Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

House Battery Access

Hi. We just purchased a 2020 Bounder. The house batteries are under the stairs. We’re finding it difficult to access. The bolts are very large. Maybe 3/4”. The largest flat head screwdriver I can find is 5/8” which wont give enough torque. Anyone have suggestions?
CDewid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Not sure what you’re trying to do under there. Yes, a number of Class A motorhomes from different manufacturers have the house batteries there, so yours are really no different.

Most batteries are held down with threaded bolts and you loosen the clamps by using socket heads. Do you have photos of what you’re working on?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

I take it that the screw head measures about 3/4" across . But I agree with Ken that a picture would be nice.

Have you looked for a 3/8" drive screw driver bit the size you need , so you can use a ratchet ?

I know I have one , but as my wife points out OFTEN, not everyone has a 55 year collection of tools in the garage.
When you do get the existing screws out , maybe look into replacing them with , torx or allen drive screws, with bits for 3/8" drive.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #4

House Battery Access- photo

Attached a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C66E176B-3F54-4F50-A41F-FA9AF2FFCF35.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	283384  
Old 04-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #5

Attached a photo. The bolt is inverted a bit so hard to get to.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #6

Well, what I’m doing is trying to gain access to use an external charging source. The batteries are draining to point the slides wont completely go out.
I dont have access to 50 amp to plug in.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDewid View Post
Well, what I’m doing is trying to gain access to use an external charging source. The batteries are draining to point the slides wont completely go out.
I dont have access to 50 amp to plug in.
You specified '50 amp'. Do you have access to electric at all? If so you can use adapters to get from whatever is available to 50 amp connection. Naturally you'll only have available whatever amperage you're plugged into, but that should be enough to run the onboard charger.

BTW, MY rig specifies one of engine running or plugged in to shore power or generator running before moving the slides, because they are very high draw. Yours may be different, but if you're not sure you may want to check the owners manual.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

As mentioned 3/8" drive is an option .

NAPA; Auto Zone should be able to get you what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	283390  
Old 04-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #9

House Battery

It’s strange. Even with the generator running, the slides won’t go out all the way. Dealer service center said they’re confident its that the batteries are drained too far. We bought a diehard portable trickle charger but need to access the battery.

We’re obviously very new to this so figuring things out as we go along.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Really should try running engine if you haven’t. That gives the slides full 14 or so bolts if alternator. That trickle charger is not going to help much.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #11

Don't know about your new Bounder, but I never deploy or retract the slide on my vintage Eagle without the engine running.

Fire her up and let the alternator charge the batteries vs. the genset. The genny will take a LONG time to recharge your house batteries.

Once you access the batteries, go to your local Harbor Freight and get an el cheapo 3 stage battery charger and use it to bring your batteries back to life.

As you just purchased a brand new rig, it is not unusual for the batteries to be a state of discharge.

Congrats on your new Bounder!
Old 04-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Something else to look at is the battery condition itself.

If your rig sat for a long time and the battery was drained, it may have frozen and be in need of replacement.

Maybe have all your batteries tested by a shop when you get the access cover off.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

House Battery

Running the engine doesn't help either.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDewid View Post
Running the engine doesn't help either.
It may be that battys are flat dead and not accepting charge from charger via gen or alternator?
If shorted cell maybe blown fuse in charging circuit???

Agree gotta get access to batty to see what's up.
You dont have a batty disconnect sw that's off do you?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery