Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphite9 View Post
Alright, so I think I may have a bad battery. I’m seeing 13.8 on the batterIes the solar is connected to. The battery that’s the last line, connected to the coach, has a ton of corrosion buildup on the terminal. It’s like greenish white solidified foam on the top. Weeks back the couch got left on not on shore power so I’m guessing I toasted a battery or two
-Funny

Well no wonder- the couch was the item left on...check the voltage drop when you pull that fuse.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #16

You can't measure the battery voltage when there is a charger connected. Not the shore power charger and not the solar charge converter. Turn them off and let the batteries sit for a few hours, then check the voltage to get the real battery voltage reading.

You say that the coach was left on and discharged the batteries. I'm assuming that this took them down way lower than 50% state of charge. Going out on a limb here, I'm also guessing that this has happened before. That kind of deep discharge is not good for batteries.

Charge them as best you can, take them out, clean them well with a solution of baking soda & water (DON'T get this inside the batteries). Then, take them to the battery dealer to have them load tested. If they are good, take them home. If they are bad, get some new ones.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #17

Usually if its a bad cell, one will read lower than the others with the hydrometer.

I've had my batteries go dead before because I left something on and they wouldn't come back up via the built in charger in the MH. I had to charge them with an older manual battery charger. I'd start recharging them with the charger set at 20 amps, then when the charger needle looked like they were mostly charged, switched to 5 amps and let them charge for a full 24 hours. The coach charger maintained them fine after that as long as I didn't drain them down dead again.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #18

I replaced the house batteries in my 2007 Bounder. I turned off the rocker switches but forgot to unplug from shore power so they sparked a little, so I turned off shore power and hooked leads back up. Now I do not have any internal lights. Is it a blown fuse or circuit breaker and where is it located?
ibethepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibethepapa View Post
I replaced the house batteries in my 2007 Bounder. I turned off the rocker switches but forgot to unplug from shore power so they sparked a little, so I turned off shore power and hooked leads back up. Now I do not have any internal lights. Is it a blown fuse or circuit breaker and where is it located?
You may have hooked the batteries up backwards. In the future take a picture before removing any wires. You should have a power center that has fuses and circuit breakers. Look for problems there. Your converter is there and should have two large reverse polarity fuses. If the house batteries are dead your converter may be working fine and providing power when plugged in but the charger section of it may not be working.

In either case you need to start a new thread so people know who is asking the question. When you ask it inside an existing thread the title of the thread is not what your question is about and also if someone has already answered the original question they will not be coming back to this thread to see yours. That drastically reduces the number of answers you will receive.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #20

I assume the Interstate batteries are still covered by warranty, what has Interstate told you?

Also, quite often there is more than one ground, and more than one positive connected to the batteries.
When you described the large green/white glob on that one battery, it suggests a faulty battery, which is draining the other batteries in the same bank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If battery terminals lightly corroded w/ (white) lead Oxide, it can STOP a battery from charging over about 70-75%, so CLEAN THE TERMINALS FIRST, then slow-charge 24-72-hours, then TEST under load. 6.31-6.37vdc is 90-100% charged, when READ AT LEAST 30-MIN AFTER REMOVING CHARGER.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Batteries blowing water out the vents can be because OVERFILLED, but also can be a FAILING CELL is boiling. If one cell is boiling dry but others are not, it is a SYMPTOM of the failed/failing cell, MOST LIKELY SHORTED ELECTRICALLY? Point is that over-filling a cell can cause the acid mist on battery top, leading to extra/ extreme terminal corrosion. Do not overfill; if you do, try to move that extra to another cell that is low? Luck to ya!

Tags
batteries, house batteries