Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #15

High Tony,

Appreciate your input..

We've had our solar system since 2005 charging 4ea 6v coach batteries and 1ea 12v chassis battery.

Continuous high charge amperage usually causes excessive battery water loss rather than the 14v charge rate.

So at 14v with a 1.5-1.8 float amperage, we haven't experienced any significant water loss with our setup.

We use the Pro-Fill system to replenish battery water which I check & add at monthly intervals where a minimal amount of water is added to the batteries.

Thanks again & Safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #16

What is the rated capacity in amp hours of the battery?

This is value for C

Most batteries tollerate the following charge rates in general but dsta sheet gives specific.

1C to 2C bulk mode after deep discharge for very short period less than 1 hour.
20 to 30 amps absorption mode or after current drops down 2 to 5 hours.
0.1%C float charge

If you are floating at 1.5 amps into the battery it will consume a bit of water as you discovered.

If you had agm they would look like these...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150119_123520.png
Views:	87
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	83665  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
What is the rated capacity in amp hours of the battery?

This is value for C

Most batteries tollerate the following charge rates in general but dsta sheet gives specific.

1C to 2C bulk mode after deep discharge for very short period less than 1 hour.
20 to 30 amps absorption mode or after current drops down 2 to 5 hours.
0.1%C float charge

If you are floating at 1.5 amps into the battery it will consume a bit of water as you discovered.

If you had agm they would look like these...

Our 4 6v batteries are the Interstate GC-2's rated at 225ah which suit our needs adequately as we rarely dry camp.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Our 4 6v batteries are the Interstate GC-2's rated at 225ah which suit our needs adequately as we rarely dry camp.

Many thanks folks for your many inputs. Let me clarify a few things about my system.

Batteries - 4 6v Deka wet cell batteries rated at 220 amp/hrs each

Battery Monitor - TriMetric by Bogart Engineering

Solar panels - 4 120watt panels wired with 8 gauge on roof to roof mounted junction box; wired with 6 ga welding cable from roof to solar controller and to batteries.

Solar Controller - Morningstar TriStar 45amp PWM set at 14.8 v charge rate.

Problem - Battery bank is registering 15.5 v at rest; drops to 13.8 - 14v under load. Same numbers appear on the coach's EMS meter and on my hand held volt meter. Water consumption is about 1 pt monthly.

Batteries were all new in August.

I have a call into Morningstar but they haven't responded yet.

Any additional thoughts would be most appreciated.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #19

Colder temperatures increase the volt input to a battery.
I believe you are in a cold (as in Polar Express) area.
Check your charger charge chart for correct volts.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #20

Where are these voltages being indicated or measured?

At the battery or on a panel someplace.

Charging voltage seems too high but you need to confirm what it should be by confirming data sheet or manufacturer.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I took readings at three places: the coach's Magnum EMS, the TriMetric remote meter, and right at the battery bank with my handheld voltmeter.

Perhaps cold is the issue as we have had consistently below freezing temps (into the teens at night) for the past two weeks. Highs in the mid 30's only.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I took readings at three places: the coach's Magnum EMS, the TriMetric remote meter, and right at the battery bank with my handheld voltmeter.

Perhaps cold is the issue as we have had consistently below freezing temps (into the teens at night) for the past two weeks. Highs in the mid 30's only.
I don't believe there is anything wrong....the below freezing temps is most likely causing your higher voltages...I have seen 15.1 from my Blue Sky solar controller in freezing temps.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #23

Hi Stan,

The main reason I joined IRV2 is the help people with their battery issues. Some of the responses you have received are in error or headed down paths that don't relate to your concern about voltage. Two people did get it right. No offense to those who were trying to help as I am sure you were sincere.

Your Morningstar charge controller comes with a temperature sensor that should attach to the battery. The purpose is to change the controller charge voltage. For each degree of temperature above 77 degrees, the voltage will be lowered to prevent over charging. As your battey gets colder, the controller will increase voltage to provide proper charging. These changes are linear.

A very cold battery may drive the voltage to the very high number you are seeing. This is normal and harmless.

Some controllers have a maximum voltage limit. This should be set to about 15.5 volts for most RV's. This is because some electronics onboard can be harmed if they see 16 volts or higher.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #24

One thing I forgot to mention is that after the controller goes to the float stage, this voltage should be much lower. The high voltage occurs during the absorption stage. If your controller is in float when you see the high voltage, something is wrong.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #25

Is your resting voltage with all charging sources off? If yes then you have 3 batteries in series.

What kind of load brings them down to 13.8? If it is a big ( 60-80 ) amp load, you have 3 batteries in series.

Just a crazy thought
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for. Putting my mind at ease.

Battery Pro: your comments were mirrored by the Morningstar rep I spoke with today.

We leave for warmth and sunshine Saturday with peace of mind!

Thank you all!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Hi Stan,

The main reason I joined IRV2 is the help people with their battery issues. Some of the responses you have received are in error or headed down paths that don't relate to your concern about voltage. Two people did get it right. No offense to those who were trying to help as I am sure you were sincere.

Your Morningstar charge controller comes with a temperature sensor that should attach to the battery. The purpose is to change the controller charge voltage. For each degree of temperature above 77 degrees, the voltage will be lowered to prevent over charging. As your battey gets colder, the controller will increase voltage to provide proper charging. These changes are linear.

A very cold battery may drive the voltage to the very high number you are seeing. This is normal and harmless.

Some controllers have a maximum voltage limit. This should be set to about 15.5 volts for most RV's. This is because some electronics onboard can be harmed if they see 16 volts or higher.

Larry
Yep! I had this identical situation 2 weeks ago. I asked about it on escapees.com and the response was what you stated. I was told to disconnect the battery temperature sensor from m inverter/charger. I did, and voltage at battery terminals steadily fell to 13.3VDC.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery