Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With changing TV technology and the fact that the motorhome TV video was poor, I decided it was time to upgrade and convert to a HDTV.

The first task was finding a 26 inch HDTV with dimensions that would allow a relatively easy installation. Several sets exist, but the Sharp 26 inch seemed to fit the best, had very good video, and was cost competitive.

Because this set generates some extra heat that the old one did not (135 watts vs 95), I wanted to keep the set outside the existing cabinet. The first few photos show what was I did.

Access to and routing of the needed cables should be made as easy as you can. You never know what you may have to do later.

An important point here is to make sure things are well secured. I used all new screws that were a little bigger and longer so as to get a good bite in the wood. I pre-drilled all holes to avoid splitting of the wood. I added a few extra screws just to safe.

Selecting a mount was difficult. I found some mounts while not very costly ($35), they were not designed for use in a motorhome. You cannot fully tighten some of them and they will surely rattle and allow the TV to bounce a bit. You want a mount that is firm, stable and lockable some how. The next few pictures show the mount I used. It was costly, but very well made and is lockable.

Once I got the TV on the mount, I realized even with the locking tabs, a good bounce will possibly bounce the TV off. So I used two 7 inch turn-buckles to tie down the mount to the cabinet frame. See the photo. Now the TV cannot go anywhere.

For those who might want to remove the TV a lay it on the bed when the motorhome is in motion, a word of caution. I called Sharp tech support and asked about doing this. Their answer is basically this....LCD/Plasma HDTV sets are not designed to lay flat. If it is necessary to do so, the screen should be up and protected with a thick pad. The underside should be on a soft foam pad. Damage attributed to flat storage is not covered under a warranty.

So far the TV is doing fine, no complaints at all. For local stations I use the standard roof top antenna we all have. My experience is that the antenna is good for HDTV stations up to 50 miles, so I see no need to consider any of the so-called HDTV antennas. An advertised HDTV antenna is a rip off...TV antennas are TV antennas, there is nothing special about them in regards to HDTV signals. So save your money!!

FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With changing TV technology and the fact that the motorhome TV video was poor, I decided it was time to upgrade and convert to a HDTV.

The first task was finding a 26 inch HDTV with dimensions that would allow a relatively easy installation. Several sets exist, but the Sharp 26 inch seemed to fit the best, had very good video, and was cost competitive.

Because this set generates some extra heat that the old one did not (135 watts vs 95), I wanted to keep the set outside the existing cabinet. The first few photos show what was I did.

Access to and routing of the needed cables should be made as easy as you can. You never know what you may have to do later.

An important point here is to make sure things are well secured. I used all new screws that were a little bigger and longer so as to get a good bite in the wood. I pre-drilled all holes to avoid splitting of the wood. I added a few extra screws just to safe.

Selecting a mount was difficult. I found some mounts while not very costly ($35), they were not designed for use in a motorhome. You cannot fully tighten some of them and they will surely rattle and allow the TV to bounce a bit. You want a mount that is firm, stable and lockable some how. The next few pictures show the mount I used. It was costly, but very well made and is lockable.

Once I got the TV on the mount, I realized even with the locking tabs, a good bounce will possibly bounce the TV off. So I used two 7 inch turn-buckles to tie down the mount to the cabinet frame. See the photo. Now the TV cannot go anywhere.

For those who might want to remove the TV a lay it on the bed when the motorhome is in motion, a word of caution. I called Sharp tech support and asked about doing this. Their answer is basically this....LCD/Plasma HDTV sets are not designed to lay flat. If it is necessary to do so, the screen should be up and protected with a thick pad. The underside should be on a soft foam pad. Damage attributed to flat storage is not covered under a warranty.

So far the TV is doing fine, no complaints at all. For local stations I use the standard roof top antenna we all have. My experience is that the antenna is good for HDTV stations up to 50 miles, so I see no need to consider any of the so-called HDTV antennas. An advertised HDTV antenna is a rip off...TV antennas are TV antennas, there is nothing special about them in regards to HDTV signals. So save your money!!

Old 08-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:

Because this set generates some extra heat that the old one did not (135 watts vs 95), I wanted to keep the set outside the existing cabinet. The first few photos show what I did.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Pretty slick conversion Ted. I have been thinking about this but I want to use the space left from removing the TV to add a Home Theater System. So, I plan to have a swing down display. This also eliminates the "look up" to watch TV.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Pretty slick conversion Ted. I have been thinking about this but I want to use the space left from removing the TV to add a Home Theater System. So, I plan to have a swing down display. This also eliminates the "look up" to watch TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been contemplating a swing down flat screen LCD to cure the look up to TV thing also. Didn't think of the home theatre system, good idea. Be sure and post when you do project. I am not proud, and besides I like your designs and ideas.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to add that LCD/Plasma TV's do not like temperatures below 32 degrees F. A local dealer told me the screens can crack. If you live in the cold areas, keep the MH heated or take the TV indoors.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #7

Recently I moved from GA to NC and when I was settled in NC I wanted a HDTV, so I called DirecTV, which had been my tv provider in GA. A rep came out and said that I could not get HDTV nor regular TV from DirecTV because the trees were too tall around my house. He left and I stood there really ticked. I called Dish, the guy came and after doing a survey, said no HDTV but I get good reception for regular TV. So, beware - your HDTV reception may or may not be available depending upon where you aim the antenna. By the way, I bought a Sony 40" LCD HDTV. It does not run hot as do many of the plasma sets and it has a beautiful picture. Check it out - Sony makes smaller LCD sets.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
Brake Buddy
04 Saturn L300W
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doggievet:
Recently I moved from GA to NC and when I was settled in NC I wanted a HDTV, so I called DirecTV, which had been my tv provider in GA. A rep came out and said that I could not get HDTV nor regular TV from DirecTV because the trees were too tall around my house. He left and I stood there really ticked. I called Dish, the guy came and after doing a survey, said no HDTV but I get good reception for regular TV. So, beware - your HDTV reception may or may not be available depending upon where you aim the antenna. By the way, I bought a Sony 40" LCD HDTV. It does not run hot as do many of the plasma sets and it has a beautiful picture. Check it out - Sony makes smaller LCD sets.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
Brake Buddy
04 Saturn L300W </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is too bad that DirecTV and Dish both told you that. I am sure they did their typical site survey. However, I have never known a Dish installer to give up. I have very tall trees at home that the Dish guy said may be a problem, but he got me all of the channels and HDTV by aiming the dish to a different satellite for the HDTV portion. He showed me a chart that had all of the sat locations to explain what he was doing...very informative. I saw the same thing happen in Florida last winter with my next door fellow camper. Trees in this case were the problem too. But with the campground owners permission, the installer relocated the dish on a pole 40 feet from the RV.

Thanks for the info on the Sony. I have a 42" Panasonic plasma and it has to internal fans to get the heat out. My new Sharp 26" LCD in the motorhome runs fairly cool and has a great picture. The technology has come a long way from black and white TV's.

Enjoy !!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:12 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Pretty slick conversion Ted. I have been thinking about this but I want to use the space left from removing the TV to add a Home Theater System. So, I plan to have a swing down display. This also eliminates the "look up" to watch TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale you have given another idea and project to do...

I have a big empty space behind the TV inside the cabinet. It is a perfect place for a surround sound amplifier, etc., etc.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have installed a 32" LCD Samsung flat panel on a panel that covers the whole for the old TV. I used a close quarter (1/2") mounting bracket.

The only thing that has bothered me about this setup is a slight amount of slack which allows the TV to wiggle a little. I resolved the slack problem by drilling and tapping one flange and installed a 10/32 screw which locks behind the wall mount.

After getting rid of the bracket slack, I still had a little movement in the TV. Low and behold, it's the TV case itself that has some give in it. This now raises a new issue as to wether or not the TV can handle a trip utlizing the bracket mount alone.

My plan to eliminate the wiggle is to install rubber bumpers between the wall and the TV to prevent it from wiggleing.

I plan on calling Samsung about this. My gut feeling is they will tell me their sets aren't designed to go bouncing down the road.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After getting rid of the bracket slack, I still had a little movement in the TV. Low and behold, it's the TV case itself that has some give in it.

I had second thoughts about the case weakness, so, I took a second look.

The case dosen't have any play in it. I discovered movement in the top part of the bracket mount.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #12

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
Congrats on a slick installation! I'm wondering about the caution against horizontal positioning of an LCD set if removed and placed on the bed for travel? There are a LOT of LCD and Plasma sets that ride horizontally in the ceiling and swing down for viewing. Hmmmm....wonder if trouble is down the line for that type of installation?
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flytyer

I picked up the thread when I saw your Gallery Picture float by on a random display. At first I thought it was a picture of a display mounted in a Newmar just like mine, but I see you don't have a Scottsdale ( or apparently a Newmar, for that matter) . Anyway, you have given me some ideas. I am installing a Directv HR10-250 receiver in my rig. I was planning on using a flat panel computer screen (12 Volt operation if possible as the HDVR will use 110V). The HDVR has a Dual "off-air HD tuner as well as a dual satlellite receiver. I have been trying out the receiver and it is great! Just like at home.

One small problem, though, I have just a single coax to the cable jack in back. Has anyone tried "pulling in" a second coax so they can get Dual tuner capability? Right now for testing, I either use just one tuner or I run the second coax through a window. It would be nice to have a double jack in the back.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Although it's only a 15-inch, we've been carrying our LCD tv while traveling under our bed wrapped in a blanket for the last 3 years without any trouble. Also, laptop computers all have LCD screens and when the display is closed they lie flat all the time. I'm not sure who heard that lying them flat will cause damage, but one of the main reasons LCD screens became so popular was their ruggedness and longevity. Quite possibly the person that heard this was mistaken and heard about Plazma screens and didn't realize it. Plazma screens are indeed very particular and easily damaged. Although their are ruggedized Plazma models that are being installed in higher end motorhomes that also lie flat when folded up against the ceiling.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote