Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #1

hookup question

I have a 2002 Holiday vacationer. i am having problems with the microwave connection. My microwave will power up and function as normal when running off of the generator but will not work off of shore power. I have power to the microwave in as much as light and a couple lights on front panel but I cannot get any further than that as far as programming even the clock. Just will not accept the code...just beeps. I have plugged other things into the outlet and it works fine but not the microwave. Why would it work off of the generator and not the shore power. Everything else in the motorhome works as it should.
im learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2022, 11:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
R U using EMS or SURGE PROTECTOR? Maybe low voltage/ bad cord/ bad plug? No much makes sense otherwise, unless OP Error?
Old 07-13-2022, 06:29 AM   #3

Have you tried the microwave in a different outlet?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Does the same thing happen when you hook up to shore power at a different location? I'm grasping at straws but it seems a little bizarre that it works on generator power but not on shore power. That, plus the light works on shore power. which would seem to me to discount a problem with the outlet. Have you tried operating the microwave with other big power draws (i.e. air conditioner(s), electric water heater, coffee pot, toaster, etc) turned off?

I found a brochure for the 2003 version of your coach online and, as far as I can tell, it looks like the base configuration is a 30 amp electrical system with a 50 amp system available as an option. If you have a 30 amp system, there simply may not be enough power to operate the microwave and other "big draw" items at the same time.

There are a ton of qualified people here that can help but it seems more information is needed to direct you in the right direction.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:18 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like a low shore power issue. Maybe the volts are just low enough.
Or try turning everything off in the coach and just using the microwave with no hvac etc…

I like trying the microwave on a different outlet as well.

Time for a multimeter….
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #6

Are you using 30amp or using 30amp to 15amp connector ? And are you trying to run microwave and a/c ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-13-2022, 10:08 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do other 110 things run off shore power like the roof A/C's. If not and you have a transfer switch that could be your problem. Will a 110 light work if it is plugged into the same socket as the microwave when hooked up to shore power?
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As mentioned, a multimeter would be very helpful. Need to know voltage available at the microwave outlet. Could be too low to operate but enough to power the display.

Any chance you have a portable electric heater? Comparable power draw to microwave. Plug it in to outlet and see if it works to verify enough power.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #9

Yes, the same thing does happen at a different shore power location. I have shut everything else off before trying and get the same result. The first time it happened I thought that it could be a shore power problem and when I got home I played around with it and tried the generator and everything worked fine. I thought that was the problem and left it. When we went to a different place, I got the same issue. There is power to the socket but I only tried a light so it was just a low draw. I am on 50 amp with an ems and both ac will operate at the same time no problem.
im learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'd do 2 tests.

1. unplug microwave and using an heavy extension cord, plug it in somewhere else on coach.
2. Plug in a heavy draw item (example, portable heater, tea pot) in the micro wave outlet

Post results here of your findings.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #11

That might be a burned/pitted transfer switch contact.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:56 PM   #12

Agree with contact or wire connections in ATS. I had a contactor hinge get funky the kind with open contacts .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I don't understand that. If ATS was damaged, it seems to me that the air conditioners wouldn't run properly. OP says the a/c's are running fine on shore power.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I don't understand that. If ATS was damaged, it seems to me that the air conditioners wouldn't run properly. OP says the a/c's are running fine on shore power.
Re-read his post, he said "My microwave will power up and function as normal when running off of the generator but will not work off of shore power_."

What happens when the ATS shore power contacts are damaged? Answer; one or both hot legs do not conduct full power or none at all.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote