Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

HELP!!

Hi all,
Haven't been on here in awhile and now we have a newer RV through trade. About a month ago, we traded up and now have a 2013 Fleetwood Excursion 35C diesel. Nice RV with only 11,000+ miles!! Problems...
1. Just came home from the track (we drag race). Went racing only 2 hours from home all day Saturday, no problems. Spent the night at our favorite Loves truck stop then drove 1.5 hours home. Get out of RV and my husband goes ballistic!!! Sprewed oil is all over the back of RV and the front of our racing trailer!!! No warning lights went off for any problems, just a normal ride home. Any thoughts...
2. Can somebody please tell us how to turn off 5 ceiling lights that are in the kitchen area!! For the life of us we cannot find a light switch, no info in owners manual...nothing. These lights are on 24/7! The only way to turn them out is to hit the auxiliary switch but then the generator is off and can't come back on... frustrated but still LOVE our Excursion!
Fwillharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
1) The oil might be from the slobber tube. Diesels don't ingest and burn the smoke from the crankcase like gasses do with their pcv system, they overboard it thru the slobber tube. This slobber tube will puke a lot of oil if the engine is overfilled with oil. There are catch systems you can rig to catch this smoke and it's fine oil using a big plastic jar, a hose clamp and shop rags.
2) On my rig each light has its own switch to turn it off, but they all go on and off with one switch on them wall by the entry door. Your switch may be broke in ththe on position. Do you have any switches by the entry door that don't seem to do anything. That guy may be your culprit. Or you can wear really dark sunglasses.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #3

Tony

Hi Tony,
After I thank you for your response, I will go look at the light center right at the entry way again and retry them again.
Husband is gonna take RV back to place!! He is so mad because we have a big race to go to over Labor Day!! Hoping what you say about that tube you wrote about is all that's wrong!
Thank you!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwillharris View Post
Hi all,
Haven't been on here in awhile and now we have a newer RV through trade. About a month ago, we traded up and now have a 2013 Fleetwood Excursion 35C diesel. Nice RV with only 11,000+ miles!! Problems...
1. Just came home from the track (we drag race). Went racing only 2 hours from home all day Saturday, no problems. Spent the night at our favorite Loves truck stop then drove 1.5 hours home. Get out of RV and my husband goes ballistic!!! Sprewed oil is all over the back of RV and the front of our racing trailer!!! No warning lights went off for any problems, just a normal ride home. Any thoughts...
2. Can somebody please tell us how to turn off 5 ceiling lights that are in the kitchen area!! For the life of us we cannot find a light switch, no info in owners manual...nothing. These lights are on 24/7! The only way to turn them out is to hit the auxiliary switch but then the generator is off and can't come back on... frustrated but still LOVE our Excursion!

Well,
First off, based on a tad bit of history here, I'm presupposing you have a Cummins engine. Especially since Caterpiller pulled out of the "OTR" (Over the road) engine supply a few years before your model/year coach. This is all kind of an educated guess. Anyway, if you have the Cummins like I suspect, Cummins, especially in '13, should have ZERO problems with what's called "Blow-by" or, otherwise known as crank case pressure. Your husband will know exactly what I'm speaking of.

The blow-by is typically the result of too much oil in the engine. And, as stated, most of your later model year diesel producers, have taken care of all that stuff that was a problem in the earlier years of trucks, motorhomes, etc. And, normally, if it's a blow-by problem, it's not normally on the back of the coach. It's spit onto the toad front end and, even more specific, it's concentrated on the toad side/middle/other side where the blow-by tube exits.

As has been stated, there are gadgets out there that have been devised over the last few years, to help oleviate that issue, IF, THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!

Some analyzing of this situation is definitely in the close future, before someone goes all Clint Eastwood and walks into the RV shop and asks the tech: " Well, do ya feel lucky"?

As for your lights, well, yeah there's a switch and, it's potentially possible that it, wherever it is, is stuck in the ON position. Just a guess on that one. No motor home, especially in the Fleetwood family, builds a coach, again, especially an EXCURSION with lights that are not switchable The switch is there, why it seems to be so camouflaged is unknown. If and when you find it, please post back so that, in the event others have the same coach with the same problem, they may be edumacated.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Hope you get your problems solved. Sorry I'm not familiar with that unit. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can't find the switch and want the power on, why not just take the bulbs out of the lights in question?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

Hi again!

Well...my husband took the RV back at opening and after an hour or so they came and told him that the sprewed oil and Diesel fuel come from the fuel filter line. They said they were going to go get the part and so he waited. At 4pm the lady comes and tells him that they couldn't get the part yet!! I drove 45 minutes from work to go get him. Surprisingly, he was not so angry...he says it's just part for the course.

As for the 5 ceiling lights, the tech found 3 switches in a bottom side wall that controls those lights and the little electric circulate fan in the ceiling! Thank you ALL for your words of wisdom and comedy. I am proud of my husband s demeaner today! Love this website and you all!!!