Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Question Hiss Sound When Pac Brake Turned on What do you think it is?

Hi we got this Coach the begining of January and drove it home from Florida. We had a leaking pinion seal which we have replaced. Took the coach out yesterday for a test ride the 1st time since bringing it home from Florida and now as Soon as Pac brake is activated I hear what sounds like an air leak coming from the rear, everything seems to be operating normal, I have boost readings when on the throttle and coach idles and sounds fine, would love to hear what you think it might be or where to look, I also can smell some exhaust in the coach, I did on the way home from Florida with it too but just thought something wasn't sealed properly, now I'm thinking might be related?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:16 PM   #2

The Cummins ISC is well known for breaking exhaust manifolds, as the entire weight of the turbo and associated piping rests on the manifold.
Remove the engine cover in the bedroom, start engine, watch and feel for any air/exhaust leaks.
Mine was obvious, one side of the two-piece manifold was broken entirely through, and the manifold gasket was leaking in 3 places..
Cummins redesigned the manifold to eliminate the problem, and it is much thicker and heavier than the OEM manifold.

I had it replaced at a local HDT repair shop. I first removed the entire bed and stand, then covered all the coach carpeting with the sticky carpet protector. Had I not done that, my total bill would have been much higher, as it was the total bill was $3,000. Do not attempt to replace only one half of the manifold, it will never seal properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken ISC manifold.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	284433   Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked turbocharger mounting flange.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	284434  

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

Doubt the Park break hiss and exhaust smell are related. Air up your tanks, shut the engine down and set the brake. Every park break on any air break system sets the brakes by releasing air and letting springs set and hold. If the hiss goes on more then a very short amount of time you should be able to locate it
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The Cummins ISC is well known for breaking exhaust manifolds, as the entire weight of the turbo and associated piping rests on the manifold.
Remove the engine cover in the bedroom, start engine, watch and feel for any air/exhaust leaks.
Mine was obvious, one side of the two-piece manifold was broken entirely through, and the manifold gasket was leaking in 3 places..
Cummins redesigned the manifold to eliminate the problem, and it is much thicker and heavier than the OEM manifold.

I had it replaced at a local HDT repair shop. I first removed the entire bed and stand, then covered all the coach carpeting with the sticky carpet protector. Had I not done that, my total bill would have been much higher, as it was the total bill was $3,000. Do not attempt to replace only one half of the manifold, it will never seal properly.
Thanks for the input, That's kind of what I was leaning towards... I know we will be doing the work ourselves, not really looking forward to it though, we just got done replacing all the coolant houses and fluids what a PITA, but we're are very particular with maintence.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Doubt the Park break hiss and exhaust smell are related. Air up your tanks, shut the engine down and set the brake. Every park break on any air break system sets the brakes by releasing air and letting springs set and hold. If the hiss goes on more then a very short amount of time you should be able to locate it
PAC brake exhaust brake not parking... Parking brake is working as it should applying automatically between 40 and 20psi and holds the coach while in gear at idle thanks though
Old 05-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Are you sure it’s not just the sound of the PAC exhaust brake?
I hear hissing from my Cat engine exhaust when I flip the switch for the exhaust brake. It’s normal.
If your air pressure is steady then all is good.
I would think if your exhaust manifold was cracked you would hear it under power too.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #7

Our pac brake hisses and there is an odor in the coach when it's being used. I've had it checked out twice by my long time heavy truck service centre.

They said it is working normally and that a relief valve on the side of the pack brake relieves pressure under load and makes a hiss sound.

The four year old exhaust manifold is not the issue and is not cracked.

From what I've read on here, exhaust manifolds crack from excessive heat. Nothing related to the pac brake.

Other posters on here have said the hissing and smell is normal while other's have said it's not. So who knows for sure.

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #8

Kuzzy,
I'm not sure I do know that it didn't make that nose when we 1st got it, air pressure are fine so are all other pressures. Unfortunately this Coach is new to us and that was the 1st time we had it out since bringing it home 4 months ago so we don't know it well yet.

Irishguy,
My odor is constant in the coach all the time not just with PAC brake engaged, I can smell it up front all the time, it has me concerned with co2 getting into the coach, and I just don't remember the hissing before.
Skip4Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My exhaust manifold failed back in 2015. I noticed the difference in sound immediately and went back and pulled the closet hatch to confirm.
I changed the manifold myself, took a little time but not bad. I spent quite a bit of time having to get up, go outside, crawl under the engine, and pick up tools/nuts/bolts as I dropped them. So if you have a helper it would be better.

At first I tired to work around the turbo, leaving it hooked to the flexible exhaust pipe but I ultimately removed which made it much easier to get the manifold off/on.

It cost me ~$650 for parts.
I've read where some people have paid almost $4K to have it changed. Yikes.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Just a thought.
Could it be one of your bedroom windows are open?
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #11

Are you saying that as soon as you turn on the exhaust brake enable switch on the dash or wherever yours is, you hear the hissing? Mine hisses when it activates and I hear nothing when it doesn't activate. I have to lift the bed up to hear if it is working. The rules are the pac brake is enabled and will not activate until your speed is above 10 mph. I added a footpedal so I could override that operation and I can activate it anytime.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #12

Normal. start up and put pac brake on low you will hear hiss now put it high did it go away?

Exhaust smell something else
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Normal. start up and put pac brake on low you will hear hiss now put it high did it go away?

Exhaust smell something else
Mike, a Pac brake is an on/off exhaust brake. I have not heard of a low/high pac brake. You must be thinking of a compression brake - different animal, but I don't think they hiss. Unless this is something totally new where the exhaust brake only closes partially or fully.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
There is a hole in the butterfly plate in a exhaust brake, thus the hissing noise when in use.......

Tags
brake