Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Hot water heater issues

I have looked through most of the hot water posts and cant find a answer to our problem. We have a 04 Jamboree and the hot water heater doesnt seem to stay hot. It gets almost warm and then cool again. Has anyone had this problem??? I took out the coils and cleaned them and thought that might be helpful. It starts up and you can see the pilot light. I also drained the tank thinking that might be the problem. Its is the same in all the sinks and shower. Thanks for any insight. They wanted 200 at my dealer to trouble shoot and I thought you guys might know first.
louboyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you have an outside shower, make sure the "Hot" & "Cold" knobs are fully closed. It's possible for the hot & cold to circulate if the outside shower was just turned off at the shower head, without turning the knobs closed.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
If you have an outside shower, make sure the "Hot" & "Cold" knobs are fully closed. It's possible for the hot & cold to circulate if the outside shower was just turned off at the shower head, without turning the knobs closed.

fred

Make sure of that because it happened to me and after of several hours and a couple hundred dollars later I figured out that my problem was outside valves open. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

An inside shower could do the same as the outside one if the water is on but cut off at the shower head. The standard thing of unplugging and re-plugging the spade connectors on the water heater is always a good idea. Check the bypass valves. You after all of that with no joy the circuit board for the heater would be next. What I would do in any case is to install a Hott Rod electric heater in the drain plug. I have used one for many years and I don't even know anymore if my propane still would heat the water.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

The way I read your post it's not burning long enough to get hot. You said it gets almost warm then cold. How's the water pressure? Like in previous post have you checked bypass valve?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi louboyk,
Welcome to iRV2. Suggestions about the outside shower and especially the by-pass valves are good items to check. Can you provide a little more information? Is the water heater both electric and gas or just gas powered. If on gas power and and there is a call for hot water, does the main burner light and stay lit? Check the DC voltage to the water heater and let us know what you find.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure the bypass valve is shutoff. You may be pulling a mix from the cold side.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

sounds like a possible faulty thermostat
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water