Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

High lift or bucket for roof work

I have had numerous times when I have taken my motorhome to a shop for roof work because I don't have easy access to my roof. Has anyone bought a high lift or bucket for DIY roof work. Seems like it could pay for it self by paying a shop all the time.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think a ladder would be a lot cheaper. Not as much fun as a high lift or bucket, but a ladder can hang on a wall in the garage, your choices would be much harder to store and maintain.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think a ladder would be a lot cheaper. Not as much fun as a high lift or bucket, but a ladder can hang on a wall in the garage, your choices would be much harder to store and maintain.
Yep, I totally agree. If money was/is no object and, one has plenty of space hanging around that you could park a very limited use piece of equipment the size of a bucket would take up, well then, go for it. But, a ladder, extension or, A-Frame or a "Little Giant" type (they unfold kind-a like a "Transformer") type ladder would work quite well. Yep, not nearly as sexy as a bucket.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I use a little giant with swim noodles attached to lean against the roof rails. If I had more storage room at home I might have a section of staging, but getting it close to the coach could be a problem. I don't have the room so I don't have the problem.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Community Moderator

i have seen an extendable ladder which would be a good one for climbing up to the roof. collapsed to a small footprint to fit into the storage compartment.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JY9QAPQ...a-312808058315
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have physical issues, precluding climbing to the roof via a ladder, so appreciate the problem. I have thought about the movable steps. Was at a shop and they had one next to my coach, so up I went. First time I've seen my roof. I could move our coach into an open area on our property to use one. Where to store is the problem.

http://shop.fsindustries.com/product...d-treads/36100
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have physical issues, precluding climbing to the roof via a ladder, so appreciate the problem. I have thought about the movable steps. Was at a shop and they had one next to my coach, so up I went. First time I've seen my roof. I could move our coach into an open area on our property to use one. Where to store is the problem.

F.S. Industries - 10 Step Weight-Actuated Ladder,Perforated Treads

We just need a 12 ft. deep pit with a really long slope
Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
We just need a 12 ft. deep pit with a really long slope
Or,
A garage with a lift only, when you drove on it, it would go DOWN instead of up.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #9

I use a Big Joe PDCM-20, unfortunately mine is only the 106 inch lift height model, not the 130 inch, but it still gets me up to an easy step up to my coach roof height and makes for a nice work platform. Of course I have to have a helper to operate the lift from below, so not exactly as handy as a real bucket lift.

Mine looks like the one in this photo, just with a few more dings and the paint is a bit more
faded

p.s. I also have a set of rollable steps like mentioned above, I bought them at an auction from at a local Lowes store that was moving into a larger building across the street, as I recall I bought 3 sets in a variety of heights for about $350 total around 10 years ago.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #10

What you need is a MAN lift, not a bucket. They are small, portable, with very little footprint. Call rental yards that have them and see if you can buy one used. Keep calling if they say No because sooner or later they will need to replace it. I've bought two like that that were in surprisingly good shape for doing some stage lighting. Bought several new ones too but can't remember what I paid for any of em'. :(

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #11

I have a piece of property where I keep tools and equipment, and room to park my motorhome. I have a yellow scaffold that I bought at Northern Tools (used a coupon). It's perfect for working on the roof-to-wall joint, and a couple of feet onto the roof. I can do more work on my feet than on my knees. I don't mind using an extension ladder to safely climb up onto the roof. My motorhome also has a two-piece ladder (upper section is attached).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I am fortunate enough that I have a 4x4 john deere tractor with loader and forks that I use. I bought one of those water totes with the cage around them, 350 gal. I think, and removed the water tote leaving a cage.
I then cut a entry gate and installed a safety chain on both the gate and to secure to the mast of my tractor. My wife raises me up and moves me around so I can clean the top or recaulk just whatever I need to do. I too have issues with climbing up a ladder. I will try to post a pic.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
I bought a 3.1 metre work platform as ladder work can make you feet sore. It is much more stable and therefore safer. Use to get at trees when is time for trimming and general home / roof maintenance. Runs on 12 volt battery ��
DTRAWFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #14

High lift or bucket for roof work

It’s good to hear about affordable options and I would think as long as one has the space, it should be very doable. Even if the cost were a bit more, it’s really relative... as many people spend lots of $$$ for their rigs, toys and accessories. So to allocate some of those $$& to a maintenance item sounds reasonable.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof