Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Help! My Door is Falling Off

In order to remove the livingroom sofa/bed from the RV, I had to completely take the side door off.

Here is a photo of the screws that held the door on. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516_164935.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	285632 I am amazed that such short screws held the door in good to the frame.

There were a total of 6 hinges going the length of the door with each hinge having 3 of these screws.
Attachment 285635Attachment 285636

I reinstalled the screws into the hinges and they do not screw nicely in the holes onto the frame. Every single one of them spins in place loosely.

I tried replacing all the screws but unfortunately with the same results.

I went back to the hardware store and bought the same size screws (#8) but longer. I also purchased the next size up (#10) that are the same length. I have not tried installing either of these new screws yet. Am I doomed because of a different issue than getting the right screws? Do I need a special type of screw? Should I suspect the frame?

Because of the loose screws, my door hangs off-kilter & will not shut.

Help!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are those going into wood or metal?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Are those going into wood or metal?
I actually do not know. The frame is metal but I do not know what is inside of it.

Because the end of some of the screws look to have rust, can we possibly assume metal?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #4

Try a couple of pop rivets.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #5

Use the original length but #10
Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #6

Stick a toothpick in the screw hole and break it off flush. Insert screw and tighten by hand. Try not to over torque.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #7

18 short little screws combine to hold a lot of weight.

Probe the holes to see how deep they are. Then if possible, I'd try the same #8 sheet metal screw, one step longer to start. The combination of fresh thread and being well onto the shank instead of possibly the point could work.

Otherwise, a #10 but one size longer would be my choice, assuming a #10 goes through the hinge and the head doesn't interfere with the door closing.

Depending on how hogged out the holes are, try to stay with #8 when possible. That gives you somewhere to move next time this happens.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #8

I wish I had good news, but I don't. There is/was a backing plate inside the frame. They have now slid out of place (on the bottom)of the frame. When I did this last year, it was an oops moment
I was adamant I was not going to open the wall to fix/find and remount the plates. I ended up using 1/4 inch rivets to mount everything again. It is as strong as it was I think. Haven't had any issues with it.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz57 View Post
I wish I had good news, but I don't. There is/was a backing plate inside the frame. They have now slid out of place (on the bottom)of the frame. When I did this last year, it was an oops moment

I was adamant I was not going to open the wall to fix/find and remount the plates. I ended up using 1/4 inch rivets to mount everything again. It is as strong as it was I think. Haven't had any issues with it.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense.
Guess I'll be opening up the wall there sooner than planned!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

Or a match stick. My dad taught me that in the 40s. Did it a couple months ago on mirror still holding good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennabbott1 View Post
Stick a toothpick in the screw hole and break it off flush. Insert screw and tighten by hand. Try not to over torque.
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 AM   #11

Look carefully, think about it! It isn't an easy job. Wait, maybe someone has a better idea. I speak for the fleetwood way of assembling things.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:42 AM   #12

Maybe cut an access hole in the door frame and "fish" the backing plate up into position. If it fell freely, you might be able to "walk" it back up. How far could it have fallen?
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz57 View Post
Were your screws self-tapping like the OP's are? I wouldn't think there would be a backing plate that used self-tapping screws.

But yeah, if I remove a non-self-tapper I hope I remember your info.

Thanks for sharing that,

Ray
Old 05-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Maybe cut an access hole in the door frame and "fish" the backing plate up into position. If it fell freely, you might be able to "walk" it back up. How far could it have fallen?
I believe the backing plates did fall down. It makes sense now because when I removed the screws I recall hearing what sounded like hardware dropping to the ground. I checked the ground and found nothing so I wrote it off that I was hearing things. I guess I wasn't!

Tags
door