Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #1

Hot plates for breakfast!!!

Why didn't I think of this before?

I can't stand putting hot breakfast food on a cold plate. At home, I just heat plates over the smallest gas burner on the stove or use the warm setting on the oven if more than two plates need heating.

But, in the MH, I'm not confident that the lowest burner setting on the stove isn't too hot to safely heat a plate.

So, this morning.....a revelation! I opened up the cabinet and got out the electric heating pad. I plugged it in, turned it on, and in the time it took to cook a couple of sausage patties and two eggs, my plate was heated and ready!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Cleaver!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #3

At home or in RV I pop cold plates in microwave for 35 seconds

Simple......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Simple......
x2. That's what we have done for years. At home, and in the motorhome.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
x2. That's what we have done for years. At home, and in the motorhome.
X3 here, but have to admit I find our white ceramic plates (not the corelle ones!) show more crack/stress lines in them since I started doing it that way??? Also if I pile say 3 on top of each other, the bottom one gets real hot sometimes compared to the top one.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Why didn't I think of this before?

I can't stand putting hot breakfast food on a cold plate. At home, I just heat plates over the smallest gas burner on the stove or use the warm setting on the oven if more than two plates need heating.

But, in the MH, I'm not confident that the lowest burner setting on the stove isn't too hot to safely heat a plate.

So, this morning.....a revelation! I opened up the cabinet and got out the electric heating pad. I plugged it in, turned it on, and in the time it took to cook a couple of sausage patties and two eggs, my plate was heated and ready!
Back when I'd cook for more than myself, I'd warm plates by stacking them on top of the stock pot. I liked the idea of recovering heat and using it... but the heating pad trick will do in the RV. Excellent adaptive use!

In looking at the luxury coaches I can see where a buyer might spec a compact plate warmer as part of a gourmet road kitchen. Heck, throw in a chiller, too, for the salad plates and desert bowls.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Re putting plates in the microwave. Has anyone done it on a regular basis with Corelle dishes? If so, any problems. I'll have to try it when the DW isn't watching. As it is, she still has concerns about me putting them on the low heat burner of our stove....all I have to do is make sure I cut the burner off before one cracks or get damaged!!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Re putting plates in the microwave. Has anyone done it on a regular basis with Corelle dishes? If so, any problems. I'll have to try it when the DW isn't watching. As it is, she still has concerns about me putting them on the low heat burner of our stove....all I have to do is make sure I cut the burner off before one cracks or get damaged!!!
We use Corelle all the time in microwave in boat, MH and at home. They are microwave safe. I have also placed them on top of the toaster and turned it on.
I most often use the lowest setting on smallest "burner" of elec ceramic smooth top at home. It only takes a minute or two and the burner retains some heat. With Corelle I stack 2-3 and just switch top, bot. Mid to heat all evenly.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Our plates aren’t microwaveable. They are plastic. I use my Insinkerator Instant hot water. The water is very hot and quickly heats up the plates.

Caveat...if you aren’t on 50 amp or genset, my insinkerator won’t work. Being 13 years old it pulls lots of power.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #10

Being putting our Corelle Plate/bowls in microwave for over 13 years
Bought complete set back in 2007 when we hit the road FT
Same set in our S&B short 1 Plate I broke years ago
Heat in microwave.....2 plates or 2 bowels/40 seconds (1200W Micro)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Simple......
We do that too. DW cooks on an induction hotplate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote