Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Hello from a Boat Looper in North Myrtle Beach

Hi,

My wife and I have been sailing and cruising for over 35 years, four of which has been full time aboard our motor vessel. While we are still healthy, we have decided to make the transition to full time in a MH over the next year or so.

We would love to hear from others who have made a similar transition.

After reviewing this and other forums, I'm amazed at the remarkable similarities between water and asphalt. So far it seems like Boondocking its a lot like anchoring and marinas fairly similar to camp grounds. It also appears we share many of the same manufacturers of engines, generators, appliances. As well as some of the malfunctions.

It seems that services, repairs, warranty, may be better for MHs. Our experience on the water is that it has been difficult to find help and when found may require weeks before being scheduled. Towing on the water has been excellent, however.

Sue and I are excited about joining and learning from the iRV2 Forum.

Thanks
Larry and Sue
"Rhapsody"
Albin 45
Rhapsody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 Larry & Sue.

There's a great bunch of people who will help you work through the transition. If you have any particular concerns feel free to post them in the corresponding forums.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Albin 45 - SWEET! I would have loved to have seen that, Albin makes some beautiful boats. And THAT'S the main difference between boating and RV, the are some nice looking RV, but a pretty boat is a work of art - they just so much more graceful looking, but of course they are not confined by height and width, so that makes a big difference.

My wife and I were never liveaboards, but were long time boaters. You are correct in your analogies, the systems are very much the same. Most of what you know about the systems on your boat will transfer to the RV. I assume you had twins on the Albin, so only one engine to maintain on an RV (on the other hand you don't have a get home engine should something go wrong with one). And of course you don't have to worry about the RV sinking if a through-hull or cooling hose breaks.

Welcome, and have fun.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Search the forums you will find many that have done the same thing. Your analogies are pretty much spot on. Good luck!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

We cruised the East coast and NY inland waters, in out trawler, for 10 years, full time for 4 of them and 1/2 time for the rest.

One big difference, we found while cruising, is you get to see some of the same people at many of the same spots along the route, sometimes for multable years. We have made some lifelong friends while boating.

With the huge selections of RV parks and routes to take, you may never see someone again.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

An Albin eh? Good taste in boats. An Albin owner here too. 1986 Albin 27 aft cabin 1986-1999, then a 1996 Albin 32+2, 2000 to present however it has been in dry storage quite some years now since getting the RV.

Just like buying the boat, do the research. You don't want to be buying a mistake. The transition to RVs is easy. Nowhere near the systems of boats & much cheaper than boats. You trade bottom paint for tires.

We have a 5er both for simplicity & price. Our truck can go to any decent small town garage should the need arise. We can rent a car & we still have our home to live in. It does not work that way with a class A or C. If it is in the shop, if one can be found, you have lost your home.

Class A owners often talk about being able to use the head while on the road. Well, I have yet to see a driver get up, go to the head, & return to the drivers seat, while going down the road. Some complain about driving a full sized pickup truck in busy carparks. You know from running a decent sized boat that you can't get up on the sandbar like the little guys. You anchor further out. No biggie.

Whatever type, look for an Albin of the highway. No need for a Grand Banks or Outter Reef but don't touch the Sea Rays & the Regals either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A27 Wreck Bay 99.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	292482   Click image for larger version

Name:	32+2 Charles Is 01.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	292483  

Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Larry & Sue! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

We've never had a boat but I can see the similarities from what you've said. I've also heard that boating is even more expensive than RV'ing. Hope your change goes well.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #8

Thanks Lt. Dan, TonyDi, Tony and Ruth for your comments.

Twin Boat: You're absolutely right about the seeing many of the same folks on the water. We will miss that. Wonder if RVers also exchange Cards?

Podivin: Another big plus with MH appears to be that camp grounds don’t seem to squeeze you a foot away from your neighbor. There have been many times when they have tried to fit our 16’+ beam into a 18’ slip.

Triangle Drifter: Thanks for your perspectives. When we did the great loop, our 2007 boat was considered a “baby” in terms of age. It looks like a 13 year old MH, unless well maintained, might be quite a challenge. Regarding boat quality, you hit the target on the makes to avoid. We’re slowly getting a sense of the range to look for in a MH.

MSHappyCampers: Yes, I think you’re right about higher costs for boating. I’ve heard that there is something of a shortage of camp grounds due to the popularity of RVing but I think marinas have been becoming much more difficult to book without making reservations early or just catching them at the right time.
It looks like camp grounds like marinas have much more reasonable monthly than daily rates. Thanks
Old 07-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #9

At least camp grounds don't charge by the foot or extra for electricity.

Humm, maybe they should.

We rairly used marinas, preferring to moor or anchor out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #10

We do both and share your thoughts re the similarities.
I'd have to say boating is our passion and MHing a way to get away from the winters in the NE.

The process for selecting your " ideal" MH is also similar to boats. Best the think about how you intend to use it. Then write down Musts, wants & dont wants
Have spouse/ SO do the same. Then compare & compromise (do it her way).
Talk to as many RVers as you can. Unlike to ask how they use their rigs and what they like most about it and what they'd change if they could.
Make the search fun... visit campgrounds and walk around looking and talking to people. Most are eager to talk about their rigs and experiences... many will give you a tour. You will get much better info than from a sales person wanting to make a sale.
Consider renting one of the type you think you want if possible. you'll learn a lot.

Good luck w the search and adventures.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody2 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I have been sailing and cruising for over 35 years, four of which has been full time aboard our motor vessel. While we are still healthy, we have decided to make the transition to full time in a MH over the next year or so.

We would love to hear from others who have made a similar transition.

After reviewing this and other forums, I'm amazed at the remarkable similarities between water and asphalt. So far it seems like Boondocking its a lot like anchoring and marinas fairly similar to camp grounds. It also appears we share many of the same manufacturers of engines, generators, appliances. As well as some of the malfunctions.

It seems that services, repairs, warranty, may be better for MHs. Our experience on the water is that it has been difficult to find help and when found may require weeks before being scheduled. Towing on the water has been excellent, however.

Sue and I are excited about joining and learning from the iRV2 Forum.

Thanks
Larry and Sue
"Rhapsody"
Albin 45
Beautiful boat, do you still own her? Do you have pics? Is she for sale? Beth and I just finished 5 years on a Stevens 47 sailboat in the Eastern Caribbean, selling her in Grenada. We then upgraded our motorhome from a 3778 Newmar Mountain Aire gasser to a Monaco Signature Series 45 diesel pusher. As much as we love the motorhome, the lure of the water still calls our name. We miss the sunsets, the ability to drop the hook pretty much wherever we would like without reservations, the gentle roll of the boat and sounds of the water. The motorhome is ok. Driving down a road is not the same as setting your auto pilot on the boat. There are advantages to the MH, grocery stores are everywhere, fuel is almost everywhere, it is easier to escape hurricane season, etc. A MH and a boat are very similar in break downs and equipment, and the service sector is not very different either, some are really good, some not even close. Thank goodness for these forums to research all this out. Like a boat, this nomadic lifestyle is much easier if you are handy around electronics, electric systems and diesel engines. Ideally, a motorhome in the summer in Canada, and a nice boat in Florida for the winter is our goal. Best of luck, and enjoy, life is what you make it.
Megame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #12

Two things I have noticed:

That you can do more sight seeing if you tow a car rather than carry a dinghy.

The guy who helps you park the RV doesn't expect a tip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aweigh.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	292508  
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Two things I have noticed:

That you can do more sight seeing if you tow a car rather than carry a dinghy.

The guy who helps you park the RV doesn't expect a tip.
Good points Ron!
Only thing it's not as easy to fish from your toad?
Not as easy to "drop anchor" almost anywhere!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

WineMaker2: Thanks for your guidance. We do plan to take time visiting as many MHsas we can. The downside of living on a boat full-time is that we haven’t had a car foryears. So, we’ve been been confined to using Uber/Lyft, which has been avoidedsince March (covid). Perhaps later this year and we’ll be able to explore. Good advice- thanks.

Megame: Thanks for all your comments. Rhapsody is not yet for sale. We have been making improvements and recently had the bottom portion of the boat painted, and will have the upper painting scheduled for Spring 2021. We will certainly miss the water. When we’re ready to move to a MH I hsuspect we’ll fall in the same pattern as we did on the boat. That is, find the areas of the country we like, stay for a month or so, then move based on the seasons. We will probably never go back to shoveling snow again!

Here's a recent photo of Rhapsody.

Name:	Rhapsody Photo 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	292520

Tags
myrtle beach