Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #1

We frequently leave our good friend, Magic, a black Minature Schnauzer,in the coach with the AC's (or heat) on while we go out sightseeing, dinner etc. - we often think what would happen if the power failed on a hot summer day and the temp in the coach became dangerously high for him - does anyone have experience with a temp alarm/phone-dialer device that could be peogrammed to ring us if a high temp problem developed?

Jim Henry
05 Dutchstar
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #2

We frequently leave our good friend, Magic, a black Minature Schnauzer,in the coach with the AC's (or heat) on while we go out sightseeing, dinner etc. - we often think what would happen if the power failed on a hot summer day and the temp in the coach became dangerously high for him - does anyone have experience with a temp alarm/phone-dialer device that could be peogrammed to ring us if a high temp problem developed?

Jim Henry
05 Dutchstar
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
A few years ago I looked into a system called "RV Guardian" but decided against it. The basic unit cost is $695 plus $29.95 monthly. I believe the GPS based unit cost is $1,295. You should find it with a google search for "RV Guardian".
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #4

Check your Brookstone catalog. They sell a freeze alarm that will call you when the temp drops below 40. I believe that it can also be used high temp alerts too.
bounderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #5

How do you intend to dial out: Landline or cell?
There are several landline dialout devices that trip on temp and/or several various contact closures, and I think loss of power as well. HERE is one of them.

If you have a continuous internet connection, there are several options there as well. At the office we use Netbotz to watch critical areas. It too looks at temp, and has several contact inputs. The one we use at work will also snap and email a picture when an alarm is tripped, including movement if set. Probably more than you need, but there are options.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,

I have the same concerns. Only problem with your idea is, what if you are no where near your CG when you get that call?

I just installed a genset auto-start device that fires up the gen-set if my interior temperature exceeds a particular setting (one that I choose). Hence, if the CG power fails and my thermostat calls for cooling, the genset fires up and re-starts the A/C. It then shuts the genset back down when the interior temp. is lowered, but only after that lower temp. has been maintained for 10 minutes.

There are several such devices on the market.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #7

Forgot that the need for cell phone dialing equipment would add another layer of complexity (and price) to this project - thanks for the suggestions, will keep thinking about this
Old 06-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just installed a genset auto-start device that fires up the gen-set if my interior temperature exceeds a particular setting (one that I choose) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig, how much was this, how difficult is it to install, and who did you get to do it. I checked on one at my local dealers and they said it would be cost prohibitive to retrofit.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
Craig, how much was this, how difficult is it to install, and who did you get to do it. I checked on one at my local dealers and they said it would be cost prohibitive to retrofit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I went with the Generator Logic Control by Intellitec for the very reason you described. Most other units such as the Cummins-Onan are labor intensive. The Intellitec requires less labor to install. The Intellitec unit cost me around $400.

Before I tell you about my installation, I must warn you that if you search around at some of my posts on this subject, you'll find some negative remarks that I've made about Intellitec. I received the GLC unit in the mail from one of their dealers with absolutely zero installation and operating instructions. I had no idea what wire went to what. After several calls to Intellitec tech support, which is not the greatest, I got some help. It seemed a little over my head, so I had my local RV repair shop do the install. It took him 6 hours, but the thing still didn't work the way I wanted it to. I did some tweaking and now it works perfectly.

It ended up costing me $1K total, most of that labor. However, now that I've been through this, I can honestly say that I could have done the entire install myself. I re-wired some of the wiring that the RV shop did during my "tweaking"¯, and it was not that difficult.

If you are good at all at this sort of thing, it should not be a big deal. I have all of the installation information from the factory and can walk you through my install if you decide to go with an Intellitec unit. Feel free to PM me.

Craig

Old 06-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I think I better wait until I can round up some qualified help to assist.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Cat

We have purchased a fan control from Fan-tasic that has a thermostat. When the inside temp reachs a temperature you set, the dome opens then the fan comes on and stays on until the inside temperatue is lowered. Since it runs off of the batteries if you lose the A/C you have several hours with the fan running before the batteries ever run down. It may not keep the temp at 75 degrees but it will keep it from getting to hot for the pets.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cat:
We have purchased a fan control from Fan-tasic that has a thermostat. When the inside temp reachs a temperature you set, the dome opens then the fan comes on and stays on until the inside temperatue is lowered. Since it runs off of the batteries if you lose the A/C you have several hours with the fan running before the batteries ever run down. It may not keep the temp at 75 degrees but it will keep it from getting to hot for the pets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Fantastic-Vent might be a good alternative in some cases. The caveat is that you will need to leave another vent or window open in order for the fan to do much good, as it needs to draw air in from somewhere to work well. Most people aren't going to do that if they are running their A/C.

Craig

Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #13

I have just finished installing a wireless security alarm system in my 2005 Winnebago Journey. I have added an auto dialer that can contact me on my cell phone. Contact the Home Security Store at 1-888-501-7870 or look on the web for WWW.homesecuritystore.com. I installed the POWERMAX+KIT2,and had to buy a phone through T-Mobil and transfer the chip to the auto dialer.
Retired FAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RETIRED 200, AWESOME! do you have animals in your moho? we have 2 11# cats. i see from the visonic web site that the alarm is not supposed to activate with less than 40# animals. i am concerned about false alarms.
what is the physical size of the alarm components? where did you mount them?
i already have 2 t-mo cell phones. could i just buy another sim card or do i have to have a dedicated cell line for this system? does it have to be t-mo?
plz keep us (me) posted on how well this system works.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote