Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #15

Today, after purchasing a mirror, I was easily able to pinpoint the leak. It's what appears to be a freeze plug on the back side of the head below the threaded plug in the picture below. The plug itself does not appear to be in bad shape, so I'm thinking perhaps I may be able to clean the area well and seal the recessed plug with JB Weld. My shop is several states away, leaving me with limited tools etc to work with here. A few years ago, I used the JB Weld to seal up the leaking factory (know to warp and leak) exhaust manifold. The stuff held up for a couple of years until I was able to locate the newest release from CUMMINS, which is a split manifold to avoid the warping and leaking issues. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221221_144953.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	383114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221221_145540.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	383115  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Best to do it when your engine is at least warm. Clean it good with a wire brush and alcohol. Let any pressure out of the cooling system by taking the rad cap off. Put the cap back on and apply the JB Weld while the engine is cooling. That way the cooling system should be in a vacuum rather than a pressure state, and the JB Weld will seal up the leak for now.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Today, after purchasing a mirror, I was easily able to pinpoint the leak. It's what appears to be a freeze plug on the back side of the head below the threaded plug in the picture below. The plug itself does not appear to be in bad shape, so I'm thinking perhaps I may be able to clean the area well and seal the recessed plug with JB Weld. My shop is several states away, leaving me with limited tools etc to work with here. A few years ago, I used the JB Weld to seal up the leaking factory (know to warp and leak) exhaust manifold. The stuff held up for a couple of years until I was able to locate the newest release from CUMMINS, which is a split manifold to avoid the warping and leaking issues. Thoughts?
Hello sir and sorry for your issues. Putting JB weld on this it will never hold, due to vibration and the heat and cold cycle of your engine. If this is just a temporary fix then I apologize in advance and it may get you by for the immediate future but probably not a good idea. Good luck and safe travels
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello sir and sorry for your issues. Putting JB weld on this it will never hold, due to vibration and the heat and cold cycle of your engine. If this is just a temporary fix then I apologize in advance and it may get you by for the immediate future but probably not a good idea. Good luck and safe travels
In thinking about it, the repair is for a 1300 mile return trip. The JB might be more of a pain to remove for the permanent repair fix than it's worth. The freeze plug is small and despite it being a job which requires a mirror to address, I might be able to fix it here. But first, I'm going to ask a freightliner shop how much they might charge..ouch.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:06 AM   #19

I had a freeze plug with a major leak right on my RV pad in 2012 December. When I was exercising my motorhome engine in the winter. Lucky I was home, because it poured out quick. I ran back into the RV and shut it down fast. Not alarms yet, I lost about 7-8 gallons of antifreeze on my pad. Lucky me I was not the road or actually on the highway. My engine would have blown.

My diesel mechanic came over to my house, he drilled out the freeze plug and hammered a new one in. All at my house. It took about an hour to two total I put the antifreeze back in and I was good to go. The freeze plug we bought at NAPA. I think it was about an inch round. Cost me $2 for the plug. The mechanic charged me for 2 hours work. I think $200-300. I can’t remember.
Thi was in my 400ISL in my 2007 Ellipse
We figured the 400 ISL sat for about a year because it was a engine that Winnebago kept in the 2007 models because the new changes in the ISL. What I was told that most of these 400 ISLs sat for about a yr before they put them on the chassis by Freightliner.

BTW I’ve been up to Sodus camping at Cherry Grove CG in Walcott many yrs ago.
Here is my old video
https://youtu.be/10EF7exUriE
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan,
Re-read post #2.
Especially the part about NAPA having RUBBER PLUGS.
I have 2 in my 1940 Buick strt 8, and they have been there for over 4 years.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Dan,
Re-read post #2.
Especially the part about NAPA having RUBBER PLUGS.
I have 2 in my 1940 Buick strt 8, and they have been there for over 4 years.

Mike in Colorado
Mike, I'm going to stop at Freightliner to get an estimate, but also think about doing it myself. The rubber plug has crossed my mind because they will probably not need to be a perfect install to stop the leak ie they are flexible. Given I cannot see what I'm doing, this might be the best method.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I had a freeze plug with a major leak right on my RV pad in 2012 December. When I was exercising my motorhome engine in the winter. Lucky I was home, because it poured out quick. I ran back into the RV and shut it down fast. Not alarms yet, I lost about 7-8 gallons of antifreeze on my pad. Lucky me I was not the road or actually on the highway. My engine would have blown.

My diesel mechanic came over to my house, he drilled out the freeze plug and hammered a new one in. All at my house. It took about an hour to two total I put the antifreeze back in and I was good to go. The freeze plug we bought at NAPA. I think it was about an inch round. Cost me $2 for the plug. The mechanic charged me for 2 hours work. I think $200-300. I can’t remember.
Thi was in my 400ISL in my 2007 Ellipse
We figured the 400 ISL sat for about a year because it was a engine that Winnebago kept in the 2007 models because the new changes in the ISL. What I was told that most of these 400 ISLs sat for about a yr before they put them on the chassis by Freightliner.

BTW I’ve been up to Sodus camping at Cherry Grove CG in Walcott many yrs ago.
Here is my old video
https://youtu.be/10EF7exUriE
I know exactly where that place is, in fact, there was a great 50s style drive-in very close to it. Everything from iced cream to fried clams at a reasonable price. The owners retired, and like so many family businesses, the kids and grandkids wanted nothing to do with it. So, it closed.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:09 PM   #23

Spoke with Freightliner this afternoon. They do not wish to do the job, but rather, referred me to a different service center an hour or so away. My thought at this point is to clean the area with my dremel tool with the wire brush attachment and if it seems solid enough to temporarily patch with JB, that is what I shall do. I may also apply a cloth and resin patch over the top of the JB on the surface of the head. Despite the additional work of cleaning it back off for the permanent repair, depending upon what I see after the cleaning, I would bet this will suffice. In the meantime, I'm going to precisely measure that hole with my calipers, and obtain a rubber plug replacement. Sometimes I change my mind
Old 12-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP,
When you get her home and do the job right, DO NOT bugger up the bore of the hole. These are bored at the factory with a low feed rate and the surface is very smooth. The plug is made of C-1008 carbon steel and it is soft enough to deform and seal the bore.
If you start scraping the bore with anything stronger than a wire brush, the plug will not seal.
Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this job. Watch a bunch before you dive in.

Good Luck and let us know how the job went. It's not rocket science and think how proud the DW will be when you're done. Plus, you saved a bunch of beer money.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
OP,
When you get her home and do the job right, DO NOT bugger up the bore of the hole. These are bored at the factory with a low feed rate and the surface is very smooth. The plug is made of C-1008 carbon steel and it is soft enough to deform and seal the bore.
If you start scraping the bore with anything stronger than a wire brush, the plug will not seal.
Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this job. Watch a bunch before you dive in.

Good Luck and let us know how the job went. It's not rocket science and think how proud the DW will be when you're done. Plus, you saved a bunch of beer money.

Mike in Colorado
I totally agree! This would not even be on my ??? list if I were at my shop. Many more difficult jobs have been performed there on the old girl (motorhome )
Old 12-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #26

Use brass freeze plugs if available. Weld up washers for the head of a tool and I use 1/2 square solid rod that is easily bent as my shaft for a custom installer tool. If you cock a plug hammering it in , toss it. They can blow out if deformed even a little bit. Had a boss eat a motor over one. Don't be afraid to drill a hole it the floor or inner fender to insert a tool. Plugging it afterwards is pretty simple.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Use brass freeze plugs if available. Weld up washers for the head of a tool and I use 1/2 square solid rod that is easily bent as my shaft for a custom installer tool. If you cock a plug hammering it in , toss it. They can blow out if deformed even a little bit. Had a boss eat a motor over one. Don't be afraid to drill a hole it the floor or inner fender to insert a tool. Plugging it afterwards is pretty simple.
Thanks for the tip, shootist. Unfortunately, there is no way to drill or cut in order to gain better access. This will all be by mirror and by feel.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #28

The key to JB Weld working long term is preparation. Clean the surface/s thoroughly then use some acetone and wipe the surface. Mix equal amounts of JB Weld and apply to surface/s. Then allow to dry for 15+ hours before returning to service.

JB Weld will have no issue breaking down with hot/cold cycles and/or chemicals such as coolant, oil, fuel etc. Just be sure it has dried 15+ hours prior to return to service.

I use it on lead casting plugs on Weber/Dell carbs and works very well.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, leak