. I have accustom cabinet and renovation business and use the scaffold all the time, but I will admit that it probably comes in as helpful if not more to work on MH. You will love having it.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #11

Yes, I bought and use a 6’ rolling Metaltech scaffold I purchased from Northern Tool. I wash our MH from ground level with a foam cannon, extendable lambs wool mop, and use a DI rinse, but the rolling scaffold works great for waxing, cleaning the windshield, treating slide seals, etc. I also use it to have a 5-6 foot advantage when using the ladder to access the roof. Oh, I bungee a 4’ step ladder to the bottom of the scaffold before climbing on the scaffold. 60+ years old will make one creative. Safe travels.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #12

Those Baker style scaffolds are all pretty much identical, and probably all made in the same factory. I bought 2 from Northern to stack and make a 12' one, and then added one from Home Depot to make it 18'.

And yes, I used a 6' section to replace the front clearance lights on both the Suncruiser and then the Sunstar. Rather than use the end ladder rungs for access, I lashed an 8' step ladder to one end. That made it a lot safer.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Glad you found the cheaper one.

Yes I have used the Harbor Freight Scaffold for several years. In between jobs it makes great shelving in the garage.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #14

I just uncaulked and resealed my fiberglass roof. I sat and kneeled on the roof to push the 4" razor blade into the caulk. I don't think one can do that from a scaffold as you won't be on top of the caulk line and can't get the leverage one needs working from the side.

Resealing, sure. But that's the way easy part of the job. Eternabond? You need to be directly ontop of the tape to roll it firmly down.

The scaffold would just get in the way IMHO.