RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar


 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 1,754
Help! Zep stripper made a Orange patch on my Tan RV

I have been cleaning my RV and striping the old Zep High Traffic using the stripper. It is a bit sluggish to work at the recommended 1 in 4 concentration so I tried full strength (as some have recommended). After three minutes I now have an orange patch on the Tan RV. I screwed that one up for sure. Please don't berate me, I have learned my lesson but can anyone suggest a way to lighten the color?
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar


 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 1,754
OK... So go ahead and laugh... I did. After putting it on it turns the old fiberglass orange but after rinsing and them cleaning with Simple Green it fades back to the original tan. It was really clean then. I tried getting the 2 year accumulation off with 1/2 strength but it did not work as well.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,143
Sounds like you might have dodged a bullet.

For stripping I used a diluted LA Awsome (recommended floor stripping dilution). Spray it on with a pump garden sprayer. Give it a few minutes to soften the Zep then scrub down with a white or brown scrubbing pad and some liquid Bar Keepers Friend. The green pads are a bit ruff in my opinion. 1/2 gallon bottle at the Dollar Store for LA Awsome is a good bargain. Smells like 409 cleaner.

Using Zep saves a lot of work going on, no so much coming off.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 21,184
DW, helped ??? for about 5 mins. while I was Zepping the coach , she got runs and quit. Runs cleaned off with sudsy ammonia.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar


 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
DW, helped ??? for about 5 mins. while I was Zepping the coach , she got runs and quit. Runs cleaned off with sudsy ammonia.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar


 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Sounds like you might have dodged a bullet.

For stripping I used a diluted LA Awsome (recommended floor stripping dilution). Spray it on with a pump garden sprayer. Give it a few minutes to soften the Zep then scrub down with a white or brown scrubbing pad and some liquid Bar Keepers Friend. The green pads are a bit ruff in my opinion. 1/2 gallon bottle at the Dollar Store for LA Awsome is a good bargain. Smells like 409 cleaner.

Using Zep saves a lot of work going on, no so much coming off.
Thing about the Zep is my fiberglass has no shine whatsoever left and soaks up stains which don't come out without a battle. It is easier to strip Zep every couple of years than to clean stains and wax constantly. I really need to sand and paint and clear coat one of these days.

With the stripper, when used right, I hardly need to use the scrubbie pad at all. Like the instructions say don't let it dry and it will dry fast because it dissolves the old covering which soaks it up and helps dry fast. The old coating comes off like loose skin after a sunburn and I have to be right on it with the poly sponge mop.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Thing about the Zep is my fiberglass has no shine whatsoever left and soaks up stains which don't come out without a battle. It is easier to strip Zep every couple of years than to clean stains and wax constantly. I really need to sand and paint and clear coat one of these days.

With the stripper, when used right, I hardly need to use the scrubbie pad at all. Like the instructions say don't let it dry and it will dry fast because it dissolves the old covering which soaks it up and helps dry fast. The old coating comes off like loose skin after a sunburn and I have to be right on it with the poly sponge mop.
.... Yup .... back when I had the Endeavor (mostly white) I made the mistake of using Zep .... no UV inhibitors ... turned yellow in Florida sunshine. Stripping is the only option and took longer than applying the Zep.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Kahoona's Avatar


 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
.... Yup .... back when I had the Endeavor (mostly white) I made the mistake of using Zep .... no UV inhibitors ... turned yellow in Florida sunshine. Stripping is the only option and took longer than applying the Zep.

Still, for me an annual cleanup and every 2 year strip is far easier than the total wet sand and respray that is the alternative.
__________________
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Zep or not to Zep, that is my question! trode Class A Motorhome Discussions 33 11-01-2015 07:55 AM
Pre-wax cleaner/stripper ? Bukiman Class C Motorhome Discussions 4 09-02-2014 02:20 PM
best wax & stripper for fiberglass coach? On a Mission Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 06-12-2013 01:37 PM
Zep Red Max Pro Or Zep Wet Look Bama Fan MH-General Discussions & Problems 9 05-11-2013 09:41 PM
Email Stripper John Harrelson Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 6 09-01-2007 05:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.