Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
HELP !!! Crossfire

We had new tires installed yesterday and the truck center that did it was unhappy with the Crossfire system. They said it took them 45 extra minutes to get the system off. Consequently they did not reinstall the wheel cover which the Crossfire gauge is mounted on. I have spent a while this morning attempting to do it but I just cannot get the line connected to the inner wheel.

Someone must have a trick to getting these on ???

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #2

I understand the tire shop, but they should have installed it while they were mounting the duals, one at a time. NOW, the only way I have been successful is removing the hose from the crossfire(2 tiny screws and a keeper plate) and then turning the whole hose onto the fitting. That just starts it, I bent the head of a 1/2 inch open end wrench to complete the install. It is a royal pain doing it this way.Yes you will lose air pressure and have to reinflate. I support the wheels with the coach jack while doing this. To install the wheel cover reattach the hose you took off after it is mounted.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
So you are suggesting that I remove the 2 Phillips head screws ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_115434.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	160463  

Old 05-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

I agree with Bob. The tire shop should have hooked it up while mounting the duals. Yes remove the two small screws and the keeper plate and the hose will pull out. Don't lose the rubber washer. You can then turn the entire hose to screw it on to the inner dual. Or if you have the capability you can pull the outer dual and hook it up that way.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree they should have put them on but ....... They close at 5 PM. He said that it was likely he'd be there until 6 which worked fine for my schedule. I got there at 6 and he belly ached about the amount of time it took to get them off and at 6 PM they still had the front tires to go. At that point I knew between the tires and paying I was in for another hour. I told them to forget it not knowing exactly what I was getting into. I just wanted to get home before today.

Basically they were not replaced because of my desire to get home. I'd like to blame them but I won't.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced one of my Crossfire's. Found the best way to connect to the inner tire was to move the vehicle until the valve was near the bottom. As I am right-handed, I had to approach the right tire from the front so I could use that hand to reach between the dualies and connect to the valve. Also tightened with a wrench once connected. That worked for me. You will find it is a simple job if you get the valve positioned where you can easily reach and work on it. Good luck!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll try that but to this point, and the valve is at the top, I have found very little room to maneuver in there. I've been able to get the braided line on the valve and get it started but couldn't get any wrench in there to physically tighten it so there is no air loss. What did you use for a wrench ?

Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used valve cap to size the correct one from my wrench set. You don't want to use an adjustable wrench. Think you will find a world of difference with the valve at the bottom. Try reaching in and seeing where you can easily work and then move the coach to position the valve where you want it.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Current I have the braided line to the inner tire removed from the gauge itself. Did you do the connection with the line connected to the gauge/wheel liner or was your line disconnected ?

The way I am now I will likely lose all the air pressure in my inner tire. That isn't the end of the world but if I can avoid that issue, I'd like to.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did it with the line connected to the unit. No need to disconnect. Be sure to route the air line thru the holes in the hub before you install so it wont bounce and cause other issues around as you travel. I lost very little air as it was connecting. Remember to get your arm in there to determine where you want the valve before you move coach. Once you have the line routed and the valve in the right position, you should be done in 10 minutes. Good luck - it is easier than it sounds!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well it was no 10 minutes but I now have 1 of them on. The other one will be tomorrow's project. Been raining here for ever a week and likely a week to go. We even had snow flakes ???

The insides were still a challenge. If the valve stems were just an inch longer it would have been a simple job. Getting it on tight was a real job. Pressure is down to 62 LBS and my little compressor doesn't have enough pressure to add more air. Found a tire facility close by who will allow me to air up there.

Tags
fire