Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
House Battery

Just wandering around trying to find a thread about House Battery.
Looking for recommended brands/models and why.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wet batteries are cheapest and get the job done. Trojan 105 and Interstate GC2 are common. Downside is you have to check water monthly and top up as needed.

AGM batteries perform about the same as wet, but require no maintenance. At about twice to three times the price of wet batteries. Lifeline are probably the best. Duracell are lower cost and popular.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We went with Lifeline AGMs. I really like: none of the corrosion, no fluid levels to worry about, added safety, only loses 1% of charge per month when stored vs up to 10%, etc. We found them at a good price at a local wholesaler.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've written an article on that subject - the pros and cons of various RV battery types. Basically it's pay me now or pay me later - the cheapest ones last a couple years and the more expensive grades last much longer. The other factor is maintenance requirements, basically none vs regular. If you aren't reliable about maintaining your batteries, a no-maintenance AGM may be worth the premium price.

Read more at Choosing a battery
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Interstate U-2200's in the previous Dutch Star lasted 10 years. The OEM AGM's in my present rig were bulging after 6 years. I replaced them with wet cell batteries in 2015. Will go to Lifeline AGM's next.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I just replaced 4 house batteries and the 2 coach batteries. Old batteries were Trojan T105 with ProFill watering system. I never had any issues with corrosion and watering was a 5 minute task. Old batteries were 9 years old and going strong slight bulging. Replaced them due to age and long trip this summer. I stuck with the same Trojan T105 and a new Profill system.
The cost was my main reason along with no issues from wet cells.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've written an article on that subject - the pros and cons of various RV battery types. Basically it's pay me now or pay me later - the cheapest ones last a couple years and the more expensive grades last much longer. The other factor is maintenance requirements, basically none vs regular. If you aren't reliable about maintaining your batteries, a no-maintenance AGM may be worth the premium price.

Read more at Choosing a battery
We are relative newbies in RVing and I could use your help. You. Recommend lifeline atm batteries. Could you tell me the specific type and the best place to purchase? Ours aren't holding a charge and only 2 1/2 years old. We also would like to know what is the best tool to check the charge. Any advice will be helpful. Thank. Linda Chandler.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynascar48 View Post
We are relative newbies in RVing and I could use your help. You. Recommend lifeline atm batteries. Could you tell me the specific type and the best place to purchase? Ours aren't holding a charge and only 2 1/2 years old. We also would like to know what is the best tool to check the charge. Any advice will be helpful. Thank. Linda Chandler.
We need to know more about your rv.
Plz add this info to the signature portion of your profile.
I purchased my batteries from bd batteries online about 9 years ago.
They are still working well.
There is a post in the archives of this forum with pictures.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynascar48 View Post
You don't give any history of use on your 2 1/2 year old batteries, but changing to AGM, or any other type, is not going to change how long they last. You need to care for them well.

Long battery life depends on how you treat them, not the price.

All batteries need to be stored at full charge or with a float charger running. Many MHs have items running that discharge the batteries, even with the switchs off. If you store your MH, use it every few weeks, and find it with dead batteries, that needs to be addressed.

In use, they should only be discharged to about 50% and then recharged to, minimum, 80% to 90% before the next discharge cycle. If you run them until lights get dim and charge them for an hour or two, they probably are going to fail quickly.

My advice is to replace with inexpensive batteries and add a battery monitor ( and disconnect switch if stored without power ), with the savings. That will give you a good picture of the batteries state of charge, in use. Then you will learn how to make them last, at least, twice as long as your first set.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
you can't beat the T-105's, just get the watering system.

AGM's are not what they are cracked up to they go bad too at 3X the cost
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #11

Dan L. Thank you for your response. I have updated my signature. I have a 2015 Miramar bunkhouse. I had it in the shop for repair and they let the batteries die. I have four house batteries. We are not traveling often, but plan to in the future. I have had problems with the auto start since purchase, but mainly because no one at Camping World could educate me properly. Now I know how to set it, but it requires me to set it very high and it comes on more often than it used to. I noticed the battery problem on my last trip when my fridge was turning off and not coming back on. I could hear it click and nothing would happen.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Selecting house batteries is dependent upon how you use your motor home. If you do a lot of dry camping, multiple 6-volt high quality batteries are a must. However, if you seldom dry camp and use shore power most of the time, you can reduce the quantity/quality of the batteries.

Many here are satisfied users of the Interstate GC2 batteries sold by Costco. Typically only about $85 each.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You don't give any history of use on your 2 1/2 year old batteries, but changing to AGM, or any other type, is not going to change how long they last. You need to care for them well.

Long battery life depends on how you treat them, not the price.

All batteries need to be stored at full charge or with a float charger running. Many MHs have items running that discharge the batteries, even with the switchs off. If you store your MH, use it every few weeks, and find it with dead batteries, that needs to be addressed.

In use, they should only be discharged to about 50% and then recharged to, minimum, 80% to 90% before the next discharge cycle. If you run them until lights get dim and charge them for an hour or two, they probably are going to fail quickly.

My advice is to replace with inexpensive batteries and add a battery monitor ( and disconnect switch if stored without power ), with the savings. That will give you a good picture of the batteries state of charge, in use. Then you will learn how to make them last, at least, twice as long as your first set.
We have 4 (I think) 6 volt batteries. Two came with the RV and I can't see any voltage, just a AE314P designation on battery. We added two 6 volts when we purchased RV. They are Exide Xtra 135 mins. @75 amp, 226 AH @20 hour rate. Is it better to have two 12 volts? Also, what brand of battery tool to check them to see if they are discharging too fast? I don't know half of what i'm talking about. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170406_125614104[1].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	157425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170406_125548537[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	157426  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170406_125539038[1].jpg
Views:	131
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	157427  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
We have a Thor Tuscany 40xte I want to replace the four house batteries. I would prefer the maintence free . What should i look for or is there ones better than others.

Thanks
Ken
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery