Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #1

HD Shocks

Recently installed HD Shocks - front and rear - on my M2 106 Super C. These shocks are customized to your vehicle. Immediately, I noticed a much smoother ride with less side-to-side movement/rocking and less noise in the cab. The vehicle has more stability on curves. I am very impressed with the product. Next report will be after installing 6 new tires and Safe T Plus steering stabilizer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #2

I ordered a set of these a couple months ago. Not any other clear options for S2RV chassis RVs that I could find. Just got notification that they are built and should ship soon.

How did the installation go? Did you install them yourself? Any tips you could share?

Also what tire pressures do you run? Did you find that you wanted to change the nominal pressures after getting the shocks?

Did they handle your I-95 trip OK?
Old 05-10-2023, 05:53 PM   #3

The installation was done by a local heavy-duty truck axle and spring company because HD Shocks said that the best way to put the rear shocks on was to remove the rear wheels. The installation took about 2.5 hours, was relatively inexpensive (around $350) and the axle and spring company was able to install the rear shocks without removing the wheels! Professionals!

We did not change the tire pressure. We run 110 lbs on the front and rear tires.

Right now, the coach is in the shop getting 6 new Toyo tires and Safe-T Plus installed. We expect the coach to be out of the shop in early June, and the trip is planned for mid-June. We can update you at that time.

FYI - The shocks came in one box, and the box weighed about 54 pounds. If you order the same size shocks as the ones I received, 2.5" front shock and 3" rear shocks. My DW said the shocks were too pretty to be hidden. The manager at the axle and spring company said, "boy, are these NICE."

Check with HD Shocks for a recommendation for an installer or distributor in your area. Our motorhome repair shop did not want to install the shocks, and they provided us with the name of the local axle and spring company, which we used.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! I'm sure I could swap the fronts just fine, but the rear I was not looking forward to. Your install price is not bad! I'll check with them for a recommended installer.

I'd love to read your impressions once you get a chance. Our next big trip isn't until the end of June, although we have a couple local weekend trips planned in between. We already have the Safe-T-Plus and it made a big difference in driving through the winds we often get out here. I'm looking forward to also handling the poor quality of Interstate 70 through the mountains. Our last trip on I70 was so rough; we broke two water pipe fittings and one of our closet door mirrors. And we were doing the truck speed limit of 40-50 mph!
Old 07-10-2023, 08:20 AM   #5

Update

I would like to update my thread after a trip, cut short by several mechanical issues - not related to shocks, tires or Safe-T-Plus. After installation of new shocks, new tires and Safe-T-Plus, I observed the following. I went to Ocala, FL for the installation of the Safe-T-Plus.

There are fewer squeaks and rattles, the highway road bouncing is gone as well as most of the bouncing on side roads. My coach now tracks straight and there is no push when passed by tractor trailer trucks on the left or right side.

The Toyo tires are low resistance when aired up to 110 psi after 4-corner weigh and using the Toyo chart. Unexpectedly, the MPG increased! On the OEM tires, while driving 66-67 MPH, I had 8.0 to 8.9 MPG. On the new tires, driving 68-70 MPH, I had MPG of 8.9 to 10!

The Toyo tire sizes are 295/75 R22.5-M-177 front, and 295/75 R22.5-M-671A rear. The rear tires have a slight tread pattern. Next planned trip is in September, about 3,000 miles. More updates at that time!
Old 07-10-2023, 11:57 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Worth the money, right?
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #7

YES
Old 07-12-2023, 11:02 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What was the price? When I talked to the rep at Quartzsite, they were outlandishly expensive. I asked if he had a shock for the Freightliner chassis. He said they would custom build one. I asked him from what coach would they get the information. He couldn't answer, so I'm a little leery of their customization.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:43 AM   #9

Yes, the HD Shocks are expensive but they are worth it. The shocks are custom-made. Call the factory and speak with Pat. Make sure you have your rig's VIN. Once HD Shocks has that information, they contact the chassis manufacturer - in my case Freightliner - and confirm the exact suspension components. This ensures that the shocks are properly suited for your rig's suspension components - especially when the components change year-over-year. Based on this information, I received 2.5" inch front shocks and 3" rear shocks with all of the spacers built into the shocks. The shocks fit so well that that the spring and axle installer did NOT have to remove the rear tires to install the shocks. I hope this helps. You may wish to speak with Pat and ask him how he started the company and why he started the company. There are not a lot of options for shocks for Super C motorhomes. If you decide to purchase HD Shocks, it is highly recommended that you change all of the shocks to HD Shocks.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:24 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbear View Post
Yes, the HD Shocks are expensive but they are worth it. The shocks are custom-made. Call the factory and speak with Pat. Make sure you have your rig's VIN. Once HD Shocks has that information, they contact the chassis manufacturer - in my case Freightliner - and confirm the exact suspension components. This ensures that the shocks are properly suited for your rig's suspension components - especially when the components change year-over-year. Based on this information, I received 2.5" inch front shocks and 3" rear shocks with all of the spacers built into the shocks. The shocks fit so well that that the spring and axle installer did NOT have to remove the rear tires to install the shocks. I hope this helps. You may wish to speak with Pat and ask him how he started the company and why he started the company. There are not a lot of options for shocks for Super C motorhomes. If you decide to purchase HD Shocks, it is highly recommended that you change all of the shocks to HD Shocks.
And the price??? I would call and ask, but the last contact I had with them was like dealing with a telemarketer.....many unsolicited calls.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Don. I personally remember speaking with you in Quartzite 2022. That was our first event we did. We have now done over 600 for many applications. We have been very busy and we are excited to continue to help the RV community with providing a quality shock that helps improve the ride and handling.

Let me know what questions I can help you with.

CUSTOM TRUCK, RV & SEMI SHOCKS by HD SHOCKS Race Proven. Highway Comfort.
SHOCKERRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:14 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What's the price, pretty simple question.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:17 AM   #13

To SHOCKERRV,
I've not been able to find out anything about the operation of the shock. I looked on the website and found no information detail about the shocks operation or valving that makes them so great.
I sent a message to the website with specific questions and got a generic response with a, these are great shocks and you should get some, type response with none of my questions answered.
I know a little bit about the valving and operation of shocks so I would like to know more about these shocks.
Pricing is an important factor and the only indication was from Don at "outlandish expensive" Coldbear says he had them installed on his coach, but hasn't offered any indication about the price, could be a bit embarrassed on what was spent.
How about an average cost for a 2019, 40 ft Freightliner chassis with a solid front axle, front weight 11,600 lbs and rear of 22,580 lbs? You indicate that all shocks are custom made to the coach so that should give you enough information to provide an average cost.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
To SHOCKERRV,
I've not been able to find out anything about the operation of the shock. I looked on the website and found no information detail about the shocks operation or valving that makes them so great.
I sent a message to the website with specific questions and got a generic response with a, these are great shocks and you should get some, type response with none of my questions answered.
I know a little bit about the valving and operation of shocks so I would like to know more about these shocks.
Pricing is an important factor and the only indication was from Don at "outlandish expensive" Coldbear says he had them installed on his coach, but hasn't offered any indication about the price, could be a bit embarrassed on what was spent.
How about an average cost for a 2019, 40 ft Freightliner chassis with a solid front axle, front weight 11,600 lbs and rear of 22,580 lbs? You indicate that all shocks are custom made to the coach so that should give you enough information to provide an average cost.

Probably why Koni FSD’s sell so well. All info and pricing is right there. I just asked Henderson’s Lineup fir pricing on my rig. 24 hours later, had a formal quote sent to me with options for install scheduling. .
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks