Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #1

Help! Rusted Bolt on Shock

Need some ideas.

I was replacing the original shocks on my 04 fleetwood southwind (workhorse chassis) today.
Got the 2 in the back done, and the passenger side done. Drivers side bottom bolt is so rusted that it took more than 30 minutes of torching the nut just to get it off.

The bolt, however, is so rusted that nothing could even move it. We torched it, hit it with an impact wrench and even banged it with a sledgehammer. It just won't budge. Hit it so hard that the end is actually damaged and couldn't get the bolt back on.

Going to try a heavier hammer, but other than that I'm at a loss. How can I get this bolt out without damaging in the sleeve it goes through on the leaf springs?

Thanks.
Mixmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #2

PB blaster every day for 2 weeks. I had the same on my Honda CR-V. I used blaster on it every day and it finally let loose.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

spray diesel fuel on it. Blaster is good but eveytime i used diesel on something rusted it came off. unseized pistons a few times and work great
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Ok Gang,
You're all gonna laugh at me and this link after you see it. I have no idea if this little shenanigan works or not. I have no one to ask. It was sent to me by a friend in my email. See what you think.
Scott

Removing Rusted Nuts With a Candle
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I like that candle video, I'll have to try it sometime.

What I've learned to do with shocks, is before I try loosening the mounting bolts, I always wd40 the exposed threads of the bolt, and then tighten another new nut down on the threads and back off. What this effectively does is to clear out the rust from the exposed threads. Spray some more wd40 to flush the threads, now remove the old mounting nut.

If you don't do that, as you start to unscrew the old nut it will run into the rust on the bolt shaft and eventually binds up. On some shocks that for instance has the nut on the end of the shock shaft (which can spin), is that you end up having to put vice grips on the shock shaft, which never hold better than the rusted shaft nut on the end.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Heat, PB Blast, candle wax...but it needs to be hotter than a lighter on a lug nut, and impact wrench, cycle between remove and tightening. It will come off....or it will break the bolt.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
dms

PB Blaster, let sit for a day. Then, heat bolt with micro-torch and melt bees wax into it. Will come right off.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #9
YC1

If you have room, use a Dremel tool with a cutoff blade. Cut a slit down the side and pry it open with a screwdriver. If you can cut down more than one side it will come off in pieces.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
If you have room, use a Dremel tool with a cutoff blade. Cut a slit down the side and pry it open with a screwdriver. If you can cut down more than one side it will come off in pieces.
I don't think it is the nut he is having a problem with. If I am reading correctly the nut is off and the bolt is stuck in the sleeve of the spring.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

Mixmoses,

I had the exact same problem you had (except that mine was on the passenger side) and tried the same techniques. I got the nut off, but the bolt was rusted tight.

My solution was to get a better impact wrench. My air source was limited. So, I went with a battery powered one from Milwaukee.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2763-20

This battery one is rated at 1,100 ft-lbs of reverse torque. My air tool was rated at 600 ft-lbs, if I could supply the air long enough to break the bolt free.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #12

Dabrooks is correct. The bolt is stuck in the sleeve. I just ordered a new bolt from a workhorse parts distributor and will try hitting it with Blaster and a strong impact wrench.

Will try the battery powered one that was recommended.

I was doing some additional research and heard that CRC Freeze Off might work better than Blaster. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmoses View Post
Dabrooks is correct. The bolt is stuck in the sleeve. I just ordered a new bolt from a workhorse parts distributor and will try hitting it with Blaster and a strong impact wrench.

Will try the battery powered one that was recommended.

I was doing some additional research and heard that CRC Freeze Off might work better than Blaster. Anyone have any experience with this?
I have a can of the Freeze Off, but have never had a need to use it yet. Give it a try. Freeze the crap out of it.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #14

Center punch, then drill as large a hole in the bolt as possible. Then just use some percussion persuasion from the side. The bolt will snap off.
I used to do Chrysler products shocks somewhat like that. I would centerpunch the crappy top nut, then drill a hole thru the nut and the top of the shock, then whack with a hammer. Snapped right off.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust