Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help this newbie, thanks

Since the weather has been so cold, I decided to start the RV and generator last week. The exhaust for the generator was beside the garage wall. It ran for about 15 to 20 minutes then I shut everything off. Later that day the CO2 alarm went off and hasn't stopped yet. I opened up the RV and aired it out, but the alarm is stilll going off. It is hard wired in. Any suggestions? Never dealt with this before?
mike59901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike59901 View Post
Since the weather has been so cold, I decided to start the RV and generator last week. The exhaust for the generator was beside the garage wall. It ran for about 15 to 20 minutes then I shut everything off. Later that day the CO2 alarm went off and hasn't stopped yet. I opened up the RV and aired it out, but the alarm is stilll going off. It is hard wired in. Any suggestions? Never dealt with this before?
There should be two screws holding the sensor in place. Remove any and all screws and remove sensor from wall. Pull sensor from wall and there should be a connection with some type of clip on it to disconnect it. Once this is done the noise should stop. These particular sensors have a shelf life on them and its quite possible that you will need to replace this sensor, the manufacturer date or the expiration date should be printed on the back side of the sensor. I'm sure someone else here shortly will chime in and tell us how long they are good for. Good luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think the normal life is 5 years, but not positive!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:08 PM   #4

Not sure of exact CO sensor but ones in meters at work can be "poisoned" if you intentionally stick confined space ones in known real bad area like an exhaust pipe. One big gulp of exhaust they are damaged or dead a high level of CO may have killed it. It may have been aging out anyway. Sniffer/testers with much higher rating for combustion will still have metered dilution with fresh air at like 5 to1 up to 20 to 1 to preserve the sensors.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
CO2 sensors are not like smoke detectors and cannot be reset. Once tripped they need to be replaced. Very inexpensive safety device but also very important.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:21 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
READ the Light colors/ flashing/ no flash, and then the LABEL on the front to determine CO ALARM/ LP ALARM/ LOW BATTERY/ EXPIRED UNIT? Fuse is either in fuse panel (1a or 2a?) or INLINE if connected direct to battery?
Old 01-22-2022, 12:23 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
chuckftboy, SORRY, you are wrong, but YES you CAN RESET CO ALARM (NOT Co2); but cannot reset an old/ expired unit.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:55 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can't help on the CO alarm but I can help that recurring:
Don't start the coach again until you are ready to head out somewhere.
Starting and idling for a short time is about the worst thing you can do for an engine.
I don't touch mine for the whole winter, 5-6 months.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Can't help on the CO alarm but I can help that recurring:
Don't start the coach again until you are ready to head out somewhere.
Starting and idling for a short time is about the worst thing you can do for an engine.
I don't touch mine for the whole winter, 5-6 months.

You will have to remove the CO alarm and take it to a warm dry place for a few days. If it still alarms after you reinstall it , it needs to be replaced.

I agree with not starting the engine or generator while the coach is in storage. Mine sits from October till May without being touched.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #10

Agree with the "Don't start it unless you are going to use it" policy. That's how I treated all of our gen-sets, diesel, and gas engines over 45 years of ownership without issues.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags