Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Think I'll build me a nail strip to go on top of the door awning with a pole down so I can set up and take it down easily. Today found they roosted on the passenger mirror last night so will probably add an arm with flapping plastic to discourage them.

To solve this problem permanently I think I'll have my RV garage built. Was holding off due to the expense but need to protect my girl and keep her looking nice.

Thanks again. Drive safe - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #16

The hardware store has carpet tack strips if you want to go the spike route.

The WSDOT puts long wires pointed vertically on top of light standards and other things they don't want seagulls sitting on.

I have many pictures of starlings and doves lined up on the heads and wings of fake owls. I got a roadrunner sitting on one too. I didn't know they flew that high. Those decoys only provide more sitting space. Something that does work is putting spinner wings on an owl like on motorized duck decoys have on them. Set them to spin every few minutes.

My daughter uses pinwheels and builds birdhouses.

I had a springer spaniel that wouldn't let a bird within shooting distance of the house. He spent his days bumping into things because he patrolled the yard with his head up watching high flying swallows. He knew one would land someday, and he was determined to be there to take it apart.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #17

For your problem I would cut a 2x4, possibly 2x6, depends on what fits the best, at a 30* angle along it's length to match the awning length. The board would lean up against the coach at 60* and will take away the convenient flat spot where they roost.
You could drill a sizeable hole in the center so it will be easy to use a pole to set it up, or remove.
If you forget it, it will just be a board on the ground, no nails to run over.

I've done this in my open shed to take away all the convenient nesting places.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #18

Speaking of bird crap, on my way to the donut shop this morning,(OK, flame me for that) I noticed a neighbors pick-up that really had a bad mess of bird crap down the side of the door. Looked like one of those situations where a bird roosted on the mirror, spent a lot of time flying up against the glass looking at itself and crapping down the side of the door.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
There are wire things with the wires standing up that I have seen mounted on ledges in travel areas, etc. A neighbor put some on the edge of her awning but we are no where near her so cannot ask where she got them.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There are wire things with the wires standing up that I have seen mounted on ledges in travel areas, etc. .
Those things are called bird spikes & can be bought at places like TSC, Quality Farm & Fleet or on Amazon. Just type bird spikes in Amazon's search box. But like I said, I made my own with leftover lumber pieces & nails.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Speaking of bird crap, on my way to the donut shop this morning,(OK, flame me for that) I noticed a neighbors pick-up that really had a bad mess of bird crap down the side of the door. Looked like one of those situations where a bird roosted on the mirror, spent a lot of time flying up against the glass looking at itself and crapping down the side of the door.
We have a really macho junco back for a second year of daily battle with that impossibly handsome and equally fierce junco that lives in my sister's right-side mirror. That side of the car looks like a chicken roost. He goes at it so hard that sometimes he falls to the ground stunned and panting. But he's determined to defend his territory against all intruders, real or imaginary, day in and day out. He even returned this year to revive the war. I'd think the constant beating he inflicts on himself would eventually become a deterrent, but he reacts more to his birdy ideology than common sense. And why shouldn't he? His defense has been successful so far.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #22

Just a heads up for those who remove the nests - It is usually a violation of federal law. If I were you, If you do remove them, I would suggest not advertising the fact.

See https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/p...irdNestsR8.pdf

"Most bird nests are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). This law says: “No person may take (kill), possess, import,export, transport, sell, purchase,barter, or offer for sale, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such bird except as may be permitted under the terms of a valid permit...”Under the MBTA it is illegal to destroy a nest that has eggs or chicks in it or if there are young birds that are still dependent on the nest for survival. It is also illegal for anyone to keep a nest they take out of a tree or find on the ground unless they have a permit issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS"

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rodekyll

When we had the ranch I actually a robin fly into my closed bedroom triple pane window so hard that he shattered the outside pane and cracked the middle pane. He didn't die, he was back the next day slamming into it again and again as he saw his reflection. Replaced window with one that was tinted to where he could see himself.

I'm working on what I'm going to do with my DP. Boards won't work but maybe the carpet tack strip will. Plus adding a pole with metal hanger wire out over awning and another over top of mirror with plastic strips to flap.

Thanks again to everyone posting - Richard
Old 04-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If they're robins (the ones pooping on my coach) or any indigenous bird , they aren't migratory so that law doesn't apply.

Lori-
Old 04-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Note that law only applies to migratory birds. The sparrows that were pooping on my coach are not migratory birds. So when it's a me vs them....them is gonna lose.

Lori-
Old 04-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #26

Is it possible to light up the area at night. That will keep them from roosting.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
rodekyll

When we had the ranch I actually a robin fly into my closed bedroom triple pane window so hard that he shattered the outside pane and cracked the middle pane. He didn't die, he was back the next day slamming into it again and again as he saw his reflection. Replaced window with one that was tinted to where he could see himself.

I'm working on what I'm going to do with my DP. Boards won't work but maybe the carpet tack strip will. Plus adding a pole with metal hanger wire out over awning and another over top of mirror with plastic strips to flap.

Thanks again to everyone posting - Richard

Maybe a mirror or two set at different angles would make it look like somebody else already lives there.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Note that law only applies to migratory birds. The sparrows that were pooping on my coach are not migratory birds. So when it's a me vs them....them is gonna lose.

Lori-

House Sparrows are neither migratory nor native, They are absolutely not protected. Many (myself included) believe that the best treatment is to eliminate them in whatever way possible. Reducing their numbers will help to restore our populations of Bluebirds and several other species of cavity nesting birds. I use one of these: https://www.sparrowtraps.net/

However, there are 34 other species of Sparrows in the U.S., that are native. Most of them are migratory in at least part of the country, and as such, they are protected.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote