Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #1

My 1998 coach came with a 19" CRT (cathode ray tube) TV. You know, the "old" kind of TV. Recently, I decided to upgrade to a 32" HDTV. Now, what to do?

Do I have a cabinet maker totally rebuild my front cabinets. The TV cabinet is flanked by a cabinet on each side. Whoa!! Big money there. If I was a woodworker with a shop I might tackle the project myself. But I'm a fulltime RVer . . . no shop and very few tools.

So, my Service Manager (I'm webmaster at an RV dealer during winter months) and I put our heads together and we came up with a solution that works for me.

Bob, our carpentry prone RV Tech, would refabricate the TV cabinet bezel to hold a 20 lb fully articulating TV mount and my 31 lb Sony Bravia HDTV.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #2

My 1998 coach came with a 19" CRT (cathode ray tube) TV. You know, the "old" kind of TV. Recently, I decided to upgrade to a 32" HDTV. Now, what to do?

Do I have a cabinet maker totally rebuild my front cabinets. The TV cabinet is flanked by a cabinet on each side. Whoa!! Big money there. If I was a woodworker with a shop I might tackle the project myself. But I'm a fulltime RVer . . . no shop and very few tools.

So, my Service Manager (I'm webmaster at an RV dealer during winter months) and I put our heads together and we came up with a solution that works for me.

Bob, our carpentry prone RV Tech, would refabricate the TV cabinet bezel to hold a 20 lb fully articulating TV mount and my 31 lb Sony Bravia HDTV.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #3

Lew,
I assume the straps are due to the articulating mount. How are the straps mounted to hold the tv secure? Are the buckles plastic, or is there a risk of scratching the face of the tv?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Lew,

The setup looks great.

When I first looked at the pics I could swear that you were in my coach. Our cabinets are so similiar. I used the bayonnet bolts I made in my shop. I can make you a pair if your interested. Just pull, or insert, two hitch pins and your off and running (or parked)---

Let me know if your interested----A phone call and a few measurments and it'll be done--- and it was "Made In The USA!!"

You would need to remove and replace-- two Phillips head screws on the top, rear of the Sony. The female part of the bayonnet bolts would screw into the new bezel.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

Yes, the straps are for travel only to make sure the articulating mount won't swing open.

The straps are mounted to the plywood via 2 footman loops that are included in the package with the 54" battery strap. The strap slides freely and can even be removed for storage.

We sell them at the dealership store. The package brand is "Powerhouse." We sell the kit (1 strap + 2 footman loops) for $3.99.

When tightened down the straps sit about 1/4" off the screen.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #6

Max,

How and where are your clips used. Do you have pictures?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lew,

Here are the pictures of my install.

Go here
Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #8

I remember seeing your pictures before. I even posted a reply.

the sides of my TV cabinet are covered in a leather like vinyl over foam (soft). So, I can not use your pins. But, thanks for the offer.

Just curious but . . . which Sony did you buy. I bought the 32M4000 720p 32" model.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Lew,

Here is the set I bought. I will use a Blu-Ray 1080p dvd with the Sony. I notice the price has gone up slightly since I bought it. I paid $777

When anyone walks in to the rig they just go -- Wow!!. I also have the Winegard 5 LNB dish (for DirecTv) mounted on the roof.

I advertised and sold the old KVH dome for $250 to the first guy that called me-- He never batted an eye at the price-- for his 5th wheel.I was going to trash it!