Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #1

Hey California!

I know you are busy fighting a bunch of fires. We had planned to skip California this year, but a family emergency put you as the shortest route between two points. With some of the highest gas taxes in the country, it is hard to believe that you manage to have 3 of every 4 Rest Areas closed. $4.50 per gallon stings even worse when riding down your terribly maintained roads with very few places to take a rest.

Today’s rant over.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #2

Sorry you are having to make an emergency trip through California and are not enjoying it. Have a safe trip back to Arizona.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #3

Sorry for the emergency, but yes, it sucks here when it comes to COL and the .gov
Old 08-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Lets stick to the topic and keep the politics out of the post.

Thanks to those posting within the rules.

Site Staff
Old 08-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I make a habit of not going to California except for weddings and funerals. Nothing there for me, others love it, so they can have it. Gimme Atlantic or Gulf beaches any day, and the mountains and vistas of Utah can't be beat.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

Sad that that certain states have to have a thread notification 3 posts in. You would think that would be an indicator in most countries.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #7

Please do not come to the Florida Gulf Coast we are already filled up with people from other states …..Try Texas or Mississippi……
Old 08-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We hope you made it safely through CA and your family emergency was not life threatening. The heat in the NW is supposed to be intense even without the fires. We here in Colorado have been living in their forest fire smoke for the past +40 days.

Safe travels!
Old 08-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #9

California native here, been in SoCal all my life. Live near the beach, been around 70 to 75 degrees all summer. I can ride along the beach in the morning, and be up in the mountains in the afternoon. We have deserts, lakes, the beautiful Pacific Ocean, and snow skiing all within an hour drive. Very diverse microclimates, even within certain cities.

So to all those people whining about California, it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm still enjoying the heck out of it, as you choke down your sour grapes
Old 08-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
Please do not come to the Florida Gulf Coast we are already filled up with people from other states …..Try Texas or Mississippi……
Texas is filled to the brim so so a person should not even attempt to come down here. Mississippi sounds like the perfect choice!
Old 08-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mississippi is still open! Gas is $2.82, Diesel $2.99. Y'all come!
Old 08-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mississippi is still open! Gas is $2.82, Diesel $2.99. Y'all come!
That is a very nice invitation! One of these days I'm going to explore the south and see what it has to offer. Thank you for remaining positive in a world of darkness and despair.

California. Yep, the roads suck, the gas is expensive and there are very few rest stops. Meh, nothing new in Cali.

On the other side of this, I can travel less than 1.5 hours away and camp at the beach, mountains, lakes (what's left of them, but that's another thread) or desert, and ride my motorcycles with friends and family.

I understand your frustration and actually agree with your point of view, but this is where I live. I wouldn't come here either except for my mother, sister, BIL, my kids and grandkids who all live in this state. Oh yeah, my wife lives here too... coming up on 40 years so I guess I'll stick around a little longer.

Just remember, where ever you go, there you are.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #13

Been through Tucson lately ? Talk about bad roads

What little travels we've done , Florida once DC twice so have traveled low middle and high back and forth across the states . Roads are terrible everywhere !

Last time we went to DC coming back in Illinois or Indiana I swear we drove over a vw bug that was in a pot hole ! The roads were so bad !
Old 08-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #14

Lots of bad roads all over America. I find one common spot is bridge transitions. You can see them coming by looking for two clues. Either short tire skid marks right before or right after where trailer tires bounce, or dark spots in the same places from thousands and thousands of little drops of oil shaken lose from the vehicles as they bounce over the bad spot. Pothole and cracks, well, they are all over too.
Closed Thread

Tags
california