Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #43

We did an 18,000-mile circumnavigation of the U.S. but chose our own route. We cheated a bit and did some of Canada. We have been recently talking about doing the Great Look in the RV since we never finished it on the boat. Here are some photos of our previous "RV"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	EX Beach House at Warderick Wells.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	292984

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Trek Cropped.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	292985
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #44

Hit_the_Rhod: I hear you. When we first started to prepare our home, I had a two car garage with one side containing a full woodworking shop and the other side a 24' launch hull that had taken me about six years to complete. In the home itself we had 30 years of accumulation. Eventually, rather than store the hull I found a boat builder who purchased the boat for completion. We also decided not to store furniture and other possessions and found an estate seller who set up a sale and everything not sold was donated. I can't tell you what a relief it was having to worry about packing/storing stuff.
Rhapsody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #45

777 Driver: Thanks for some good ideas. There were areas of the loop that we never had a chance to visit or slow down for. For example, we missed going up the Potomac and DC. With greater flexibility of a MH it looks like we would have many more opportunities to explore.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #46

Our partial loop on the tug was from Pickwick Landing, TN to Mobile to NYC but we never did the Great Lakes part. So in 2018 we drove our MH to see the Big Chute Marine Railway in Canada. Fortunately we got to see it in action.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #47

I was a live-aboard boater for 10 years with my DW. We had a 42' twin diesel Albin, circa 1983. So... for those that dream of boating... one reality is in a saltwater environment, you have to wash the boat once a week. So, with the Albin, that's 42' X 2 plus the upper deck. Lotta work, every week just for that! The engines were actually pretty easy to work on because of a fairly spacious engine room. Did all my own work and only once did I have to have a mechanic. Then my father-in-law bought a 49' GB and he quickly realized he could not steer the boat, navigate, or back into a slip, just to name a few things. So I was drafted. This time it was 49' X 2; 2 decks... every week. Another thing folks are not hitting on is diesel fuel tankage. My Albin carried over 500 gallons of diesel; the GB 49 carried 1200 gallons of fuel. The Albin burned roughly 8 gallons per hour and the GB 49 about 15 gallons per hour. In nautical miles, the Albin was at about 8 knots so 8 miles IF the current and tide was in your favor. Often it was not. The GB was at maybe the same 8 knots but 15 gallons per hour. So both had a practical cruising range of 380 or so nautical miles. I made at least 4 trips across the Gulf of Mexico to Isla Mujeres, Veracruz, and Isla Lobos. However, there are no gas stations in the middle of the Gulf! Boating, without question, is more expensive than owning a MH. They have to be waxed once a year and they also have to be pulled out of the water to have a bottom job and fresh bottom paint. NOT cheap! Fiberglass boats get blisters, a hugely HUGE expense that you don't want! That's why I would only buy a steel boat if I ever did it again. With steel, just slap paint on! Did I mention that many fiberglass boats have to be painted if the gel coat gets faded? That happened to me. Painting a boat is also hugely expensive with specialized paint, sanding, prepping... ouch. I paid about $320 a month for slip rental but I had a deal where I could live aboard. In my last year, they decided to charge for live aboard so that got a bit more expensive. Finally, hurricanes. We went through several tropical storms and one storm that should have been a hurricane. We stayed aboard for all of them. But it was mentally wearing each year to watch the hurricanes. Got old fast. Hurricane Ike hit Galveston about a year after I sold my boat. Many friends there lost their boats in the storm and the marina and yacht repair facility never did recover. Glad I wasn't there to witness it.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:30 PM   #48

Welcome

There us no rule you can not do both. Walla Walla Yacht Club has has a campground. Had no idea that the Governor of the Free Republic Washington would decree that I could go sailing but not sleep in my MH.

There is no reason you have to make it expensive. I had no idea more than 30 years when I bought my Islander 28 I was investing in lead.

There are infinite number of places to drop hook or boondock.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:17 AM   #49

RonLC: We loved going through the Big Chute. For those unfamiliar, it is a area in Canada where boats are lifted on slings and transported on rails over land. Its a surreal experience. YouTube provides some nice footage. Thanks for bringing up a great memory.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:27 AM   #50

tommar: Yes, boats do take a lot of continuous work. Of course living aboard certainly makes it a little easier to keep up. Now that we have completed the loop we tend to travel between Ft. Myers and North Myrtle Beach. Monthly marina fees range from appproximately 1300 to 600, respectively. Our Albin holds 800 gal of diesel and consumes about 1.5 gallons per mile at 7-8 knots. We can almost see the fuel gauge lower at 12-14 knots. When we started the loop in 2018 prices were between $3-4 per gallon. Recently we passed a marina that posted 1.44/gal. But, as others have noted, fuel is actually the least of the costs associated with boating.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody2 View Post
tommar: Yes, boats do take a lot of continuous work. Of course living aboard certainly makes it a little easier to keep up. Now that we have completed the loop we tend to travel between Ft. Myers and North Myrtle Beach. Monthly marina fees range from appproximately 1300 to 600, respectively. Our Albin holds 800 gal of diesel and consumes about 1.5 gallons per mile at 7-8 knots. We can almost see the fuel gauge lower at 12-14 knots. When we started the loop in 2018 prices were between $3-4 per gallon. Recently we passed a marina that posted 1.44/gal. But, as others have noted, fuel is actually the least of the costs associated with boating.
With fuel at $4 a gallon and needing 900 gallons worth, fuel wasn't exactly the least of all costs associated with boating especially with a 380 mile or so range. Of course, in the Covid era, fuel is a lot cheaper now but for how long?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #52

tommar: Didn't mean to give the impression that fuel costs were insignificant. Its just that with marina costs, repairs, new electronics and maintenance, diesel was less of an issue than we expected when we began the loop. Of course, diesel was extremely pricey when we passed through Canada in 2018. Best regards.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #53

Another former boater

Amazing thread, had no idea there were so many of us. We sailed and lived aboard our 31 ft sail boat for 15 years during which we cruised from San Francisco to the east coast. Spent most of our time working snow bird season in Miami and cruising the Bahama islands the rest of the year. Finally needed a change, sold the boat and bought a 27 fi travel trailer. Spent the next 3 years land cruising the lower 48 and Alaska. Got old and settled into a condo. Now I’m ready to go again so just purchased a 20 ft travel trailer and will be spending summer anywhere but Hot Arizona.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #54

Wife and I cruised full time aboard a Brewer 42 for 3 years...'06-'07-'08. We totally refit the Brewer ourselves and remain as self sufficient as possible with a 1 ton truck and 5th wheel.

The economic downturn forced us to go aground. After getting our business on solid ground again, we purchased a lot in 2016 on a river in Florida and a 5th wheel to spend winters bay fishing aboard a 20' BlueWave bay boat. Took our first extended trip to AZ last year and hope to do the Utah Mighty Five beginning mid September.

While we do miss waking up while anchored out or anchoring in a secluded bay, I prefer RVing. Soooo much more to see and do. But we now have the best of 3 worlds, RVing in the fall, bay fishing during the winter and live in the NC mountains during the spring & summer. Life Is Good!

Old 07-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would rather go boating, but it's too weather dependent. Still try to get out on the boat when we can, but more extensive travel has to be in the RV,
fantasyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #56

Boating and RVing about the same in many ways. My wife wanted more time on land and we sold the boat. Both wish we kept the boat and did less on land. Different strokes.

Tags
myrtle beach