Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

Hilly Road and Class A DP

Hello, I’m a newbie here, looking to purchase something in the 35-38 ft class A range (if I can talk the DW into it). So I live a mile off of the main road up a narrow winding two-lane road. I’ve seen pickups towing large trailers on this road but not a large class A. Years ago a friend of mine had his 40’ DP twist and break a windshield. Not too sure what brand of motorhome. I’m looking at used units with a Spartan, Freightliner, or similar class of chassis. The question is should I be concerned about breaking or popping a single piece windshield on a hilly winding road?

Thanks much,
Rix
Trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

A lot would depend on how rutted and rough the road is. I've been on some pretty twisting narrow roads with both a 38' and 41' motor home and never had a problem with the windshield. If you take it slow and easy you shouldn't have any problem unless the road is extremely rough.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

We live in a subdivision on top of a mountain in North Georgia where the road to our home has 1 quarter of mile section that climbs nearly 1,000 feet and about a 10% grade with several switchbacks. Fortunately the road is two lanes which allows us to drive our 33' up and down the incline without an issue at about 5 MPH. The main point above about taking it easy is critical since you have to give the body of the coach time to gradually rise and fall to meet the contour of the road. Increasing speed on these types of roads increases the frequency of the flexing and translates into more energy being encountered on the weakest point of your chassis.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's not so much the chassis that might cause windshield problems - it's the design of the coach front cap where the windshield is seated. Spartan & Freightliner both build a chassis with excellent strength & rigidity, but the motorhome body builders are too often sub-par.

Of my three motorhomes, only one of them (a 1996 35 footer) was prone to separating the windshield and I had to be cautious bout how I jacked it up when leveling. Roads were never a problem. The other two, a 2002 and a 2004, never caused a problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I wouldn't be concerned about that unless the road is in really bad shape!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a