Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #15

1997 GB Pursuit will start the 454 off of the coach battery if needed. Shore power and gen charge the deep cycle(coach) battery only, on our older model. We are switching to a group 29 Interstate that is a deep/start for that reason. Peace of mind as long as the gen starts,which is not always the case.We always learn from these posts and thank everyone whom is cooperative.Tom/Karen
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #16

I don't seem to have any buttons or switches on the dash that would boost the battery from the house battery for starting. If I look under the dash would I see anything that would indicate that I do have that system, or would there be anything by the house batteries that would tell me? I otherwords, what the heck am I looking for. Thanks.
Xpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
After I purchased my 1995 Monaco Dynasty, I determined to have your same problem, that the chassis battery would only get charged when the main engine was running. I did some research and found that Monaco befan to install these as a standard feature in 1996. This involves the addition of an electrical device made by Lambert Enterprise would allow the chassis battery to be charged whenever the Coach battery was being charged. This was a Lambert model LE-415 module and was a relative simple device and very easy to install. I do not know if these are still manufactured, but the Lambert phone number is 919-402-0900.

You can find a copy of the device and installation instructions on the Internet, as I checked it out today.

Hope this helps and good luck in your ventures.

YukonJack
YukonJack can u provide a link to Lambert.

Thanks Dave Silva
dsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #18

HMMMM - will have to check the battery operation and charging setup on our '88 Winnie Super Chief - the dash has both a dual-battery operation position switch, as well as a dual-battery start switch - and I *thought* both house and engine batteries would be charged at the same time when on generator or shore power, depending on those switch settings...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you could check for the engine battery draw that sometimes can mess you up is leaving the radio on. I thought the radio would go off as soon as you turn the key off but NOPE. Our battery is charged from a roof mounted solar panel. Seems to work very well.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
KJD

I have the same problem as the OP. My question is can I take the battery cable off the engine battery after we are set up so it will not discharge? Or will that create more problems when I get ready to move? I assume that the radio in the dash will have to be reset but not sure if disconnecting the battery will do anything else like mess with the transmission in any way? Thanks.....KJD 2005 ITASCA 35U
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
I have the same problem as the OP. My question is can I take the battery cable off the engine battery after we are set up so it will not discharge? Or will that create more problems when I get ready to move? I assume that the radio in the dash will have to be reset but not sure if disconnecting the battery will do anything else like mess with the transmission in any way? Thanks.....KJD 2005 ITASCA 35U
It will clear any codes for check engine light and pending codes.
The automatic step won't be automatic while disconnected. Put the step out first.
That's the only thing I've noticed with my battery disconnect switch.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Question

Me too. Just upgraded from 98 Alpine Coach to an 05. Three days of sitting reduces chassis battery to 5 volts. Can't find anything in the manuals addressing charge of chassis battery from the Onan Inverter-Charger. Can't find any sneaky recharging connections in the battery center. Radio & step disabled. Still looking for other drains.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Me too. Just upgraded from 98 Alpine Coach to an 05. Three days of sitting reduces chassis battery to 5 volts. Can't find anything in the manuals addressing charge of chassis battery from the Onan Inverter-Charger. Can't find any sneaky recharging connections in the battery center. Radio & step disabled. Still looking for other drains.
Have you checked the battery with an hydrometer?
You may have a bad cell.
Five volts is pretty low for three days.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpoint View Post
Has anyone added a Trik L Start to their gas coach? How does work for you and how hard was it to hook up?
Three wires, Yellow, Blue, Black. No 120 VAC power cord needed. Yellow wire to the house batteries, Blue wire to the chassis battery, and Black wire to a good ground connection.

The Trik-L-Start is basically stealing power from the house batteries which are being charged either through shore power or generator power. Also, the house batteries are being charged when the alternator is running stealing power from the chassis battery.

The Battery Minder Plus add-on unit requires you to have 120 VAC shore power hooked up whereas the Trik-L-Start does not.

What is important though is; where are your batteries located? Are they all together in the same compartment or are they at opposite ends of the coach?

The Lambert Battery Maintainer company has been out of business since the owner had passed on. The web site is still active though but they are not manufacturing any more units.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Dr4Film is correct in that Lambert Enterprises in no longer in business, as I was unable to make contact with them this morning. After doing some internet searching, the Trik-L-Start device appears to be an exact replacement to the Lambert LE-415 device. The Trik-L-Start web site is www.LSLProducts.com in San Antonio, TX with a phone number of 877-257-4655. As mentioned on prior posts, the Trik-L-Start unit has only three wires, one going to a 'hot' lead of the Coach Battery and one to a Chassis Battery 'hot' lead and one to ground as indicated on their installation instructions attached to this posting.

Hope this helps

Yukon Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trik-L-Start Install Instructions.pdf (129.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf Trik-L-Start Brochure.pdf (726.3 KB, 38 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs up House batteries vs motor battery

Thanks for the info, folks. Arch, they are sealed batteries.
I connected a "temporary trickle charger" last night.
We are on shore power so I jumpered the house to chassis batteries and let the Onan Inverter-Charger take up the load, initially charging at 10 amps, by morning down to 1 amp or less. Everything is working, now to find any more drains and purchase a real Trik-L-Charger.
Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #27

Quote:
When are you people going to stop espousing this out of date information. The last major MH manufacturer to produce a rig that does not charge the chassis batteries from the gen/shore power (via the converter) was Winnebago, and they corrected that in 2006 by installing a battery minder.

Most (very nearly ALL) manufacturers NOw have this feature as standard. Granted, there are a lot of older rigs that do not have this capability.
You should take a poll of how many RVs do not have their chassis batteries charged while plugged in. You might find that your source has mislead you.... I will start by stating that our 2008 Holiday Rambler does not have charged chassis batteries from shore or Genny power.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
For the record...

our 08 monaco knight does charge both battery banks from both charging sources. It does take some time... the engine alternator will bring the chassis batteries all the way jup. Bfore the relay drops to charge the house bsatteries, and vise versi.

The circuits that control this have benn known to have problems, and are also different between different brands of motorhome.

Our first motorhome, a 99 pace arrow f53, had a board from rv custom products that was supposed to do thois. Replacing the bad board put everything back as designed.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery