Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #1

Hookups vs boondocking vs being homeless

I’ve only owned my Class A a few weeks. My previous trailers were teardrops and having shore power and water made little difference in how I camped. Now that I’m in a bigger RV I’m finding it makes a huge difference. I don’t have to deal with running out of water, propane or diesel. I haven’t done dispersed camping yet which I consider real boondocking. The most I’ve done is stop at a rest area for 8 hours or a truck stop for a day.

I like the idea of moving everyday like how I used my teardrop. In this unit I’m not sure that is practical and I have to really learn how I want to live in it.

I sold my home thinking I would buy another right away and then couldn’t find anything I liked. I had the choice of being homeless or buying this RV. I can’t really say I though this through very well.

Regardless I’m liking it. What is it they say, play the cards you are dealt.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When life gives you lemons...make lemonade.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sounds like you are taking a good, measure approach. Your skills, knowledge and abilities will expand as you explore this new lifestyle (sounds like a fortune cookie). Everyone here could make suggestions, and many probably will. You’ll learn by doing and through the wealth of information and experience on this forum. So go forth and concur - the world awaits!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #4

Home on wheels

Go where you want to, when you want to, stay as long as you want, explore, make memories

All good. We FT for 7yrs and TRAVELED weekly/bi-weekly
Course we were mid 50's, retired and debt free so live was easy

Income and Domicile are the biggest issues
Enjoy
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Sounds like you are taking a good, measure approach. Your skills, knowledge and abilities will expand as you explore this new lifestyle (sounds like a fortune cookie). Everyone here could make suggestions, and many probably will. You’ll learn by doing and through the wealth of information and experience on this forum. So go forth and concur - the world awaits!
Reading all the problem threads sure has been a big help. It’s just a matter of time before a widget breaks and thanks to this forum I might just know what to do.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

As you are likely finding out, life on the road is getting more pricey. For what it's worth, pick a destination and plan on staying each place for a month. Saves on fuel and park rates are generally a TON cheaper by the month. But pick interesting places with opportunities for day trips. Best of luck on your new adventure....
Old 12-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopkat View Post
As you are likely finding out, life on the road is getting more pricey. For what it's worth, pick a destination and plan on staying each place for a month. Saves on fuel and park rates are generally a TON cheaper by the month. But pick interesting places with opportunities for day trips. Best of luck on your new adventure....
Picking an extended stay spot isn’t easy. I’m more in the “do you have any vacancies” because I don’t have reservations. I’m currently at my third RV camp and can only nightly. The other two had vacancies however I didn’t like them.

I have this RV and a bike on the back. I need to be in walking distance of supplies or travel every few days. Yet I also need to be in one spot long enough to get mail.

Oh the adventure continues!
Old 12-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #8

Use the Google to find interesting "small towns" where only a bike will get you where you want to go. We've done it with our scooters (35MPH) max and have found some great spots. In fact, one has been our favorite for the past 8 years. Keep looking and do some pre-planning. It pays off!
Old 12-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Whatever blows your hair back
Old 12-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

You are so lucky.. you are not tied down.. free.. free to wonder about.. and see this marvelous country that our vet's gave their blood sweat and tears for.. relax.. one day at a time.. get a good basic tool set.. grab one at flee market ..
It's a big change for you.. so.. I hope to meet you out some day.. maybe you can give me a hand..
You tube some of your stuff.. who knows.. look forward to watching your vids..
Come back if you need some great opinions and you can start a new adventure...
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not sure what type of rig you have, so I will give information on how we boondock/dispersed camp with our Class A. Propane has never been a problem for long term stays anywhere. Fill it up when it gets to 1/4 full, but that might take quite a while. Electricity comes from your battery, so you need to know your energy needs to size a battery bank appropriately. Install a battery monitor (we use a Victron) and see how many amp hours a day you use. Then match that to batteries. After you have the batteries, you need to have a way to charge them, and that comes down to generator or solar. If you already have a generator, use it unless you know you will be keeping the rig. Water and waste ma segment comes next. You actually are probably pretty good at that since you had a tiny rig before.

For campgrounds, so much depends on where you are. We stay west, and there are more sites available than in Florida and similar SE areas. The longer you stay at a campground, the less the rate is.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #12
Community Moderator

I hope you have driven south for winter! Pick a nice spot in AZ, TX, or FL

Investigate a used thousand trails membership. Really saves money staying 14-21 days at a time in a park for $0

https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I hope you have driven south for winter! Pick a nice spot in AZ, TX, or FL

Investigate a used thousand trails membership. Really saves money staying 14-21 days at a time in a park for $0

https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com
Thanks. I’m currently at an RV park just outside of Kingman, AZ. I like it here however I’m paying nightly rates. Later today the manager gets back and I’ll talk to her about an extended stay.

I wouldn’t mind traveling every few days but right now I need to stay in one spot long enough to get my snail mail and a few things from Amazon.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Whatever blows your hair back
I’m bald.

Tags
boondock, boondocking, hookups