Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the same chassis and motor. Temps will run from 180 to 215. You'll hear the fan kick on higher and the temp will go down or you'll notice the temp going down. That's normal.

When hill climbing, keep the tranny in normal mode (Economy off, red light off) and try to maintain engine RPM's in the power band of 1500-1800 RPMs. I'm usually climbing hills in 4th or 5th. Manual shift as needed and even down to 3rd if needed. Engine temp variation is norm.. It does seem to be temp sensitive to load demand. Freightliner, Cummins, RV dealers, etc all say this is normal.

Don't let the motor temp get past 220. Slow down and shift down as needed. If you are running at its max, then that's all she'll do.

After some time, you'll get the feel for what she'll do and be able to maximize without running too hot.

Also, when hill climbing, drive the tach not the odometer. Don't over stress the unit.

Maintain the unit in the power band for the given motor since the power band is different for different motors.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #16

I basically got the same driving advice from two shops, except since I was over heating at 1800 RPM they recommened I run at 2000 RPM (The computer won't let you go past 2100) The execption is the radiator fan is directly porpotional to the engine speed. My fan is hydrolicly drivin directly from a pump on the engine. I have verified fan speed increases with engine speed.

The picture linked to below is the sand and straw I blew out after removing the inter-cooler. This pile of debris does not include what I blew out before removing the inter-cooler or washed out with the hi pressure washer. This is 12 oz! I conservatively estimate this as half of what I got out.

I'm going to install a screen below the radiator to deflect debris kicked up by the tires.

Smilebox Playback

I'll post my next driving results .... looks VERY promising!
fgiesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
My Winnebago Vectra Cat Diesel with rear rad, air flow was from motor out rear of RV I used simple green on motor side by lifting bed. Let sit 10 minutes, then flush both sides, more from back to front. That works great. Temp ran about 190 on long pulls with Jeep in tow 4 down. Leave engine dash air condition off it helps take load off diesel on long hard pulls.
good luck on your cleaning
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
We had problems with our 330 cat. Make sure the crankcase vent extends out the back of the coach; On contery what the belief is the fan sucks the air from under the coach and pushes it out the rear. If the vent is not out the rear the fan will pickup the oil mist and push it into the intercooler and the radiator, Dirt mixes into it plugging in up; I open the back/raising the bed spraying it with engine degreasser After it has soked I cover the opening with vesquaine cut a small hole in it put my arm with the Mozzel hose in and clean it clean enough so I could eat off it. If you don't extend the breather it will block in time That venture because I knew better cost me $3200.00 Now I listen, And keep it clean.Life Is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote